Here comes the sun! Sun hats are a must in the summer so best to get the hat-wearing habit sorted early.
Choosing a hat
It can have as many bells and bows as your little one desires but remember to go for good coverage. The best sun hats come in three main styles: the wide-brimmed swagman hat, the bucket hat (brim should be at least 6cm wide) and the legionnaire hat, which is a cap with flaps covering the neck and ears.
Also, remember that dark fabrics give more protection than lighter colours and choose a close weave rather than something loosely woven.
Babies' skin is much thinner than adults' skin so is more at risk of sun damage yet so often a summer outing is spoiled by a determined little one refusing to wear his hat. If the hats are coming off in your house try our tips below:
- Zero tolerance: Some parents firmly stick to the rule of no hat, no going outside. If the hat is off junior is straight back inside.
- Monkey see, monkey do: Make sure you always wear a hat outside yourself.
- Keep trying: It's hard work but if your child keeps taking his hat off, just keep putting it back on. And hopefully he'll get tired of the battle before you do.
- Early training: If you have a baby under four months start training her into wearing a hat now - maybe for half an hour a day until she's used to wearing it.
- Let your child choose his own hat at the start of the summer. One with his favourite cartoon character may encourage more wear.
- Better yet, buy a plain hat and let him paint and decorate it himself.
- Hang hats on hooks just beside the front door so they're easy to grab on the way out.
Crowning glories (pictured from top)
- JK Kids Brimmed Swim Hat, $19.99
- Toshi Cap Flap Baby, $34.95 from Kid Republic
- eeni meeni miini moh Belle hat in Butter Print, $AU39 from www.eenimeeni.com.au
- Dimples nautical striped cotton sunhat, $44.90 from www.dimples.co.nz
- Oobi Ava Tulip Hat, RRP$36.80 from www.oobi.com.au
- Eternal Creation Blue Boy Hat, AU$29.95 from www.eternalcreation.com
(Prices accurate at time of publication, December 2011)
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 16 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW