FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan I.....??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I.....??
    Posted: 01 February 2007 at 4:37pm
I'm finally getting my very belated Christmas holiday this weekend, we are going to Kawau Island for 5 days (bliss!!)

What I want to know is; is it ok to have a glass of wine diluted with lime soda water? Just one glass??

I know you aren't supposed to drink during pregnancy etc, and I didn't touch a drop with my other two and didn't plan on it with this one, but I would just love to be able to have a wee glass in the evening after dinner???

Your thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers
Mel
Sponsored Links

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 4:54pm

Wine mixed with lime soda water sounds like a really interesting mix!!  The only thing I mix wine with is a prenzel thing "with champers" (been in my fridge so long I dunno if they still sell it even) and that just ADDS to the alcohol content... yippiee!

It's something that you've got to make your own mind up on.  How far along is your pregnancy?  Because the earlier on, the more potential there is for damage.  It's not only about the amount that you drink, but also the time that you drink it - some research says there are windows of opportunity during the 1st trimester for a lot of damage to be done with only small amounts of alcohol and we have no ways of knowing exactly when those times are.  I had one glass of wine when I was preggers with Ella... but it was when I was overdue and I justified it by saying it might scare her out (it didn't).  I had half a bottle before I discovered I was pregnant (got a negative preg test result... don't trust them!!) and that had me worried later on.  I wouldn't point the finger at someone having one glass when they're pregnant, but that said, it's not something I'd knowingly do (unless I'm overdue again and that'd be just the one small glass)!

Andie
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 4:59pm
Interesting mix. If you are still in your 1st trimester I would avoid it thou.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 5:04pm
i had a couple of wines when preggy with charli and she turned out fine

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 5:20pm
I had a few drinks at a wedding when i was pregnant (unaware i was pregnant, test was neg) and Addison was fine. Not that i promote drinking while pregnant but I think you really need to drink in excess that can cause major problems
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 5:21pm
Why don't you get your hubby to have a glass of it and you can sneak sips? That's what I did, I felt too guilty to have a whole glass..

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 5:25pm
you can also get non alcoholic wine now too at supermarkets...or get sparkling grape or appletiser - in this weather it might be more refreshing....

BTW 5 days on kawau - NICE!!!! enjoy...I love that area and the swimming is lovely and calm there too...bet there is no sea lice there...
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 6:56pm
I agree that it is a personal decision. If you look overseas at their reccomendations though, many countries say that a glass a week is ok - some even say more! You are talking about half a glass or even less, so it is up to you really. Personally, I probably wouldn't, but I have had tiny (I mean not enough for a swallow tiny) sips of DH's bubbles at a couple of things round Christmas.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 7:59pm
I got a very late BFP with this pg so I had already had the occasional glass of wine up to 7 weeks pg and then a couple of weeks after that because I kept forgetting I was pg! We've had no problems here and Krysti is a very settled baby.

It's definitely a personal decision but I'd say that the odd single glass of wine won't hurt... but there's no research to back that up so they just advise absolutely no alcohol to be safe.
LockieandLiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 8:38pm
Definately a personal decision. When I was pregnant I didn't touch a drop oops I tell a lie, I had a sip of a cocktail. I did however drink quite a bit the month that I conceived and my wee man has turned out just fine. I had a lot of people say to me one glass wouldn't hurt. I think my problem would have been just stopping at that one glass so figured best go without.

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 6:50pm
Well I thought I'd report back to say that I didn't touch a drop of alcohol while we were away, it was too damn hot so I walked around with a water bottle..and I'm glad I did so thanks heaps for your advice...it was just wishful thinking....

PS: Sauv Blanc with Lime soda water is very refreshing...would recommend on a hot day
 Post Reply Post Reply