FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreastfeeding and Alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breastfeeding and Alcohol
    Posted: 03 October 2009 at 8:37pm
Does anyone know what the deal is with BF and alcohol? How long does it take to get out of your milk etc? Do you need to express after having and drink and if so, how long after?

DS usually sleeps around 12 hrs at night and I would really like to be able to have a drink, haven't had one for over a year now!! I'm not really a wine drinker unless it's mondoro asti, prefer midori or malibu, are spirits allowed?
Lisa mummy to Ryan
Sponsored Links

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:03pm
I would say that you'd be fine with having a drink or two (or three ) with Ryan sleeping 12 hours. We quite regularly have a glass of wine or two (or three ) with dinner. I'm not sure what exactly is recommended but I'm sure the 'kellymom' site would be able to answer that question. Not too sure about the spirits, I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Other option is maybe EBM for the first morning feed, just for piece of mind.

Have a great time! You've done so well to wait this long, I think I waited all of about 2days post-birth, couldn't resist a wee glass of champers

kellymom Forgot the link!
MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:23pm
Thanks for that link Anna!

Yay I now feel comfortable about having a drink, probably be on the floor after one sip but thats ok lol.
Lisa mummy to Ryan
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:31pm
Earlier on I had one beer....fab for milk production I knew that Cooper would sleep for 6 hours after my beer. I usually have one large glass vodka now with about 4 hours sleep after.

Will Alia I had a red wine about 4pm to help settle her. I ran this past the Dr as my LLL book suggested a port at 10am & 2pm...couldn't quite do that though

Obviously err on the side of caution & if necessary run it past professionals if you want.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:09pm
Yep alcohol is fine in moderation. 1 drink will take roughly 2 hours to pass out of your milk.
So 6 drinks-12hours.
No need to pump and dump either. Breast milk is a blood product and as such the alcohol clears from it.

Also, only about .2% of the alcohol enters the milk in the first place.

And as Aliasmum said, beer is great for milk production (the yeast) In Ireland the Doctors used to send new mothers off to drink a pint of guiness to bring in the milk.

Edited by Kellie

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:14pm
mm guinness, know what i am having watching the league final tonight

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:20pm
Lol now I want some too.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 7:06pm
Well, I have learnt heaps of new things, I have been tea friggin total cos i didn't want Kyle to get wasted on my breastmilk.

I'm not sure I can drink anymore though, has been about 3 years since I had a drink, with pregnancy, feeding, pregnancy, feeding.

Still my 30th is coming up and I won't feel bad now if I have a drink or 5 (although my head will probably feel very bad the next day)

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:28pm

Alcohol takes about 30 mins to pass through to your milk so if you don't want the baby to get any alcohol in their milk (even the minimal amount that gets through) then the best time to drink is straight after a feed (or during if you don't mind the look of baby attached and glass of booze in hand).

Out of interest when my mum was in hospital after having my sister the nurses brought around a glass of sherry for all the new mums (it was Christmas) sadly we now live in a pc world and my maternity ward didn't have a bar

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:21pm
I thought it was one hour per standard drink to clear - so yeah, you could get thru quite a few if you have 12 hours! Also I personally wait til bub is 3 months to be safe, as their liver can't process it at all before then ... but if a tiny amount gets through after that age at least they can process it. I used to express and dump if I had a few drinks with dinner, just cos I usually expressed at night anyway. But no need to if you don't express/feed at that time (if I didn't I would wake in the night cos they were soooo sore!!).
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 5:34pm
Bump
Lisa mummy to Ryan
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 9:56pm
I just have the odd glass of wine and dont even think about it. I wish it would make him sleep better   I wouldnt go on a bender but then again, I think those days are gone anyway...but I figure a glass of wine with dinner is not going to cause any problems and its just about being realistic. Alcohol isnt bad, if its drunk sensibly.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Aliasmum Aliasmum wrote:

Earlier on I had one beer....fab for milk production I knew that Cooper would sleep for 6 hours after my beer. I usually have one large glass vodka now with about 4 hours sleep after.

Hmmm that sounded good...should clarify...baby goes to sleep & then I have a drink & then will wake either 4-6hrs later LOL
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Linda267393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda267393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2021 at 4:02am
Nowadays it is very necessary to know about the first aid. You did not know when these tips will come but it is very necessary to check Addiction Treatment Facility Connecticut to know about the information of life recovering tools. This information is really so well and I like this stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply