OHbaby! are going on holiday! Well, occasionally we will be, and we'll let you know all about it. We'll be braving long and short haul trips, around New Zealand and the world, and letting you know how we get on. We'll be the guinea pigs, and …
Kids' activities for visitors to Palmerston North and the Manawatu
Thanks to our Facebook friends for their family-friendly ideas for things to do in Palmerston North and Manawatu.
1. Victoria Esplanade (has heaps of things often we only do one at a time)
- Feed the ducks
- talk to the native birds
- paddling pond
- bike rides
- Scenic Railway rides
- Rose gardens
2. Marriner Reserve Miniature Railway (Alternative weekends). Click here.
3. Memorial Park: Paddling pool, Park and Bikerides and ducks!
4. Palmerston North City Library: loads to do, books, videos, music days, video game systems (and Wifi). Branch libraries have heaps going on too!
5. Riverside Walkway along the Manawatu River: Bike, walk, run... lovely and more ducks at intervals
6. Monarchs In Apollo Park: This is a developing butterfly park, a great place to volunteer, and wonder and explore!
7. Pit Park: Again, loads to do and help with if so inclined.
8. Freyberg or Lido swimming pools: Both great all year but Lido has outdoor facilities for summer, and water slides for children aged 8+.
9. Vertex Climbing Gym - Park Road - Rock climbing - can cope with approximately 4yrs and up.
10. Te Manawa: A museum and science centre, loads of kid-friendly activities including a house and playhouse set up for kids (all indoor so fab on wet days) and many things free.
11. Beaches: Great to get everyone outdoors and do fun activities with all the family. Collecting shells/ pipis, fishing, swimming, cafes, playground, walks.
12. Makino Pool, Feilding: Great indoor/outdoor pool which is family friendly with large outdoor shade cover and bbq facilities. Late nights during summer.
13. Mini Golf Feilding: Great little mini golf, situated next to the Makino Pool and Park!
14. Focal Point Cinema Feilding: Fabulous cinema that has started showing kids films! Comfy seats, family friendly service with cafe and restaurant! Great for those rainy days.
Alice Parminter and family discover Ireland, and that travel with a toddler has its benefits, to be sure. Like many Kiwis, I’ve travelled before. But no adventure has ever been quite like this – our first trip as a family. I knew it wouldn’t be …
Catching up with family is a good excuse for a holiday – especially if your relatives live in Bangkok. Alice Veysey took her family on a journey of discovery. There’s something quite transformative about seeing the world through your children’s …
Veteran traveller Hannah Symister shares her top travelling tips for the mama-to-be. I will never forget flying to London from Morocco early on in my pregnancy with my first child. We had just enjoyed a very relaxing time away in Marrakech, …
Alanna dennis and her family took a trip to the south island alpine township of hanmer springs, lured by the promise of crisp mountain air and relaxation. Travelling with our toddlers has always been tricky – but a short domestic plane ride from …
Having a baby may clip your wings somewhat, but as Oliver Driver discovers, it is still possible to get up and go. This is the end, we thought. No more big city adventures, no more island escapes, no more drinking Coronas under the Mexican sun or …
If you're bracing yourself for the stop-start of holiday traffic right now, here’s one for the road. If you suffer from car sickness, you're not alone. New research just in from Ford and motion sickness experts explains it's a condition that …
Former flight attendant and new mum Alice Cranfield offers 13 tips for travelling long-haul with baby. Before becoming a mother, I had worked as a flight attendant and over the years I helped hundreds of parents who braved long-haul flying with …
A couple’s retreat may seem logistically impossible for new parents but is well worth the investment (and wait!), as Ellie Gwilliam discovers. It’s a strange feeling – dropping your children off at school, waving goodbye to the grandparents and …
Former OHbaby! Editor Ellie Gwilliam packs the family into a campervan for a weekend break in the Coromandel. Our kids were looking forward to our weekend in a “Campfor Ban” with the level of anticipation usually reserved for birthdays and …