Adapted from a recipe found on Food.com, this cornflour sponge cake is gluten- and dairy-free (if you can resist piling on the whipped cream!). Sarah Tennant refers to this recipe in her article on creating allergy-friendly birthday cakes (from …
Gluten-free lemon orange meringue pie
Taken from Sweet: Treats to Share, this is a delicious gluten-free dessert from Jimmy Boswell.
Gluten-free Short Sweet Pie Crust
½ cup melted margarine
½ cup ricotta
½ cup sour cream
1½ cups white rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tbsp cornflour
2 cups caster sugar
pinch of salt
1. Mix together the margarine, ricotta and sour cream. Sift in the dry ingredients and form into a ball of dough. Roll the dough out into a circle between two sheets of rice-floured plastic wrap. Transfer to a 25cm flan dish and flute the edges. Chill for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wrap the edges of the crust in foil and bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove the foil and allow to cool completely. Turn the oven down to 160°C.
3. To make the filling, grate the lemon and orange zest, making sure not to get any of the white pith. Set aside.
4. Use a sharp knife (or small serrated knife) to remove all the skin and pith from the fruit. Segment the fruit and squeeze the juices into the bowl of a food processor, making sure to remove any pips. Add the segments to the bowl and pulse at high speed until they are completely broken up. Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
5. Combine the cornflour and one and a half cups sugar. Add to the fruit, whisking to combine. Beat in 3 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks (reserve 3 egg whites). Stir in 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest and all but half a teaspoon of the orange zest. Transfer the mixture to a heavy-based, medium saucepan over a low heat.
Whisk until the mixture thickens but does not boil. Continue whisking vigorously for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
6. Spread the filling evenly into the cooled crust. Using an electric mixer, beat the reserved egg whites and salt in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Beat in the reserved orange zest.
7. Spread the meringue over the filling and bake until meringue is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Reproduced with permission from Sweet: Treats to Share. Published by Penguin Group NZ. RRP $45.00. Copyright recipe © Jimmy Boswell, 2014. Copyright photography © Manja Wachsmith, 2014. Available nationwide.
For a recipe from the same book for Tiramisu click here.
This chocolate mousse cake is gluten-free and a delicious treat. The recipe is adapted from David Lebovitz and mentioned in Sarah Tennant's article on creating allergy-friendly birthday cakes (as seen in issue 40 of OHbaby! Magazine), entitled Let …
Make the most of summer berries with this luscious upside down berry cake. Ingredients 2 tbsp brown sugar 800g mixed berries* such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries 100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly 150g almond meal 1/4 …
Rice pudding is a fantastic dessert for adults as well as babies. Incredibly easy to make and suitable for all seasons. It is comforting, delicious and creamy and can be served rustic in bowls or beautifully in stemless wine glasses. The sugar can …
Here’s a decadent dessert to spoil mum, that even your youngest chef will be able to handle! Kids of all ages can create a little dessert magic with a simple shake and squirt of Chef de Can’s Strawberry Mousse. Layer this velvety smooth strawberry …
CHOCOLATE GUINNESS CAKE 250 g (1 cup and 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter250 ml (1 cup) Guinness75 g Dutch process cocoa ( 3/4 cup), sifted275 g (2 + 1/4 cup) all purpose flour, sifted2 teaspoons baking soda400 g (2 cups) sugar2 medium eggs150 ml …
Apple CharlotteOne of my favourite desserts is bread and butter pudding - an oldie but a goodie. This recipe is similar to that, and is great served with custard or cream. It is one of those simple recipes we would cook with Gran after she invited …
Fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chipsMakes 24Ingredients for the fruit salsa• 4 apples, peeled, cored, and diced • 6 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced • 6 bananas, peeled and sliced • 4 oranges, peeled and sliced• 2 tsp fresh lime juice • 1/3 cup jam …
Jelly cups Makes 24 Ingredients• 4 jellies of different colours (such as lemon, lime, raspberry, and orange)• 2 litres boiling water• 24 small transparent plastic cups• 2 kiwifruit, peeled and diced• 1 orange, peeled and diced• 1 apple, peeled and …
These delicious blueberry pie bars are great for an afternoon tea or can be dressed up as a yummy dessert, they can be made with fresh or frozen berries. INGREDIENTS Crust and Crumble Topping 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted 1/2 cup granulated …