FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour choice of brands!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 2:22pm
Countdown and New World in Porirua stock Robinson's sugar free squash. New World have just announced they are going to increase their British section again (hooray!).

You can get front loaders quite easily now. The powder is harder to find, but i buy the big sacks of persil from Moore Wilsons (one in Porirua and one in town. Anout $25 for 6 kilos so lasts ages. You only need to use half of what they say to use as well.

A lot of supermarkets stock some british stuff - you just need to look closeley (e.g. you can find chocolate hobnobs in the biscuit aisle). The shop, UK Goodies in Petone is great but pricey.

Sponsored Links

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 2:24pm
Ignore the terrible punctuation and spelling above. 11 months off work and I turn into an imbecile. Can't even face editing it.

NZIRLMUM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZIRLMUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 10:38am
Coming to NZ from Ireland to visit the folks with my new baby in March, and have started thinking about my packing list. This thread has been helpful in knowing what I need to bring with me! I was about to leave without the Dentinox shampoo - but now will bring a bottle with me. I hadn't really thought about which nappies to buy - we find Pampers are the best fit here so good to know they aren't so easily available or well priced in NZ. I am shocked at the price of some things in NZ though from checking the web. Looks like my luggage will be at capacity now!
kernowexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernowexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 11:47am
NZIRLMUM bring everything and anything you can. If you are flying AirNZ, an extra bag is only £35 from Heathrow through to NZ wherever you end up in NZ.
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 1:58pm
Randomly, you cannot get lamb, fish or pork stock cubes here. I cleared the shelves of Asda on my way back here from my last trip back to the UK. The check out lady was most perplexed by what i was up to with 50 boxes of stock cubes.

Tissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 2:06pm
you can buy pampers nappies online in NZ from here click me

they may not be the cheapest but if it comes to pampers being the only nappies your baby can wear they are available in NZ
sbeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by catisla catisla wrote:

Randomly, you cannot get lamb, fish or pork stock cubes here. I cleared the shelves of Asda on my way back here from my last trip back to the UK. The check out lady was most perplexed by what i was up to with 50 boxes of stock cubes.

I wondered about this. I work at the airport and just about every person coming fro the UK to visit relative declares they have stock cubes!!!

PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by NZIRLMUM NZIRLMUM wrote:

Coming to NZ from Ireland to visit the folks with my new baby in March, and have started thinking about my packing list. This thread has been helpful in knowing what I need to bring with me! I was about to leave without the Dentinox shampoo - but now will bring a bottle with me. I hadn't really thought about which nappies to buy - we find Pampers are the best fit here so good to know they aren't so easily available or well priced in NZ. I am shocked at the price of some things in NZ though from checking the web. Looks like my luggage will be at capacity now!

It sounds like there are a few people (including me!) that miss Dentinox - perhaps bring a few bottles...you might be able to make a profit!!! We found Pampers to be the best fit in the UK too but have moved to Huggies here and my daughter doesn't seem to have objected too much. Saying that, if I saw some Pampers at a reasonable price I'd still buy them. I have considered spending the extra from the online shop but bearing in mind what they're used for I decided against it! A friend in the UK comes here regularly to see family and she uses Treasures for the sake of a few weeks holiday. How long are you visiting for?

The biggest thing that I would recommend bringing is your wetwipes! I've now worked my way through most of them and have decided to ask someone to send me some in the post! I don't know what it is but I'm just not agreeing with them. They're either ripping or smell like CIF toilet wipes! I'd agree with previous posts though by saying BRING EVERYTHING YOU CAN FIT! If you are bf'ing it won't be an issue but if you are ff'ing then bring some of that too! Aptamil is called Karicare here and they don't have the cartons of ready made milk - they have powder in individual sachets to put in to bottles of water. We used pre-sterilised bottles on our flight in January. I would highly recommend them as they hardly take up any space and don't weigh anything!

Ooooooh, another suggestion would be to ask your folks to rent a carseat from Plunkett (if you need one). They also hire out travel cots (portacots) - I don't know how good they are though. Someone else may be able to let you know. It would save you lugging it round and checking it in at the airport.

Have a good journey!
pumpkino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by UK2NZMummy UK2NZMummy wrote:

If you are bf'ing it won't be an issue but if you are ff'ing then bring some of that too! Aptamil is called Karicare here and they don't have the cartons of ready made milk - they have powder in individual sachets to put in to bottles of water.

Just thought I would add that although Karicare doesn't do the ready made cartons of formula milk, S-26 Gold does (which I think is probably linked with SMA). Only 250ml cartons though so if you're having a long visit it may not be a cost effective option. We've used them on short holidays a few times and DS hasn't exhibited any signs of knowing the difference between the two brands - although maybe he's just greedy!

ETA - Also be very careful about bringing liquid formula in your carry on. Formula is exempt from the 100ml limit BUT the rule is that you have to taste half of what you are carrying in front of security staff to prove that it isn't something else. ie if you are bringing a dozen cartons/bottles, you would have to open 6 of them and taste the contents - which of course then makes them totally useless to you. Different security guards take different approaches with this and you would hopefully have no trouble but I remember reading about a woman who was sobbing at security because they were making her open half the bottles she had brought with her and she wasn't going to have enough to feed her baby on the long haul flight.

The safest option is to buy the liquid formula airside at the airport, ie after you have gone through security - then you definitely won't have to open/taste anything. I know Boots airside at Heathrow will take advance orders and put stuff aside for you so that you know they will have what you want when you're there and I'm sure other retailers/airports do the same.   

Edited by pumpkino
NZIRLMUM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZIRLMUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 5:12am
Originally posted by kernowexile kernowexile wrote:

If you are flying AirNZ, an extra bag is only £35 from Heathrow through to NZ wherever you end up in NZ.

Thanks for that piece of advice! We are flying home with Air NZ and was thinking i might have more luggage to bring back after gifts in nz and some shopping in LA!
NZIRLMUM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZIRLMUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 5:15am
Originally posted by catisla catisla wrote:

Funny you mention those, cause I just bought them for the first time in Ireland. We lag behind UK stores with range of products normally. On one of the TV morning shows the cooking guy mentioned pork stock and I hadn't ever seen it before - then low and behold there they were on the shelves in our local Tesco supermarket. They had fish, ham, pork and lamb stock. Maybe I will have to bring some over too - just to be able to declare it coming in. LOL!
NZIRLMUM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZIRLMUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 5:37am
just wrote message and it didn't post.. will write again if i can remember what i wrote!

Thanks UK2NZMummy and pumpkino for your advice.
I think i will try the Karicare formula in NZ, but will bring over a tub of his own from here just in case. DH is coming 2 weeks after us (in nz for 5weeks total) so he can bring more if the little one doesn't like Karicare - although he aint fussy so don't think will be an issue.
Good to know the disposable bottles work ok on flight. I had seen these here in boots and was going to try them out - anything for an easy flight since I am on my own on the outward journey. I might get some pre-mixed formula airside before we leave too - thanks for advice pumpkino about Boots in airport, we have one in Dublin too.

Anyone would wonder how NZ babies managed to cope without all these products we have mentioned - he he
Jax-Yogini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jax-Yogini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 8:50pm
Thank you ladies for posting about the NEXT UK website. I LOVE the kids clothing and what great prices compared to what you'd pay at some of the kids clothing stores here! And free delivery to NZ. Wish I hadn't just bought clothes for baby, I want to go shopping at NEXT!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12