FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddefrosting breastmilk HELP !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: defrosting breastmilk HELP !
    Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:02am
whats the quickest and safest way to defrost a feed of breastmilk ??

I have it stored in 60ml lots in the avent plastic containers...

Many thanks
Sponsored Links

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:10am
If you want to use it nowish then put the container in a bowl of hot water...

If you want to use it a bit later then you could leave it out defrost on the bench....

I defrosts suprisingly quick acutally.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:21pm
We stand in hot water if we need it quickly, or if I have been a bit more organised I get it out and put it in the fridge or stand it on the bench.

Just don't microwave it as that can kill off some of the goodness in it and also create hotspots (I think)

Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:29pm
yeah if organised enough and if I remembered, I would take it out and leave it on the bench a 1/2 hr before feed time, then warm it in a bowl of hot (but not boiling) water. Otherwise if you need it quickly straight from the freezer, just pop it in a bowl of hot water, and gently swirl it a couple of times (but don't shake) during the thawing process to help mix the cold/warm spots and hurry things along. Hint: you might need to change the water though because I found sometimes the chill from the frozen pottle of milk cooled the water pretty quickly and therefore ended up not doing very much. But it really doesn't take that long (easier said than done though when you've got an impatient screaming little one who really really wants a feed!).

Missed MC July 2011
 Post Reply Post Reply