FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExercising and BF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exercising and BF
    Posted: 26 September 2009 at 7:41pm
   What advice is there around exercising and breastfeeding, does it affect the milk at all??? Hmmm?

Before having the lil girl, i was a frequent jogger and id like to get back into that slowly. Can anyone tell me if there is anything i should be aware of, or, nothing to be worried about?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 8:00pm
Wear a REALLY good bra, ease your way back into exercise, don't try to lose wieght too quickly (losing fat to rapidly release stores of toxins into the body, which is why you sometimes get pimples if you drop a few kg's). Make sure you stay hydrated.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 9:51pm
I second a really good sports bra! I was walking/running most days and playing competitive soccer when I was breastfeeding. Apart from having huge boobs that I had to strap down it was fine. I also timed it so that I did exercise after feeding DD so my boobs were empty as they were way too heavy to run when they were full (and I was scared of leaking everywhere with all the bouncing)!!

It didn't have any effect on my milk supply either
rocmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 4:48am

Thats great thank you! Absolutely, need a good bra for support!

The walking does me wonders!
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 9:18am
Just keep hydrated otherwise your milk will be affected.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:30am
I went back to body combat post c-section and breast feeding when Spencer was 10 weeks.
I researched on kellymom as I'd heard conflicting advise on exercising and BF. I'm so glad I read up on it.

I've lost about 5kg since July goingt to the gym 3 times a week (and I go hard out now )
I'm still BF and it's not affected my milk in anyway.
I just need to make sure I drink lots of water on the days I go.
And yep I forgeot my sports bra one day and it was just awful, lol![o]

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 5:55pm

One thing I have heard is that if your running wear two bras.

Also to feed before the workout as there have been cases of woman getting mastitis from their boobs being full when exercising

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:03pm
My first time back at the gym i didnt even think about wearing a supportive bra...yea i paid the price! (it never was a problem for me before baby) Now i normally wear a good bra and a singlet top with built in support to hold it all in.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:05pm
It did affect my milk supply so I didn't bother til I finished BFng Jake (I lost a kg in the week I tried to work out, but he was so hungry and having extra feeds and didn't gain any weight - which was monitored frequently as he'd been very sick) .... so bear in mind that for some people it does affect milk supply. This time I'm not bothering til I've finished breastfeeding.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply