FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExpressing rather than breast feeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expressing rather than breast feeding
    Posted: 03 October 2009 at 8:32pm
Did anyone express and feed their baby with EBM, rather than actual breast feeding? If so, how long did you manage to keep up the expressing with decent results? I have been doing this now for just over 7 weeks, and want to do it as long as possible, ut a rough idea would be hugely appreciated. I'm on Domperidone as well.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links

fattykat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:29pm
I've been expressing from about 2 or 3 weeks and my supply is still really good. (so we are at 11.5 weeks) DD just couldn't get the hang of BF and I got sick of LC and everyones advice so just went with EBM, which is working well for the two of us.
Having a good pump is a big thing.
I plan on carrying on as long as I can also.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:20pm
There are a bunch of inspirational stories on ibreastfed.com - great site!

You are doing so awesomely - that must be such hard work. I know Emma did it for a while with the gremlins until they went onto neocate, might be worth PMing her? Or she probably talks about it in the baby diary over on the main site I dare say.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:12pm
Sarahm from the march 09 thread is still doing this now k8e and Floyd is just over 6 months.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 7:08pm
I did it for a while with Spencer, but ended up stopping cos of recurring infections. I always had a really good supply and I bought a double pump so that made things heaps easier and quicker.
I think yummy mummy did it with both her girls for quite some time.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:40pm
Oh wicked, I'm so glad to hear of people doing it long term. I have a fantastic double pump that the hospital has lent to me, and I'm allowed to keep it for as long as I need it, which helps. I don't have a wonderful supply - I usually get about 90-100ml total, but it's enough for one of the girls feeds at the moment and we're happy with that Even if we need to start topping up a bit with formula that's ok too, because they'll still be getting a lot of breast milk.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 10:06pm
We did 10 weeks - doesn't seem like much now, but at the time it was like a lifetime! The biggest achievement was when I was able to drop night expressing coz I could get enough during the day to cover them - that extra 1/2 sleep each feed made such a huge difference! Mind you, I watched some mind-numbing TV in those wee small hours!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 8:05am
I guess I'm lucky that one of the girls feeds slower than the other, so I feed the fast one at night, change her and put her to bed, then I express while DH finishes feeding the slower one...it means that it's all tied in together and doesn't really take any longer than a normal feed.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 8:07am
A friend of mine expressed all feeds for her son from 8 weeks - 8 months
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 2:30pm
I only did 3 weeks and stopped because of certain issues not relating to supply or anything. I would have been happy to continue otherwise but would have invested in a good double pump (I only hand a manual Avent one).

You're doing well Kate, each day you do it is great.
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 10:01pm
I expressed for 6 months with Gina and then for just over 7 months with Emma. I personally did not enjoy b'feeding at all but was OK with expressing.
If you've got a Medela double pump, do what you can to get your hands on their 'hands free kit' - I got mine from the US and it was a life saver! It means you can express and have both hands free to have a cup of tea and browse the net

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 4:21pm
I managed 13 weeks while Aidan was still in NICU, then I got made mastitis so pretty much had no choice but to give up. by this stage too I wasn't getting the best results at the time

I wish I could of continued or even have aidan big enough to actually breastfeed, but he was put onto a special prem formula so he was happy
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

There are a bunch of inspirational stories on ibreastfed.com - great site!

You are doing so awesomely - that must be such hard work. I know Emma did it for a while with the gremlins until they went onto neocate, might be worth PMing her? Or she probably talks about it in the baby diary over on the main site I dare say.

I just wanted to thank you for posting this link!   I have just read a story that immediately clicked something in my mind as to what went wrong in my case!   Lots of things to think about for next time now!!
 Post Reply Post Reply