FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBottle Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 8:56pm
LittleN, we had some similar issues with screaming, arching, pulling off etc.. and I was so confused if DS had reflux, wind, or if I had too much or too little milk. Plus I was worried that he was dropping down the graph (though still gaining) rather than going up. I started doing top ups with formula and pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks) he refused to BF altogether so we switched to formula full time then too.

I also felt awful about it as wasn't ready to give up and felt terrible it hadn't worked out for us. But in saying that DS was so much happier and feeding was so much more relaxed so it had to be a good thing.

I love the name Noah by the way
Sponsored Links

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 3:19pm
Thanks for the message Chelle it makes me feel a lot better to know someone else has been down the same road. Its been very tough but Im trying to find peace with it as baby needs to eat and I want him (and me) to be happy. You're right about it being better when feeding is relaxed, it always broke my heart that something that they are supposed to enjoy was making him feel so bad

And thanks, we love the name Noah too and it suits him perfectly :)

Edited by LittleN
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
aydee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 4:07pm
Hey LittleN, I had a similar story to you where I never had enough milk and I expressed after every feed, 3 hourly, used a lactaid, took domperidone, blessed thistle, fenugreek, ate loads of food and protein etc etc.. basically tried all the tricks to make it work and after 8 weeks ended up having to give up as DD was getting so fussy and upset when feeding, which would upset me and it all went pear shaped. I was exhausted but devastated to stop. Went on to get super depressed after stopping as I stopped cold turkey - I should have realised but didn't know to stop gradually so the hormonal shift made me feel anxious and depressed. It took me about a month to feel 'normal' again but a bit longer than that to actually make peace with myself that I was formula feeding when ALL I wanted was to BF. It's such a shame so much pressure is put on us to BF when I am SO much happier now that I have a happy baby and not spending half my time expressing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Formula and judgemental comments are the last thing we need

Have you tried domperidone and the other herbal remedies.   I know they work for some people, not for me, unfortunately. I also know of other people who had a low milk supply and did manage to get their supply up to full BF but it took 3 months - a lot of hard work of expressing after every feed and trying to relax as much as possible - which I know is really hard to do when you're under stress of it not working the way you want.

I hope you're happy with where you are at and remember the most important thing for your baby is to have a happy MUM
KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2011 at 12:57pm
My little DS has been FF since day 1 due to an extended labour of about 5 days, then having epidural and being induced, I just had no colostrum for the poor boy, so had to resort to giving him formula. (he did have one feed of cololstrum) Once my milk came in I did try BF'ing again, but he just wouldnt latch and wouldnt stop screaming he was that hungry.

He is happy as and thriving. Is already nearly 7kgs, so the decision to FF is the best that could have done, and he is currently sitting in his rocker makings lots of funny noises and laughing at dad.
EcoMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EcoMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 7:12am
We did BF for nearly 3 months, then started introducing a bottle of formula once a day because Lilijanna is going to daycare at 5 months. She is 4 months now and we are doing the opposite - bottle for every feed except 1.
I tried expressing but I just couldnt get the hang of it - my nipple would just get stuck in the pump nozzle thing (great to have long nipples for BF though! we had no problems!) so I tried hand expressing which was more successful, but took forever! and bubs would want to be feed by the time I had finished messing around with it.

Lili loves her bottle. When I use the 150ml bottle she likes to hold it herself and she easily finishes 220mls from the big bottle. She has had lots of different people give her the bottle too - I feel good in knowing that she wont have any trouble feeding at daycare.

I think any mummy that is feeding their baby regardless of how the food gets in there - is doing a great job and is always thinking of baby first. It depresses me sometimes to think of the arguements and fuss over BF or Formula when there are kids in our country who have no meals and go to school hungry everyday.

I tell you what is also great about the bottle (confession time) we got a few varieties of bottle and she has definately got a preference. There is one type of bottle that she hates which I have 2 of......I make a nice warm bottle of milky milo in the unused bottle and it has become mummies bottle (not that Lili would ever see me with it and my partner has no idea, totally my secret) but it is sooo nice to be able to lie horizontally in bed with a book and have a hot drink without sitting up.
minxynzl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minxynzl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 9:23am
Hi all. Second time Mum here - my eldest is 20 years odl and my youngest is 4 1/2 months!
I have recently changed to bottle as he has moved from 25th percentile to 17th percentile in weight. I have suspected for a while that I wasn't able to give him what he needs and plunket suggested a top up of formula. I find that my milk has now pretty much stopped and what I am producing, he is finding difficult to take from me. I'm sad about that as I had hoped to keep at least some supply goping, especially as I enjoy it and he likes to breastfeed to sleep if we are out (doesn't settle well to sleep unless in cot). But at least he is putting on weight now.

A few questions:
He only takes a max of 150ml - 180ml per feed. I am hoping he will incrase this and spread his feeds out as he gets used to taking a larger feed? I'm guessing he has never had a good sized feed from breast before hence his smaler botle feeds? What do most of your 4 mth olds take in a sitting?

What do you find most convenient and safe way of going out with a preprepared bottle?

Thanks guys - I am so new to this.
Tyrbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 3:27pm
Hi Minxynzl, I have bottled fed my DS since 9 weeks. Between 4-6 months he was having 5 bottles a day (7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm) and around 180ml to 240ml. I find it easier to fill the bottles each morning for the day and when going out I would keep them inside the avent thermabag so the bottle was still warm and mixed better with the formula. Also really good to invest in a powder dispenser so you can just bring what formula you need for the day not the whole tin.

I developed a good bum patting routine which could put DS to sleep in a noisy environment within minutes, doesn't work now though!

GL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 9:46pm
Hi minxy, my DS only took 180ml up until about 7 months, roughly every 4 hours by that stage. He's now drinking 220ml at 8 months. So I think that's a good amount and you don't need to worry too much. My plunket nurse told me they put more than you really need to give them on the formula cans to make you use more/buy more. So I think he's doing just fine. At 4 months my DS was drinking about 150ml per bottle every 3-4 hrs.
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 9:48pm
Also I just fill bottles with cooled boiled water then have a few feeds in a formula dispenser. I don't heat the formula if I'm out- you don't actually have to, you can give it cold or warm, and my baby is used to both so I only heat it if I have the option. Has always been pretty easy for me doing it like that
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
Guest_58909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_58909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 10:38am
Wow a place I can talk about FF without being vilified! (I hope ) My baby is 3 1/2 months old and although I am very petite myself, at 3 month plunket visit she weighed just over 5kgs and was in 9th %ile. She hasn't lost any weight and has been gaining weight steadily since birth - she wasn't prem - but is it enough?? Plunket nurse didn't express any concern but then again she is just 1 person and could that be because I have been BF and "nothing can go wrong with BF!!"(sarcasm). My baby seemed happy enough but for various reasons I have decided to put her on the bottle. She hates the taste of formula! After trying fancy bottles that try to be like the boob & nipple I found she just likes the very plain teat. I've tried expressed milk but it takes way too long & I don't have the time what with having a 6yr old aswell. It's very frustrating as there are hardly any resources on FF & I don't have much idea what to do. Does anyone have tips?
Nadia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 2:48pm
Guest- There is nothing wrong with fromula feeding so don't let plunket get you down. Does it seem like she is in pain when she drinks it or just dosnt want it? If so she could have silent reflux but just sounds like she is trying to get used to the formula. If she refuses to take the formula you are on I would try changing to soy as it tastes diffrent and some babys will drink that rather than normal formula
[URL=http://lilypie.com][IMG]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/0UKrA9O.jpg][IMG]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/0UKrp12.png][/URL]
MinaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 10:51pm
You won't be judged here guest, mums turn to bottle feeding for various reasons only you know what works for you. If you can find samples of formula try that as It's expensive to buy different cans. You could try mixing breast and formula to get bubs used to the taste. We went through all the bottles and formula, it was exhausting and costly. In the end he had silent reflux and milk allergy. Was this was solved it was smooth sailing.
Plunket are good but also listen to your gut, as a mum you know what's right and wrong you just have to learn to trust your instinct. Good luck.
Woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 12:31am
The Great Link Cuppatea, I bought a new glass bottle from Faucet Face , and I am satisfied with its quality & results. I advise it to all those people who are not using these bottles till now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>