FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula Mums...Help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula Mums...Help!!!!
    Posted: 05 June 2007 at 12:45pm
I have made the decision to bottle feed and its been suggested that I start stocking up on some formula now. I am wanting to know what brands etc you lovely mums recommend?

Also bottles and sterilisers, if you have a free minute!

Sponsored Links

jamesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 12:53pm
I bottle feed from 5 weeks and used Karicare Gold. I had a couple of different brands of bottles but found Avent ones good and also ones that were green (sorry cant remember brand) that were REALLY easy to sterilise, they came with everything to microwave sterilise. For my other bottles I got a microwave steriliser.

Hope this is of some help
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:00pm
I probably wouldn't stock up too much on formula. Check use by dates too.
Coz your not to sure what type would suit your babe. I suggest getting a few samples of a few different types. I used Karicare starter to start with- as that's what my DS had in hosp BUT he didnt do to well on it & ended up constipated etc so i changed a few times & found he suited Hienz Nuture, so we stuck with that.

Definitely microwave sterilizers- tabs & boiling are just a hassle.

As for bottles & teats. You could spend a small fortune. Replacing the teats every couple of months & bottles when lost etc. I ended up just using cheap tommee tippee ones.

Oh and formula travel dispenser thingies are handy

Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:01pm
i've been using just the cheap bottles from the warehouse, 6 in a pack for $10 (i think) and they have been fine.
microwave sterilisers are a must! i got mine off trademe but don't need it anymore if your interested...
as far as formula goes, we use the karicare ones (reg not gold) without any problems. i've had to get the heinz nurture a couple of times when karicare was out of stock and i hate it. when charli spills it's like cottage cheese

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:01pm
I use Hienz nurture (blue tin) for both my children from birth. for bottles I use the pur self sterilising bottles this time cos its great if you are out and about and get stuck with no clean bottles you just need a microwave to sterilise them.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:37pm
I agree with Glow, I wouldn't stock up on formula itself too much in case bubs doesn't like the one you choose or ends up being allergic, refluxy etc. and needs a special formula.
Bottle wise I think if you're never going to breastfeed then the El Cheapo narrow neck ones are fine, I used Avent ones with Maya as being breastfed they were the only ones I oculd get her to take and they are supposed to make switching between bottle/breast easier, and am using them again with the gremlins purely out of habit.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 1:38pm
We used Heinz Nuture for all three of our kids and didn't have any problems with it.

As far as bottles go I used Avent for Abby and the cheap warehouse ones for the first two and can't say I have a favourite. For my first I boiled and used tablets, and what a pain in the butt. I strongly recommend a microwave steriliser, soooo much easier. Both times we just picked up a cheapy from the warehouse.

Never heard of self sterilizing bottles but am guessing they do make life a little easier.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 2:14pm
i used karicare with tash. just the normal one, and i used cheapy warehouse bottles and she took to them fine after being breast fed for 6-7 months. i was given some avent bottles too which i used. i used to put the bottles thru the dishwasher by them selves with no powder to sterilise as our plunket nurse said that was ok to do as long as the dishwasher was clean
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 2:37pm
If you ph karicare they will send you info and samples!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 4:47pm
You can also buy sample sized sachets from the supermarkets of most of the main brands, if you have any trouble getting your hands on samples.

We formula fed from 4 weeks on, and have always used S26 Gold, starter and then follow-on. I agree about not stocking up too much straight away.

As for bottles we started out with cheapie ones, then went to Avent (but had leak issues) and finally settled on the new-ish Tommee Tippee "Closer to Nature" range - they really do look a little bit like a breast LOL The bottles are quite differently shaped to the standard ones, and have nice soft / flexible teats. A bit more on the $$ side though (but worth it for us).
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 4:49pm
Whoops, forgot about sterilisers ! When we got the TT Closer to Nature bottles, we just got the TT steriliser that went with it as well, which could fit four bottles and all the other bits and pieces (caps, teats etc). It could be used either in the microwave, anywhere from 6-8 mins depending on the wattage, or as a cold water steriliser with sterilising tablets.
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 6:05pm
I've got an Avent microwave steriliser and the closer to nature Tommee Tippee bottles as well as the Avent ones that came with the steriliser. It works great and is just four minutes in the microwave.

As far as formula goes, I am half expressing, half formula feeding and we have started with the Karicare one, it's not the gold one, but the normal one. I sent DP out to get it and while I probably would have chosen a different one, that's the one he got, so we're using it. Sam likes it. Infact he coughs and splutters and goes all red when he drinks breastmilk, whereas on formula he seems great!

Anyway. I'm new at it too, so this thread is very helpful!
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 8:10pm
We are using the closer to nature Tommee Tippee bottles too and the Tommee Tippee steam sterliser - they are both great. I express most of Gina's feeds but we've bought the Kericare gold + and she drinks it OK. We did buy one more expensive formula from the pharmacy and she hates it so you never know. Like everyone else, I'd suggest you wait and not stock up - maybe put the money aside every week so you have it handy when you need it.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 8:17pm
I also agree about not stocking up...you might run into issues with certain formulas and then you're stuck with a whole lot you can't use. (not to mention you might change your mind once bubs is here, you never know.)

Formula wise we use S26 Gold.

For bottles and steralisers we're using Tommee Tippee Closer to nature.

Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 8:22am
We use the S26 Gold - started on the normal one then were given a tin and didn't think we should go backwards (but who knows?)
We use Avent bottles and the microwave steriliser (only 2 mins in our microwave) but I also have a couple of the PUR self sterilising bottles (though I use Avent teats to avoid any confusion)
Highly recommend you get a formula dispenser for when you're out and about as will be cheaper than individual sachets.
Re buying formula now - you could always buy gift vouchers from your supermarket now so that when bubs arrives you'll have "money" to go and buy it (If I keep cash aside I always seem to spend it!)
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 10:31am
My plan is to buy a couple of tins of formula so that I don't have to rush out and buy straight away and then vouchers as they will be handy for nappies also.

Thanks for all the info! I think I will run with Avent bottles with a couple of PUR self sterilisers and a Avent micro steriliser and def invest in the travel thingy.

Thanks so much !!!!

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 12:33pm
i used karicare from when haeligh was about 6wks old, and used the avent bottles that came with my isis breast pump (can get them seperatly).
then we moved on to tommee tippee jsut normal 250ml bottles with purr teats as haleigh wanted the milk much faster by 3months.
i just scrubbed and boiled to steralise (used milton tablets for feirst few months)
 Post Reply Post Reply