Serves 4No gluten, dairy, soy, egg or nuts 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced1 Tbsp oil (rice bran, olive or coconut)1 pack gluten-free pasta of choice (check it contains no dairy, soy, egg or nuts)1 tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard¾ cup …
Vietnamese rice paper rolls with coconut poached chicken.
Tanisha Kemp shares her healthy and quick recipes for busy mums to feed the family. Tanisha is a MasterChef NZ 2014 contestant, chef and food blogger at twicethespice.co.nz, and as a first time mum to Charlie, six months, she hopes to inspire other mums in the kitchen!
Vietnamese rice paper rolls are a fresh, light meal, which make for a fantastic lunch, dinner or finger food. They are versatile and can be filled with whatever you have in the fridge. It is a great idea to get the kids involved with rolling them, and children also find them exciting to eat. Reserve the stock the chicken was poached in, as this makes a great base for Asian soups. Rice paper can be found in the Asian section of supermarkets. Makes 12 rice paper rolls.
Coconut Poached Chicken:
400g skinless chicken breast
400ml tin coconut cream
1 c chicken stock
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, roughly chopped
1 chilli, chopped
1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to just below the boil. Ensure the chicken is covered with the liquid.
2. Reduce heat and simmer very gently for 15 mins (don’t overcook).
3. Remove from heat and leave the chicken to cool in the liquid.
4. Remove chicken from liquid and shred. Mix in a bowl with 1/3 c of the strained liquid.
¼ c sweet chilli sauce
juice of 1 lime
1sp fish sauce
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
1 cucumber, use a peeler to slice long strips lengthways
12 x 22cm rice paper rounds
2 carrots, peeled and finely sliced or grated
½ c roasted peanuts, finely chopped
1. Fill a wide shallow bowl with hot tap water. Soak a rice paper briefly in water until pliable but not completely soft, then lay flat on a damp teatowel.
2. Lay a strip of cucumber horizontally in the centre. On top place a small pile of carrot, chicken, peanuts, mint, coriander and peashoots. Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper tightly up over the filling and roll twice, then fold the sides in. Continue to roll up tightly.
3. Repeat with the remaining rice papers. You may need to add more hot water to the bowl as it cools down. Cover with a damp cloth if not serving immediately.
4. Serve with dipping sauce on the side.
Mandarin Panzanella with Root Vegetables and Butterbeans Makes 4–6 adult portions or 8–12 baby portions Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Dietary information: Dairy-free, gluten-free option (use gluten-free bread), …
Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Baked Beans Makes about 16 small hash browns Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Dietary information: Dairy-free, gluten-free option (use gluten-free flour), nut-free and vegetarian Baked beans …
In Japanese “Oya” means parent, and “Ko” means child and hence the name for this chicken and egg dish! It is a very simple yet tasty meal and great for a quick lunch or dinner. Serves 1 preparation time 5 minutes, cooking time 8 …
Broccoli truly deserves to be classified a ‘superfood’ – loaded with vitamins and minerals,including vitamins A, C and K, as well as the all-important folate. It's the star attraction in this easy stir-fry. Serves 2Ingredients1 teaspoon olive oil2 …
Spinach is a great source of vitamin C, folate and fibre and a great food to have on handthroughout your pregnancy. It's a great addition to a warming baked potato. Serves 2Ingredients2 large sweet potatoes100g baby spinach150g mozzarella cheese, …
A simple lunch or dinner to satisfy your craving for something salty or nutty, with the zing of fresh limes. Ingredients 200 g (7 oz) rice noodles boiling water, as required 1 tablespoon shelled unsalted peanuts 2 handfuls baby spinach …
Chicken and leek pie 15 minutes prep time | 50 minutes cooking time | serves 4 Ingredients:20g butter2 cloves garlic, crushed1 large leek, sliced lengthwise then chopped1 carrot, grated½ tsp dried tarragon½ tsp wholegrain mustard20g flour1½ cups …
Ratatouille lasagne 30 minutes prep time | 1 hour cooking time | serves 4 Ingredients:2 Tbsp oil1 onion, diced2 cloves garlic, crushed½ tsp ground cumin½ tsp paprika1 cup pumpkin, peeled and cubed1 courgette, sliced80g mushrooms, sliced400g can of …
Fish burgers 10 minutes prep time | 20 minutes cooking time | serves 4 Ingredients:400g white fish like Hoki, chopped roughly1 spring onion½ cup fresh herbs (eg parsley, dill and tarragon)pinch of chilli flakes1 egg yolkzest and juice of 1 lemon½ …