FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBottle Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:49pm
There is a thing about chemical free baby bottles tomorrow on that what's in our food programme. It is on 3 same time as hells kitchen is on.

Sponsored Links

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 8:21pm
I've never heard of Dr Brown bottles - what's the difference between them and Avent for example? I know there was talk about glass being the only "safe" option but I've never seen glass baby bottles anywhere.

Maybe we should start a "things you should have been told about FFing" thread?
There is so much that you can get wrong that can do your baby harm and no one is willing to tell you! I get really het up about this kind of thing. As you know I wanted to BF but it really took the stuffing out of me and my quality of care for my daughter was at risk so I put her first (as well as my sanity) but when you still want to do the right thing by your child you're not offered any help of support because of the blardy WHO guidelines!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 9:12pm
I have some glass bottles, evenflo ones. I got them from www.naturebaby.co.nz. Although you can't get a glass sippy cup etc so it doesn't really help that much.

kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 9:57pm

You can also get glass bottles from http://www.babyonline.co.nz/

We heard about the "why plastic feeding bottles may be dangerous" debate when DS was about 5 months old and wished we'd known about it before he was born, so we could have avoided plastic bottles. [From website above "Recent studies show that Bisphenol A (chemical used in the production of polycarbonate plastics) can leach out and potentially have development effects on infants and newborns."]  

lucky3rdtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 11:07am
I have seen glass nuk bottles at baby city. I chose plastic as I thought they would be easier to clean and less likely to break and I"ve heard you can't microwave steralise glass bottles, but I don't know if that is true. Wish I had known about the risk of plastic leaching chemicals before I had Gabs.

I heard on good morning before they were talking about bfing and the woman actually said that however you feed you should be able to get all the information you need and I thought yeah right, try telling that to any ffing mum. You can't even get the info from antenatal classes in front of the whole class, like its a shameful thing to do.
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 1:45pm

golly there's so much you need to know about FF.

Told my MW we were starting FF she seemed fine about it. now to tell my mum. she is pro BF right up there with blimmen la leche. she BF 5 kids each one till they were 18 mnths or so never even used bottles for water just TT sippa cups. I feel like i'm letting her down somehow as ryan is her first grandchild so i should set the standard or something. It's just easier for us.

Wow what a vent.

oh someone said something about making this thread and a BF thread sticky aye. How about having it on the first forum topics page like the 'cloth nappy' thread. emma??

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 2:17pm
Yeah maybe a whole new feeding section to the forum so that we don't end up over running the first baby area. Could be for breastfeeding, bottle feeding, solids, fussy toddlers etc.

catgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Two Blondinis Two Blondinis wrote:

I've never heard of Dr Brown bottles - what's the difference between them and Avent for example? I know there was talk about glass being the only "safe" option but I've never seen glass baby bottles anywhere.

The main difference is that there are extra parts ie a long funnel thing that goes into the bottle. It's meant to cut down on the amount of air thats swallowed. I tried every bottle out there before coming across these ones as my babies have major wind problems, and I feel these bottles have made a difference. They also don't leak - our Avent ones always seemed to leak and it drove me crazy! I think NatureBaby sells the glass bottles (i've got a bunch in my cupboard I got from Baby Factory a couple of years ago but i think they were getting rid of them).

We didn't get told anything about bottlefeeding at my antenatal class either because of the WHO guidelines. We live in a country where formula is available, so we should have also be given information about how best to use it IMO.   Bottlefeeding is not as easy as some people make out as there are so many choices about bottles, teats, formula and sterilising just for a start. I'm just thankful that I live in a country where formula is available or my babies would have starved. I sometimes feel like wearing a badge that says "formula-feeding & proud of it!"

Edited by catgirl

lucky3rdtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 2:59pm
catgirl says:
I sometimes feel like wearing a badge that says "formula-feeding & proud of it!"

I'll buy one off you
CaseysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 6:06pm
lucky3rdtime - yeah i found st georges great this time around. I start with breastfeeding but have always started supplementing from when I'm in hospital and I had a really bad time the first time around at chch womans as some of the midwives would "tell me off" for letting her get given a bottle instead of using a syringe or spoon. At st georges the midwife simply asked whether what i would do at home and i said bottle so they were like fine, we might as well just use a bottle from the start then

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 7:09pm
I love the idea of having a feeding area - whether it is BF, FF or solids.

It is such a big area and all three are such huge stressful areas for many (all?) mums.

I think that having more info available for Mums who choose to or have to FF is very important. Supporting BF is great but not everyone can do it. I personally feel that the support BF has gone too far and demonizes FF mums. Most are beating themselves up enough, without other people adding their disaproving looks and even worse, comments.

Sorry, rant over.

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by lucky3rdtime lucky3rdtime wrote:

catgirl says:
I sometimes feel like wearing a badge that says "formula-feeding & proud of it!"

I'll buy one off you

That was exactly my intention when I did the article in Oh Baby hence my rant at the end about us not getting enough info.

Great idea about the Feeding section
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 9:17pm
Due to over-expressing in NNU for the first 3wks of Carys' life, I ended up with massive oversupply. My daughter was an amazing BFer from the time she was first allowed to, latched perfectly, drank like a trooper and thanks to all my milk, gained more weight than she needed

Unfortunately for me, the oversupply resulted in blocked ducts that I couldn't shift and severe pains that made labour seem insignificant. I still have tenderness in my left breast and I haven't been producing milk for over 5mths. I held out far too long, eventually giving up and bottle feeding from 3mths onwards. I mostly held out because I am a stubborn mule but the social stigma surrounding bottle feeding babies didn't help.

As soon as I get the first sign of pain or difficulty next time around, I'm bringing out the bottle - there is no need for anyone to go through that amount of pain and anguish when other, completely suitable options are available.

My girl has loved her bot-bot from day1 of bottle feeding and she hasn't been any the worse off for giving up BFing. My only regret is that I let it go as far as I did before switching, I lost a lot of myself in the process and many happy hours with my daughter than 'could have been'.

Thank you for this thread, I hope many mothers receive the support and confidence they need from it.
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 5:14pm

have you all seen the Breast feeding ads on TV. They always seem to come on when i'm about to stick a bottle in Ryan's mouth.

Sarah Mum to,

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 5:32pm
I only just noticed this thread!

Chloe was fed EBM in avent bottles for the first 3 and a half months (I had an oversupply like Kye and she took hours to feed, latching on and off, screaming etc. but was fine on the bottle). By then my supply dwindled a little and when Chloe got tonsilitis at 3 and a half months I just couldn't handle expressing anymore so we moved onto formula.

We started out on Nestle Nan Gold, because someone had given us a tin of that which they didn't use, then we moved onto Karicare as the other one seemed to make her get an upset tum. But that made her constipated, so we moved onto Heinz Nuture (regular blue tin). And she's been on that ever since. We have just moved onto the Heinz red tin one, as Chloe is 6 months old now!!

We were using gaviscon and infacol and rhugar and alsorts into her bottles but since she reached 5 months her reflux seems to have almost disappeared like magic! Still a little chucky but nothing like she was. So now she just has formula and it's SO EASY now that we don't have to add loads of things, and sterilise and boil water etc.

Although I found those things a lot less tedious than doing all the same as well as expressing... that was exhausting.

Anyways... nice to join the thread
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 6:04pm

oh by the way who watched that thing on TV3 last night about not microwaving plastic. So does that mean not microwave streilising bottles.

Sarah Mum to,

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 10:42am
If you are really concerned you can either switch to glass bottles or to plastic no 5, its the no 7 bottles (which avent etc are) that they are concerned about. Not just bottles anything with a 7 when heated can leach the chemical out. Spencer had been on the bottle for ages when it all came out so we haven't worried too much about it as it seemed a bit late to start. When I was expressing he was having 11 bottles a day and now he only has two so the worst of his exposure had already happened.
There are a few "safe" no 5 bottles on the market, medela are one, not sure what the others are. Glass is ok but not really practical for taking out, well not if you are like me and chuck your nappy bag around everywhere.

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 10:50am

Thanks for starting this thread Jess - I think most of you know (i have posted in other areas) that I had a really hard time with our decision to f/f. In fact I now understand that it was the main thing that caused my PND.

I had a very long labour, and when he finally arrived was a lazy pants and wouldnt suck well, combined with the fact that my milk didnt come in for 4 days and that I couldnt get colostrum out easily....it was all a bit of a disaster. The paediatrician said we needed to give him formula as he was dehydrated, but we were still made to feel like "criminals" by the m/w's and had to sign a form etc...which is so incredibly stressful when you are sleep deprived, worried about your baby and on the biggest emotional rollercoaster ever. When we got home, my m/w was a bit blaze about the whole thing, and suggested "persevering"....in the first weeks at home I was spending 45mins trying to b/f him, then topping him up with formula or EBM,  then expressing...then starting all over again....I was exhausted. When we were referred to the lactation consultant she made some statements that were insensitive, hurtful and didnt help 2 new struggling parents at all. We struggled with both b/f and f/f for about 10weeks before we decided that for everyones well being it would be better to go onto the bottle fulltime. When we did he was like a new baby - calm, content, slept well....fantastic!

I still struggle with the guilt....which was made worse early on by some comments made by complete strangers in parents rooms....(which basically caused me to be too scared to leave the house in case I had to feed him in public!!)...but I now know that my little boy is thriving and is so happy. My DH also loves the fact that he has been so actively involved in the feeding process, and feels like it has really helped him bond with Oli.

Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:59am
Hi everyone, thought id better join in here as both my boys are bottle babes. Brae was BF'ed for 4 days till i gave up & Kal was 8days old. Dont have any regrets about it, as FF was the best thing for us

Edited by Glow
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by SimSam SimSam wrote:

I still struggle with the guilt....which was made worse early on by some comments made by complete strangers in parents rooms....(which basically caused me to be too scared to leave the house in case I had to feed him in public!!)...but I now know that my little boy is thriving and is so happy. My DH also loves the fact that he has been so actively involved in the feeding process, and feels like it has really helped him bond with Oli.

That just makes my blood boil that you were made to feel that way How dare stangers make an assumption about your life and your choices. i wish people would take a moment to think before condemning someone whose situation they know nothing about

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>