FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBF and then what??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BF and then what??
    Posted: 14 October 2009 at 11:58am
B is exclusivly breastfed, and im just thinking about what sort of happens next.

I presume he goes on to cows milk? around a year? or when? He has a sippy cup which he sort of uses takes maybe 10mls or so out of and bottles are a no go. Im happy breastfeeding at the moment and will be for a bit longer but just wondering what the next step is for non bottle babies.
Sponsored Links

Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 12:19pm
Oooh- I will be watching this with interest - have been wondering the same thing...
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 12:27pm
I've tried offering toddler milk (she gags) and cow's milk (she throws at me). E drinks lots of water from her straw cup (never drank more than 20ml from a sippy cup) and eats 2-3 serves of dairy products a day (cheese, yoghurt etc), so she doesn't need any milk.

But she's still BF at this stage because even though I was going to put her on the bottle at 6 months, and then wean her at one year, I enjoy it, she loves mummymoo, and it works for us. I never planned on BF this long, but it just sort of happened.
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 12:30pm
Well with us - henry self weaned at just over 1year. I would have kept feeding him (just morning and night) but he had other plans. At that point he was already having water at lunch and during the day so i just had to make sure i increased how often i offered the water. He occasionally has milk - im actually looking into this atm because it seems to make him a bit sick when i give it to him and since i have an intolerance to it im wondering if he does too.
He eats 3 solid meals a day plus snacks so i didnt feel that he needed toddler formula as he gets all his vitamins from his food.

Hope that helps
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 4:12pm
I BF'd Megan till she was 19.5 months although she did start having dark blue milk on her weetbix just aftera year (I think)

I have just started (at 22.5 months) giving her light blue milke I know they say 2 year but I figure she is almost 2 and dont think a few weeks will make that much difference.

and now the only drinks I offer her are water and milk....she prefers water to milk but will at times ask for milk

noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 6:45pm
I thought i would wean R onto cows milk sometime after he is 1 (unless he selfweans before hand)
and sorry I'm gona thread jack but do they drop to 2 feeds on their own and what age (about) do they do that?
oh and flutterby I had to LOL at mummymoo! haha thats so cute!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 9:05pm
Hmmmm, two feeds a day? It just sort of happens - you go along feeding like normal then one day they feed less and you sort of think WTF?? My poor boobies are going to pop! The next day they're back to normal (multiple feeds), and the feeding less days become more frequent, then they only feed more when they are grumpy or sick. E has BF in the morning and night normally (I let her choose how/when to cut back and it happened around 13 months), she's had about 4 BF today because she has her first ever ear infection and is a bit off her food because she's got a sore throat to go with it.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 9:50pm
With C I went straight on to cows milk at one, although I was still BF her, she had it on everything and would drink it too, with J, it made his tummy sore so he had soy till about 2.5.

Whatever you do, can't waste your $$ on follow on or toddler formulas, they are a complete and utter waste of money and prey on mums insecurities about their childs diet.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

Whatever you do, can't waste your $$ on follow on or toddler formulas, they are a complete and utter waste of money and prey on mums insecurities about their childs diet.

I second that. We never had toddler formula when we were kids, no matter how fussy we were, and we are healthy enough to be alive and having our own families some years later.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 10:09pm
Yeah I think also they pack extra stuff into toddler formulas so if you do have a fussy eater they will be even less inclined to eat cos they are filling up on the formula.

My understanding is that after 12 months they need around 500ml of dairy from any source so that includes any milk on cereal, cheese, yoghurt etc as well as any milk they drink and ultimately they don't actually need milk if they are getting enough calcium and protein from other sources, i.e breastmilk or their diet in general.

Spencer was bottle fed by then so a bit different but he mostly just dropped the feeds himself, first started sleeping through his mid morning bottle, then I dropped his arvo one when he started monkeying about at dinner time, then he stopped wanting the lunch one, at 18 months he then also stopped wanting his bed time one and just recently I stopped the morning one cos he wasn't wanting breakfast till 10am after drinking his milk.

I've noticed that Kyle is dropping his now as well but he seems to be doing it by stretching his feeds out, he use to be 2-3 hourly and is now 3-4 hourly during the day and is doing longer stretches most nights.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 10:30pm
James is starting to stretch his out too. We used to be 2-3 hourly and now it is more like 5-6hrly. Then we will have a day or two where he wants me all the time. Dont know whether its a growth spurt or a comfort thing or feeling sick so not wanting solids but still thirsty.

Tom just dropped them all by himself. I was BF and bottle feeding from 5.5months and I dropped my last BF (his first feed of the day) at 7 months as he seemed to be farting around so one morning I didnt offer it...he never missed it. I dropped his evening bottle (of cows milk) around 18 months.
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 1:23pm
so is 10 months too young to be only on 2 BF's a day? the last few days R has only wanted the morning and before bed feed I offer him his lunch one about 3 times and he just refuses it I figure he knows what he wants and is obviously happy with just 2 feeds but I would of thought 10 months is too young.....

he is a big solid eter and has breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 2:43pm
I'd keep offering, but he will only drink/eat what his body needs. If he's eating well, and drinking water, don't worry. Breastmilk is the perfect food - and your body will adjust it's "formula" to meet his nutritional requirements. Did you know that as baby feeds less often, there is a higher content of antibodies and good stuff? So what little they do get is better for them (sort of like it's concentrated IYKWIM).
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 2:49pm
wow thats cool didnt know that!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 5:25pm
I bf dd till about 15 mnths. She wouldn't take a bottle. She had been having cows milk on cereal etc since 12 mnths. We use a sippy cup for her milk and its always heated so its warm.
clare00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clare00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 8:10pm
DS is just weaning now, at 26 months. He has never liked straight cow milk but it's never bothered me because he's been so into boobs, and he likes cheese and yoghurt. I use cow milk as much as I can in cooking for him and on his porridge, now that he's weaning especially.

noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 8:04pm
wow I didn't know the less feeds they have the higer concentration of the good stuff in it....ya learn something new every day thanks for the advice ladies, we have just been going with the flow and I have still been offering it and he has had a lunch feed the last 2 days again so will just keep on with whatever he wants.

Post Reply Post Reply