FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBottle Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:34pm
LOL yup Emz, I once posted a photo of all the bottles lined up in my fridge one night after I'd done the nightly wash, sterilise and make up formula session.

And yep Auntie Sarah, common as. Maya would only ever take Avent.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:51pm
I remember that photo Emma! All I could think was poor you having to wash them all!

My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 10:06pm
Ah yes, but imagine the effort that went into filling them all with EBM! Formula was such a relief!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 12:39am
I dont have a baby (yet!) BUT , i just wanted to say good on you jes for creating this thread, sadly ,your right , there doesnt seem to be as much support for ladies that chose to bottle feed , and why ? yes we all know that ideally breast is best, but we dont live in an ideal world, and sometimes it just doesnt work out that way , at the end of the day , your doing what you need to do, providing food for your baby , and isnt that the important thing ?
When you have your baby , you promise them that you will protect them and feed them , and you are doing exactly what you promised, thats all that should matter .

Okay , lurker will stop rambling now
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 3:10pm
I've never noticed, mind you I've hardly used the TT ones yet.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 3:43pm
The TT bottles have those valves on the teats Jess so maybe that has something to do with it??

I my TT Closer to Nature bottles... they saved mine and Keziah's life as before them I had tried several different brands from Avent to Generic and she wouldn't take any of them and wasn't getting enough on the boobie... so when I got my TT and she took it first time with no stress I was relieved
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 6:18pm
hi ladies as ive said before I express bm and today I had to give my bubs his first formula top up as I didnt produce enough milk this morning, it sucks the hole breast is best thing, I already felt bad for expressing exclusively but its best for bubs as he was feeding for 2-3 hours and then the guilt of giving him formula!

Does anyone give top up forumla at night to help them sleep better / longer? does it work? im thinking of doing this once a day which should help with my milk supply suplementing a feed - DH has been giving me grief about this idea saying its a cop out etc so frustrating!!!!

This thread is great to know your not the only one out there and there is lots of support
[/url]
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:02pm
Thank you cuppatea - that's an interesting point, definately something to think about.
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:06pm
*lurker in*

Just wanting to offer my support to all mums who have chosen to bottle feed their bubs for whatever reason. My three were all ff, albeit years ago, and even though they're now teenagers I can still remember the feeling of isolation and failure that came with that. For me alot of those feelings were created by myself and not what anyone else said to me.

I think it's great that there is a thread for mums to talk about all the practical things that go along with ff as well as some understanding of the associated feelings.

Remember parenthood isn't a competition, sometimes you'll be ahead of the ball, sometimes behind. The final goal is the same for everyone - happy, healthy babies that grow into confident, secure adults. And we all have a different game plan to get there.

*lurker out*
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by Jezsika Jezsika wrote:

Ok this is a maybe wierd observation but has anyone who has gone from Avent to Tommee Tippee noticed this?

Shake the formula in the Avent and you get HEAPS of air in it and the bubbles stay there for ages.

Shake the formula in the Tommee Tippee and there are NO bubbles what so ever?

FAB :D

I found the same when Alize was having a bottle, I ended up ditching all the advent bottles and giving them to the DC to have as back up and got all TT. They are great and very cute colours too lol

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:52pm
FINALLY a pro-bottle feeding thread!

Maybe now we will get the information and support we deserve!

Thanks Jess

You all know my story (see issue #2 of Oh baby [:0]

Caitlin is now 2 and still has 2 bottles of soy milk
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 8:03pm
We did formula top ups at night for a while (from about 2 months), I'm not sure if it helped him sleep longer as we introduced a routine at that time as well, but I found when expressing full time sometimes by evening I would be low on milk and not be able to pump enough so instead would give formula at 10pm and then ebm again when he woke in the night. I think quite often women struggling to keep up with when pumping full time as its not the same stimulation as baby suckling. Although I think there is one lady on here how did it till 6 months (I can't remember who though).

We have used avent bottles and microwave steriliser which I wouldn't be without. We have 4 bottles, it meant more washing when he was little but that's ok you get into a routine with it. Spencers formula can only be made up for an hour before being binned so we have one of those little formula pots and take the bottles out with just water in them. He has finally started drinking his milk at room temp which is a relief and mean I don't have to carry a thermos anymore.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 8:11pm
Yummymummy EBM-fed Gina till 6 months and is still EBM-feeding Emma.

As I said in the July thread Kye I gave the gremlins formula at night for their 10.30pm dream feed but it didn't help them to sleep longer. It did make my life easier tho coz it was one less feed I had to express, plus it got them used to the taste of the formula so that when I weaned fully at 10 weeks I didn't have any problems getting them to take the formula.

If you are keen to keep expressing (and believe me, I don't blame you if you're not coz I know how hard it is!) I found Naturo Pharm Milk Flow spray was great for boosting my supply so I could keep up with the gremlins.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
CaseysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 8:18pm
Another bottle fed baby here :) She was breast fed (though don't think she got much) and supplemented up to about a week ago and now is fully on the bottle. Good to see this thread I think it could be good for those First timers to get some support - I remember back with my first how horrible it was and how little info you had to go on - at least this is my second time around so i have a lot more knowledge - and also found I ended up with a better hospital experience as the midwives weren't so judgemental at the hospital this time

We use standard bottles (ie not the wide ones) with the standard NUK nipples in them - these are the same I used with my other daughter and they work with her too. I do have one tommee tippee wide neck bottle which she use to drink from ok but now she refuses it.

I've just ordered some Dr Browns natural flow botles as i need a few more so I'm interested to see how those work out too. Anyone tried these??
catgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 11:07pm
I've used Dr Browns bottles with both of my babies.

When I had my son, you could only get the wide-neck ones here so we got them for him.   He took to these better than any of the other bottles I tried him on & he had less wind too.

I recently bought the standard/narrow-neck ones for my 8 week old as she seemed to have trouble getting a good seal around the wide-neck teats. The standard bottles have made a huge difference to how much she takes.   She immediately took 120mls in about 1/2 hour (struggled to get 90mls into her in an hour with the wide-neck version) and has been increasing her volumes since then.   

So it definitely can pay to try out different bottles/teats.

Edited by catgirl

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 9:50am
This is my first EVERY post and it is to say how happy I am to see something pro-FF or at least not bashing those of us who use bottles for what ever reason.

My two DD are both bottle babies (DD1 from 4 weeks and DD2 from 6 weeks). They are both beautiful girls who are very healthy and happy. As someone said earlier - breastfeeding does not make you a better or more loving mother.

I had never considered FF - just assumed that I would BF but about 20 mins after DD1 was born my midwife commented that I had rather flat nipples (who knew!) and it was down hill from there - don't need to share the details!

Thank you for starting the thread - I am happy with my decision now and know what I am doing (well as much as you can when you are a mum!) but there are a lot of mums out there who have no support or info in this area and the decision is nearly always one that is coming at a very stressful time.

Edited by jaycee

Rowena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:56am
Just found this thread great idea Jesika I think bottlefeeding mums need as much support as breastfeeding mums.

I have to say that I actually feel closer to Jamie now I'm bottlefeeding cause I'm not so stressed.

We use avent bottles and S26 formula - mo problems so far. I can't believe how chubby my wee man is now looking before we put him on formula he was looking like a skeleton you could see all his ribs
CaseysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:02pm
jaycee - you sound similar to my situation - glad i'm not the only one that didn't realise their nipples weren't "normal" - DD1 never latched so was express fed to 6 weeks, DD2 was fed till 5 weeks but both were supplemented pretty much since birth

catgirl - thanks for the feed back on the Dr Brown bottles - I'm really looking forward to giving them a go - hopefully they'll be here tomorrow :)
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:12pm
yeah - who knew that they weren't *normal*!!

I agree that I felt closer to both Amy and Sophie when we switched to the bottle. They were happier, I was happier, DH was happier (because me and the baby were no longer crying all the time!!!). Even the dog was happier as he got some attention too.

In the long run I think that happy mums and babies is the MOST important thing. If you looked around a playground you would not be able to tell which child had been BF or FF.

lucky3rdtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 4:06pm
Sprials, if that is the way you feel, just stick to your guns. People also kept telling me I would change my mind when I had my baby, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. DH actually got to give Gabs her very first feed and as cuppatea said you can give colostrum, BUT you don't have to. I never did and my baby is fine. I told my midwife the first time I met her that I wasn't going to breastfeed, I was worried she would try to talk me into it, but she was very supportive and realised that if I was happier formula feeding then it would make bonding with my baby easier and I could enjoy her instead of dreading feeding her.

I also found the midwives at the hospitals very supportive, we went to St Georges in Chch and we had already done a tour there and I discussed ffing with a midwife there at the time of the tour. They supplied bottles, but I could have brought my own and I brought formula as we are using karicare hypoallergenic formula because I get dermatitis, but they can supply formula as well. My midwife also told the people at St Georges not to bother me with bfing info as I wasn't going to, she was really great about it actually.

I am annoyed at the little info there is out there about ffing but if you look for it you can find it. My midwife gave me lots of info. I also got a lot of info from the nutricia website (who make karicare).   If you go to the nutricia website you can get a free sample which is a whole tin.

The way we feed is we make up a jug of formula that will only be enough for 24 hours maximum and keep it in the fridge and just put as much as we need to in a bottle when she is due for a feed, I heat it by putting it in a jug of boiling water.

The Phil and Teds Latte bottles are a good invention for travelling as you can put the water in the bottom and the formula in the top and then straighten the bottle and shake when you need to feed bubs. I found these at baby city.

A couple of other things too after 3 months you don't have to steralise the bottles anymore and you don't need to use cooled boiled water anymore ( if you are on town supply). My plunket nurse advised me this.

And yes the microwave steryliser was a godsend prior to her being 3 months old.

God its so nice to be able to tell my experience without people beratting me, thanks for starting this thread.

Sorry about the novel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>