FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFruit Wrapped in Muslin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fruit Wrapped in Muslin
    Posted: 01 January 2012 at 9:54pm
Oh man there are so many things to think about when starting bubs on solids! Saw plunket the other day and they suggested I give DD (5 months) some fruit wrapped in muslin, a big chunk of apple or pear so she can have a munch without actually eating it ... this leads to MORE questions ...

1. Can I use any apple or pear or are there certain types (braeburn, nz rose etc, nashi etc) that you should start with?
2. To wrap them in muslin should they be really ripe like they would be if you were to feed them mushed up?
3. How do you wash the muslin!? Surely if you just put it through with the rest of the washing there will be residue left from the washing detergent but surely I also have to wash them before she uses them so there is no residue from the factory!?

Honestly I have no idea ... my poor child
Sponsored Links

SethsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SethsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 10:13pm
I would think pear and nashi would be fine, but maybe par-boil the apple.
it doesn't need to be mushy, just soft enough she can gum out the good juice!
I'm not sure how well they go through muslin but I would think banana and avo would be ideal. (I BLW and my DS was fine with them when he started at around 5 1/2 months)
Hope that helps!

ooo and canned peaches etc in natural juice...no boiling needed then!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 8:08am
I grated the apple up first so its really juicy, yum! I used one of those mesh feeders u can get from the supermarket for about $10 I think- the have a little mesh bag and a handle.
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 11:38am
I personally wouldn't bother with the muslin at all...just give large chunks of soft fruit that she can hold and suck on. We went down the BLW route so had normal food from day 1 - no puree, mesh feeders etc...just chunks of real food.

Post Reply Post Reply