FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBottle Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 8:13pm

Jimmy has been bottle fed since he was 5 days old. He had both EMB and formula between birth and 12 weeks, then weaned onto formula only.

The day we first gave him the bottle DH and I felt hugely relieved. We'd honestly thought Jimmy was going to choke to death when we tried to feed him via a cup, and were at the end of our wits after the unsuccessful battle to BF. This really lovely nurse came in to our room at midnight, took one look at us and said "You're not going to try and feed him all that via cup are you? I'll get you a bottle if you want". We haven't looked back since.

We were given a pamphlet on formula feeding by another nurse in hospital (when we asked for info) but no verbal instructions on how to bottle feed. The whole attitude towards bottle feeding is quite scary really - its really important to know how to sterilise correctly, not to reuse leftover formula, that you should throw out freshly made up formula if you can't remember how many scoops you've put in (which happens often with nappy brain  ) etc etc.

Here is my tip for preparing fresh formula as quickly and safely as possible (v important in those early weeks when bubs has no patience and wants the bottle NOW!):

** Sterilise all your bottles and teats etc at once (I found it helpful to have at least 4 bottles - we use the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature ones)

** Pour a set amount of boiled water from the jug into each sterilised bottle and leave to cool. You will top this up with freshly boiled water just before feeding bubs. The ratio that works for us at the moment is 130 mls cooled boiled water, topped up with 70 mls boiling water for a 200 ml feed. Experiment until you find out what mixture works for you.  

** Store the bottles in a cupboard or somewhere out of direct sunlight and use within 24 hours, otherwise tip out the cooled boiled water and start again.

** When bubs wants a feed, fetch a bottle containing cooled water, top up with boiling water, add req amount of formula, shake and you're good to go. 

** You can also speed up the process if you leave just enough water in the jug to make up the next feed (so it doesn't take too long to boil).

I wish I'd worked this out when we first came home from hospital, not weeks later.

Sponsored Links

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 8:41pm
we put the set amount of water into bottles and keep them in the fridge then microwave them to heat them before adding the formula as shaking disperses the hot spots that may occur. My midwife told me the cooled water should be refrigerated tho if not being used straight away so the water remains sterile/clean as bacterias grow at room temp.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:50pm
Catgirl, that isn't too good that they didn't test him, Spencer was having blood taken from his foot sometimes up to 3 times a day and I had to syringe expressed milk into him after each breastfeed to make sure he was getting enough, and he absolutely was not allowed to go more than three hours between feeds, as you know they tend to be more sleepy when jaundiced. The billibed was awesome though, he was in it for 24 hours and his levels came right down. I was stuck in hospital for 6 days which was a bum though, especially as I had already been stuck there for 3 weeks before he was born. I so wanted to go home.

Yeah I was also told the gold formulas can block them up.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:02pm
Maya should have gone under the lights but didn't, her jaundice took a long time to clear so when Chiara started looking yellow on day 2 I made them do her levels and the results were borderline so I insisted they put her under the lights. Just as well I did coz after 24 hours under lights her levels hadn't come down but they stayed static so if she hadn't gone under them the levels would certainly have gone up.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by lucky3rdtime lucky3rdtime wrote:

I have nothing against bfing, but it was never going to be for me. I have never wanted to bf and never did, my wee girl has been formula fed since she was born and she is a healthy happy little bubba, who has not been sick for one single day of her life.   

I get so sick of people judging me for it though, why should i feel guilty because I choose not to bf, she's my child and there is nothing wrong with formula feeding. I personally think there is too much emphasis on bfing, if its not for you why should you feel forced to do it.

We use nuk bottles and teats, but I also have some phil and teds latte bottles, which are great for travelling, and Gabs doesn't seem to care either way.

You have no idea how glad I was to read this. I don't want to bf. I know all the facts, how it's better for baby, free etc but I DO NOT want to do it.
People keep telling me 'you'll probably change your mind but I'm pretty sure I won't.
I have been worried about saying anything on here or starting a thread on it for fear of being judged. It seems to be 'the done thing' and every pregnancy book/leaflet/website I look at just assumes that every new mum will breastfeed.
I am worried about saying anything to my LMC/midwife/hospital because I get the impression my choice will not be respected and they will just try to talk me out of it.
I feel like I will need to make plans to leave hospital as soon as possible after the birth just so I can feed my baby the way I choose to and not face disdain from the medical staff.

Edited to say: I have got nothing against breastfeeding - and would never judge anybody for their choices, after all we're all different, and we should all have the right to make whatever choice is best for us and our families.

Edited by Spirals
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 12:02am
sarah was a feww weeks old when i put her onto formula, she was loosing heaps of weight and just wasnt getting anything at all pretty much! my nipples were red raw and soooo painfull, i was so relieved when i put her on formula but man did i get a huge slap on the hand from my mw she wasnt happy at all!! and made me feel like such a failure.

jett was heaps different tho, i decided id give it another go but despite doing everything right i ended up with bruised nipples, thrush and kept getting mastitis and infections so decided to put him onto formula at about 3mths.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 12:22am
Originally posted by neeandsam neeandsam wrote:

On a side note, I was watching TV this morning and there was something on the news about breastfeeding, and when asked what are the options for women who can't or won't breastfeed, the only option given was GET HELP to breastfeed.   Which isn't fair IMO, because for some of us, help to breastfeed isn't an option. It would be nice for women to be able to access resources about formula, bottles and even expressing.

Anyway! Rant over.

a mum in my antenatal group fully expressed for 5 months(her baby couldnt latch on) now that to be is legendary honestly I think I would have just switched to formula.
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:09am
Spirals - Good on your for having the balls to do what YOU want to do. I tell you what - dont let the hospital people make you feel stink for not wanting to BF, hell, i'd be telling them to kiss my arse tbh. I'm pretty much over all the hype around 'you have to breastfeed', i'm sorry, but if i'd continued to BF my son, he'd be dead. Cant feed a baby with milk that looks like that ultra super trim cows milk rubbish!

The best thing for me about bottle feeding is that Matt (my other half) gets to feed Thomas as well. I think it's a really important bonding time for them. That and I get to go to bed at a decent hour and he does the 2am feed for me :D Its really great - example - i went out on the turps last night and didnt have to worry about alcohol levels in my BM! hehe
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:16am
Thanks MissAngel

My husband is happy with my choice, and he's looking forward to doing some of the feeding too.

My siblings and I were all bottle-fed and it doesn't seem to have done us any harm - we were never sick as children.

I do aim to try and be strong with the hospital but I know it will be an emotional time and I'll probably be tired, so hubby knows he''ll have to fight my corner with me on this one.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:22am
I'm not trying to upset you as I respect your decision. My sister after her first b/f experience decided not to try with her second and I respected that. But I just wanted to suggest that you give baby the colostrum even if you don't feed, you don't have to latch them on you can just give it via a syringe, or if you have enough via a bottle. It lines their gut and helps prepare for the real milk (which in your case will be the formula) and gives them most of the great immunity boosting elements.

Feel free to completely ignore me though.

At CWH I was casually asked by the midwife if I intended to breastfeed and that was it. My lmc wasn't coming to the c/s so the hospital midwife did (a hospital one has to regardless of whether your own is going in or not) and needed to know what was happening afterwards. I honestly don't think she would have judged, but I suppose other midwifes might. It is your decision though and you have the right to be respected and supported with it.

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 10:59am
Yeah I shake them swirl the formula, might start shaking it less hard though. Caden hasnr had bad winf for a while now, so thats good, I make sure I burp him really well.
He does huge burps lol

My nipples are all healed up now, so Im going to try and relactate, I want to breastfeed him 3 times a day if I can, so Im going to see if I can get my milk coming back in, I still get the let down feeling so I hope I can do it. Cadne latched on really well this morning when I tried, he sucked for a few seconds then realised he wasnt getting anything and stopped, but I will keep trying.

He will still be mostly formula fed though as I dont think my milksupply will be any better if it comes back in.

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 12:04pm
Oh thats something i have decided next baby im going to feed them colostrum only via nipple shields if i can as i am traumatized by my experience if that goes well i might consider breastfeeding with the shields but the first feed that i start to feel like i did last time im going straight to formula because i cant get those first weeks back with my son and i dont want to dread him waking or feel like i hated him for being so hungry like i did first time around it was the worst feeling and i think my attempt at BF affected our bonding.
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 5:24pm

we gave ryan 100mls of formular last night at 5.30 then went out for dinner, he slept till 10.30 when i woke him to bf him cause i wanted to go to bed myself. he then woke every 2.5 hours after that. BF him each time. My milk is just not enough for him. I've just bort a couple of sachets for us to try but it looks as though it's heaps better  so maybe that's it for us.  Will save all the fuss with nipple shields too.

So how many bottles will we need. And what do you do when you go out shopping etc do you prepare the bottle before hand?? i don't want to ask my MW as she'll flip.

i think i still might like to BF during the day, as long as milk doesn't dry up. Though it's already looking and feeling funny. are your boobs meant to go squishy again instead of hardish?? and milk as someone said up there like trim cows milk.

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 6:27pm
Hi Sarah,

Bottles - depends on how often you want to wash. I recommend a day's worth (about 8ish bottles, maybed 10?)

When you go out - just put the water in the bottle and microwave when out, or take boiling hot so it will cool to the right temp by the time the feed is due. Buy a formula dispenser (tommee tippee or the like for $10) which holds 3 feeds.

It's also easier to get a FF baby into a routine which is good.

If fully FF, baby will need about 50ml of water a day. Just give this after the first bottle before the 2nd. If baby won't take water you *can* water bottles down but its not recommended (although I did that for the first few weeks).

I used to just take the made up formula bottles, but it's not that hygenice (supposed to be refrigerated). I know better now though.
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 6:37pm
When i go out i take bottles with the set amount of cooled boiled water in them and a thermas of boiled water that way ill either ask where i am if they have a microwave to heat it or tip out some of the water and add the boiling water so its the right temp.

Make sure you make up the formula with the correct amount of formula to water or if you start having constipation problems add a little more water than its says but never unless directed by a professional put more powder than it says. Thats the only thing my midwife kept telling me.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 6:52pm
At one stage the gremlins were having 18 bottles a day between them

I used to take water in bottles and use a Tommee Tippee formula dispenser like someone else suggested and either heat it up in a parents room or use a Heat Me pack.

I didn't know the water thing Emz said, I only gave them water when we were in Sydney for the summer and it was like 40 degrees.

Definitely don't agree that it's easier to get a formula fed baby into a routine, my two breastfed babies have settled into routine far more easily than my two bottle babies but the advantage with bottle feeding is that you know they've had enough so if they won't settle you can look at other reasons for it like a windy tummy etc. It's harder to tell with breastfeeding.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 6:54pm
Oh and squishy boobs are fine, I have gallons of milk but by evening they feel squishy, they're only really hard in the morning when she hasn't fed for ages, so if you want to keep up day feeding you should be able to. Also, breastmilk always looks like trim cows milk, esp the foremilk which is really thin and watery, the hind milk is thicker and creamier. (I became an expert of the consistency of breastmilk after weeks of expressing for the gremlins 24 hours a day lol!)
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 6:55pm
Me again - the microwave steriliser was the best thing I ever bought when I was bottle feeding, when we were away at my aunty's bach with no microwave it was a giant PITA having to use Miltons.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:24pm
Maya - weren't your bottle babies twins though?
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:26pm
Good tips for making formula - thanks guys!

I have a question. My sister's boy will only drink from one type of bottle and refuses any other kind. Is this common or is he just a fussypants? If it's common then is it best to try them on a type of bottle to make sure they like it before buying a whole lot of them? Thanks :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>