FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedconfused about dairy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: confused about dairy
    Posted: 04 May 2011 at 3:34pm
I know babies don't have cows milk till they are over 12 months, but what about cheese and yoghurt?

I've seen them in recipes I've got for 6 months plus what's the difference and is there anything I need to be aware of?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 4:27pm
Plunket now says that you can give cheese and yoghurt from 6 months. During the making of the products the structure has changed so they are easier to absorb. I personally waited till about 10 months as I havn't been able to eat dairy cause of DD, but I still cant give it to her now as she gets wicked wind and excema.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:47pm
You can give a baby milk before 12 months, just not as a substitute for BM or formula. They can have some, but it's not a complete diet, IYGWIM? Last I heard it was dairy was ok from around 8 months, but seeing as I did BLW, I just introduced it slowly once I knew DD could tolerate it (she couldn't initially) and left it up to her to decide how much and what.

I was BF on demand, so it wasn't going to replace that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 8:12pm
So its ok to use as an ingredient ie: cheese, butter and yoghurt in her food? I might wait till she's a little older I made a recipe that includes cheese and not sure if that's what's made her upset or not.

I use EBM for her porridge and she's bf for everything else.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:36pm
My kids had cheese and yoghurt from roughly 7 or 8 months I think, and then milk in their cereal from about 11 months and then at 12 months they went from formula to milk(I BF DD till 7 months though).

But yep its fine to use those things in her food
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:49pm
Dont they refer to cheese, yoghurt etc as soft dairy, which is ok from 6-7 months? Jackson started getting yoghurt and cheese from 7 months and cows milk at 12 months.   
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 1:01pm
Yip DS1 had dairy cooked in food from 7mo (so once he was eating more than "single food" purees and stuff) and that's when he first had cheese and yoghurt as well.

DS2 hasn't had any dairy yet but he has reflux which has always been exacerbated by me eating ANY form of dairy, particularly cheese, so we won't be giving him any cows milk until around 9 months when we've been advised to try him on plain yoghurt first.

The main thing is not to substitute cows milk for their main source of nutrition before 1yo. On cereal/porridge or in cooking or as cheese or yoghurt is fine unless you're worried about introducing dairy for some other reason (like allergies).
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 7:15pm
Nope no concern regarding allergies. Yoghurt is a firm favourite as is baby custards. Haven't really done cheese as a single ingredient more in stuff.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply