FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen did you ’give up’?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did you ’give up’?
    Posted: 07 June 2011 at 4:21pm
If you struggled to BF, at what point did you finally throw in the towel and admit defeat??

With Jae it was her refusing to latch at 12 weeks that did it...Managed to give her some EBM (not all as my supply was terrible from her never feeding properly) for the next 4 weeks, but by 4 months i was dry...

This time around I have been struggling since he was a few days old. I've tried various lactogogues (blessed thistle, fenugreek, brewers yeats, domperidone, lactation cookiesand currently trying a natural herbal mix with all sorts of stuff thats supposed to help) and expressed between feeds, after feeds, topped up with a suplementary nursing sytem, basically just kept trying, and trying, and trying...

Its now getting to the point he fights the latch, and screams at me when I even try and latch him on, wether I'm using a shield or not, even while using the SNS, so milk availability cant be the reason... this morning it took him 2 hours to feed from me enough to get 100ml via the SNS (from a bottle he would normally take 150ml in 15 mins) because he would either scream at me, or he'd be too exhausted from said screaming to suck properly. I dont want to give up while I still have milk (Have been expressing as much as I can and usually get 300-400ml per day on top of the 2 SNS feeds) but I dont know how long I can keep forcing him to feed when he just wont do it... the only reason I'm still digging my heels in is because I will never get the chance to try again he is my last baby and I really wanted to be able to BF at least one of my kids without it being a constant battle
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Sponsored Links

blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 4:35pm
I dont know what to say .. personally i set myself 'goals' tho I never had a problem feeding as such more that my girl was waking way to much overnight for the boobie   .. by the sounds of you have tried so hardWould you be able to formula feed and then express until your milk runs out?
Remember happy mum = happy baby!
You have given him the best start you could and thats what matters!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 4:58pm
Have you been to see a LC? I would get into see one pronto, even if you have already, get back in there and have a good chat with them about things. This is a good read, if you also go through her blog this link comes up too, read them both and you might get some help. I wish good luck and I hope you can get something sorted soon. If not then express express express, long term it can be done, as the lady in the blog has done up to 19months! Good luck

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 5:17pm
Yes, saw the LC who initially told us he had tongue tie (surgeon has ruled that out as of last week) but she wont help me as she has the idea that after 12 weeks, babies arent 'hard wired' to latch on and feed... and the last time I went she basically told me there was nothing more she/I could do to continue BFing (Her words were you cant force a baby to feed). Another LC service I am reigstered with is coming tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'll get told the same thing, and we'll just get put in the 'too hard' basket...

I had been expressing and bottle feeding to give us a break while waiting for the appt with the surgeon, but my supply is starting to drop (I was getting 400-500ml in a 24 hour period) just as it did when I was doing the same with Jae. I have 2 other kids, the house is on the market, I just dont have the time to express AND bottlefeed anymore, along with all the cleaning and prep that comes with it
Brandon - 05/12/2003

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 6:41pm
I set myself goals too... 6 weeks, 12 weeks/3 months, 6 months, 1 year... etc.

Are you stressed or stressing out when you go to latch? I found DD can pick up on my moods and if I am stressed she won't feed from me and gets quite stroppy about it so I often have to calm down and then try again...
karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 7:28pm
Hey BK - in hospital I had cracked and bleeding nipples. This lead to a thrush infection, so I told myself, I'd get to 4 weeks, and when that was improving, then 6 weeks was the goal. Once the thrush infection cleared, an LC identified vasospasm, but I found breast warmers and that helped, so I thought 'yay, I've got to 2 months, and it's finally going well'. Then I got blocked ducts which became breast abscesses, and 3 days in hospital on IV antibiotics, 2+ weeks so far on max dose of fluclox and a doctor opening and draining another abscess has been the final straw.

I'm still bfing cos I can't let milk build up in the boob in case the infection gets worse, but I hate having to feed her and make sure pus doesn't drip into her mouth (sorry if TMI), but I'm slowly trying to wean her onto formula. I found that bfing was actually interfering with my enjoyment of my bub, and once I made the decision to go to formula, I felt so relieved and much more positive. (In case anyone is wondering, I can't express at the moment, cos the dressing stops a good seal with the pump.)
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 8:21pm
Have you talked to LLL? My group has several women who have been through hell to BF their babies (including those who've not made it) - much like it sounds your journey has been, and for other reasons too. But there are women there who will understand your desire to BF against the odds, and no-one will suggest you give up. They may not be professional LC but they have plenty of ideas and will give you as much support as you need.

As for the original question, I think you give up when you've tried everything you are willing/able to try and can look back with no regrets. You've made a fantastic effort for your little boy.

karenB you poor thing! I hope they heal for you soon
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 7:49pm
Oh BK sounds like you have it so tough!

With DS he wouldn't latch as he was a premmie, BF him with shields, got thrush, had no idea what it was but feeding was hellishly painful, got to 7 weeks and went to the plunket family centre who sorted us out. By that stage my supply was quite low though so I was on domperidone. At 6 months I started weaning myself off it and then as I weaned off it so he gradually stopped feeding off me and by 7 months he was exclusively FF.

DD latched on straight away, had a ferocious suck but something happened by week 2 and her latch became incredibly painful. I had bleeding nipples the whole time and her poos were all black because of all the blood she was ingesting. I had good supply this time though so was determined to keep going... my post natal midwife was also a LC and she was horrid, could not help me at all except to tell me to express and bottle feed for 24 hours then put her back on the boob. So we are back at the family centre, again they sort us out, but again supply is low, and DD is now starting to arch and refuse to lacth, cry and fuss. I kept going to 5 months but I honestly was not enjoying her before then. I wish I trusted myself to go to the family centre earlier and not listened to the LC.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 10:09pm
BK I'm sorry to read you're still struggling with BF. It's so frustrating when you want to but it's SO hard.

With DS1 he was prem and I think I started supplementing with formula at around 3 months? Up till then we had been using nipple shields, pumping and bottle feeding, taking everything natural I could think of (as I was never offered domperidone by ANY health professional here .. with DS2 I knew to ask but it turned out I had an oversupply with him!)... in the end, it was just too hard - hot weather, tiny baby, huge boobs and first lots of milk and then not enough. Like others have said, I just wasn't enjoying BF at all and even though I struggled to give it up, once he was on the bottle all the time life became SO MUCH easier and I really started to enjoy him.

I am almost at that point now with DS2. Not because of any supply issues or anything, although I found the first 8-10 weeks really hellish as I had too much milk and the same small baby, big boob problem I had help from a breast feeding counsellor this time (NOT a lactation consultant as the one I saw last time was a biarch). I set myself goals - 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 4 months, 6 months .. now I am considering giving up at 8 months but ideally I'd like to BF till we introduce dairy as DS has reflux which is made worse by dairy .. The main reason I want to pack it in is that he's sprouted 8 teeth in as many weeks and he BITES when he doesn't want milk so I'm being driven crazy!

Sorry, enough of a novel about me I really hope the next LC you see can be a bit more helpful and I second the suggestion to contact LLL. I have a friend here who is really involved with LLL and this time round it was SO helpful having her support me!

Good luck
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:03am
When you and DS are ready to and what is working for the both of you and the rest of your family.

I'm still going mostly cause we both still enjoy it and want to continue for as long as its working for both of us. No teeth yet and the acrobatics are starting.

Is he not feeding at all or preferring the bottle?
One thing I did do with DD was offer her a smaller bottle and then top her up from the breast. It meant she got her initial thirst satisfied and was then more patient / relaxed about taking the boob.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:40am
With Daniel I gave up when he bit me at every feed. That was at 3 months. Nothing I did seemed to make a difference in stopping him so I thought it wasn't worth it cause it was only going to make me bleed and angry.

With Alex he started doing the same at 7-8weeks and my back was giving out from having such massive boobs (H/I cup and my back was already weak from an old injury) so when he bit me at every latch I just stopped.

I'm someone who strongly believes happy mum means happy baby. I don't see the point in hating feeding, dreading it and getting angry and frustrated when there is an alternative that means that I don't have those feelings.
karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

I'm someone who strongly believes happy mum means happy baby. I don't see the point in hating feeding, dreading it and getting angry and frustrated when there is an alternative that means that I don't have those feelings.

This! I couldn't have said it better. Thanks!
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 10:01pm
You have done amazingly well to get so far. I only got to 7 weeks breastfeeding, and 10 weeks full time expressing after that. I wanted to breastfeed so badly, but DS had very bad reflux and it has later eventuated that he has dairy intolerance. Breastfeeding was a struggle from day 1. He was born with forceps and battered and bruised so refused to feed for 2 days so he was syringed colostrum, got him to latch on day 3 but could never consistently get him to do it as he had a tiny mouth and I have small nipples, a midwife gave me nipple shields to try and after that he wouldn't feed without them. We got about a week of good breastfeeding but then pretty much from the second week he would arch, scream, fight, scratch etc etc and spill it all back up, and each feeding it got to the point where he was hungry and screaming, I was in tears, it was terrible some of the worst times of my life spent crying on the floor while the hungry baby screamed all night. I tried and tried as long as I could, got advice from midwife, tried to up my supply as it started dropping, but in the end I developed post natal depression and anxiety and was such an unhappy mess, that I gradually weaned him on to a bottle first of EBM then formula when supply dropped off. I struggled heaps with it, I had to grieve the breastfeeding being over, I felt so terrible. However looking back on it now I can see that it was the best decision for us because I think I would have gone off the rails alltogether otherwise. Once I stopped the breastfeeding fight, I was able to start enjoying my baby and he was able to stop having a terrible time at feeds and that in its self was breaking my heart, that eating, one of lifes simple pleasures, was such a nightmare for us both. For quite a while I felt terribly guilty and didn't want to bottle feed in front of people in case they might judge me, but as time went on I have become ok with it, I really don't mind now, I feed my baby he is really healthy and advanced for his age, I don't feel I have done him wrong, I tried my best. He is on neocate and I think as a Mum I have done the absolute best I can by him. I tried to breastfeed, and I'll try again if I have any more babies. But we really had our work cut out for us and we did well to get as far as we did. It sounds like you have had the same deal- a hard time from day 1. I admire you sticking with it so long.

I know it means a lot to you, but maybe you could take it from a different perspective, you have managed to put in such a good effort to breastfeed your bubba and he has gotten so much goodness from you doing that. But you being happy, and him being happy, are even more important in my opinion. You have been fortunate enough to have the breastfeeding experience even though it has been really tough with all your bubs, you have done it, you have tried your best and tried so hard when some wouldn't even try, and that's something to be proud of. However your bub gets feed, you are a good mother because you want the best for him. I think it will feel like a huge weight off your shoulders when you give up the fight, whenever you're ready, I know it did for me. I think its important to grieve it when you do, then move on to being happy with your bub, especially as he is your last you don't wana look back on that first year as a really hard time...
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 10:59pm
Much like Kebakat I gave up when he started biting, which was at 7 months. He'd been nibbling before that which was bad enough, but a few good chomps a day after 7 months of hell was enough.

C was an assisted delivery, he was pulled out with a ventouse which left him with a MASSIVE bruise, meaning he spent the first 2 hours or so of his life (after he'd taken a few minutes of lying quietly on mummy to decide he wanted to go back inside where he was happy) SCREAMING. My mum was pacing the delivery room with him while I suddenly felt the after effects of having an epi, went dizzy and projectile vomited. That lasted a couple of hours.

It wasn't until he was 8 - 12 hours old (my memory is fuzzy) that I was conscious enough to hold him properly while he fed, so I doubt he was latching well before then.

Long story short; Jaundice as a newborn, too sleepy to feed, STUPID midwife suggested supplementing with formula at FOUR DAYS OLD because he wasn't back at his birth weight and from then on my supply was dangerously low. I was expressing 4 - 6 times a day for 7 months, never got more than 200ml a day. I took domperidone, tried various natural remedies, I even did the SNS thing. It was killing me. I felt like a complete failure. I still do, actually. It's getting better, but thinking about that whole time still upsets me.

One thing I am glad I did is to make sure that once I knew it was over, I sat down with him when he was in the right mood for a bf and burned the image of him feeding calmly into my mind. It's nice to have that memory to look back on and know that not EVERY feed was a battle.

Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing. When it goes right. But sometimes, for reasons outside our control, it doesn't. We need to stop beating ourselves up for that. I very much doubt in 5, 10, 30 years our children will care even slightly whether they were breastfed or not.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 8:30am
I did what High9 said, set goals. Its why i have the breastfeeding ticker because he is making it really bloody tricky. I am going to get to 6 months then re-evaluate. Though hopefully by then i will tell myself to get to 8 months and re-evaulate then. I second what everyone else has said about happy mom and happy baby. If the second LC you see trys to put you in the too hard basket i seriously recommend showing up to a LLL meeting. They seriously saved my bfeeding relationship with DS. You can take J with you too, ours is always a mess of toddlers and older kids, some woman even do PORSE and bring their extras along too. Or if that doesnt work what about a plunket family centre? Or breastfeeding works counsellours?

DS isnt as fiesty about it as your wee guy but last week he's gone on strike. I've been getting him in a nap and me topless and holding him the cradle position but not attempting to latch, he twists and turns and pulls his head as far away from the dreaded nipple as possible but most of the time, after 10 minutes or more sometimes, he plonks his head round and latches and sucks like a madthing. I know you've got a toddler too and busy busy so don't have the luxury of sitting around all day skin to skin. You wear him in a wrap sometimes though right? Maybe get nakey and him nakey and wrap you both up. You'll get coverage from the moby but you get to skin to skin at the same time. That sounds like such useless advice, but worth a try, right?
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 11:08am
The other LC I saw (part of a govt funded service for my area) said I was doing a great job and there wasnt anything they could suggest to change the status quo... not very helpful, but I guess thats better than being told its not going to work so I might as well just go straight to formula now!

After perservering a little longer we have managed to get him latching on easily IF I have both shield and SNS on, but I'll take that as a win lol. To make it easier on both of us we do those feeds during daylight hours (between 9am and 6pm) and outside those hours he has EBM from what I've expressed off the unused side at each feed, and again an hour later, or formula if I dont have enough EBM. Managing to get 300-400ml p/day expressed which is 2 full bottles, sao I'm starting to feel a little more relaxed now that we have a pattern going. Makes going out a tactical nightmare, but I just do EBM if we're out...

Will be going to the next LLL meeting once I find out when that is, good to know Jae can come with! My current goal is 4.5 months (2 weeks away!) as thats when I had dried up after Jae, then my next goal will be to make it to the big latch on gig!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 3:00pm
Ooooh big latch on is a good goal! I steal that now, thanks!

Yay for finding something that works - and that the LC was helpful even if she couldnt provide a magic fix. Man, i hope he gets bigger and goes OH BOOB and then in three years time you'll be posting like help, how do i wean him!?
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 1:17am
Ironically with all the lactagogues I was taking, I never managed to increase my supply, and now I'm taking none, it hasnt decreased at all. Guess part of my problem is i just dont respond to any of them? Pity cos I have NO idea how to boost supply a bit more if he wont feed from me fully

Haha, I'd love to be able to last that long. I have decided D is going to be my little baby forever and ever so that means cloth nappies and BF and cute little baby clothes for a very long time I'm in denial mode that my baby has just clocked 4 months and we're 1/3 of the way to our last 1st birthday
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 8:49am
Shhhhh don't say things like that, that means we're almost half way!
 Post Reply Post Reply