FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwhat do you expect from ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you expect from ...
    Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:31pm
... the kindy teachers.

we just went to visit the kindy round the corner from us and it seemed to me that the "teachers" didnt interact much with the kids.   in fact one lady seemed to do nothing but sit on her bum outside.??

i know we have already talked about what to expect from the kindy but i wasnt sure how much the "teachers" should be doing.   
Sponsored Links

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:43pm
How long where you there? Some of the kindy experience for kids is finding there own feet and using their own imagination. So there would be times when the teachers are there simply to observe and act as referee if needed.

I know at Jaydens Kindy they had periods where the teachers were really involved (Like building a volcano) but a lot of it was activities already set up and the kids being aloud to choose what they do.

In saying that if the kids asked for teacher involvement or participation then they would do it. Although the male teacher was great at joining in and asking questions etc, the female teacher there was a little slack and preferred just to watch.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:46pm
When I was a student I saw some shocking stuff. One teacher sat outside in the sun and filed her nails for an hour. Occasionally she would look up, but I was surprised at how little she did. But then on most occasions, I saw teachers up and about and interacting non-stop. I guess maybe it depends on the time of day, the activity and the individual teacher. Most are really good from what I saw.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 8:52am
Im not sure I expect a lot from them, would like to think they interact and spend thier time watching and playing with the kids but then I kind of figure I cant have the expectations I do with preschool because I am paying them the same amount in a week I would be a kindy in a year! This is one of the reasons I have held off putting kobe into kindy but then Kobe grizzles when i drop him off at preschool but loves going to pick up my neice from kindy and doesnt want to leave
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 1:02pm
At a Kindy I wouldn't expect too much, they are there to supervise and set the odd activity up. As they don't have a structure they don't usually have set plans for each day and they take each day as it comes. I fould when I did a kindy placement I hated it as there was no structure, the children didn't get to have one on one time with teachers so some missed out on teacher time. Usually the ratio is 15:1 so that is quite a lot of children for 1 teacher.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 8:59pm
I don't know, I certainly don't think it's unreasonable to expect the teachers to interact with the kids. Even tho you pay less per session, they are getting govt funding etc. to provide a quality experience for your child/ren, not to sit outside and file their nails. I have a friend who is a teacher at a community kindy and I know they are constantly interacting with the kids, the kids are allowed to choose where they play and what they play with, but the teachers have activities set up that they supervise for those that want to do them.

Maya is at Montessori preschool and I certainly expect the teachers to interact, and they do. They have a very high ratio of staff:kids so the kids are always well supervised and at any given time there might be 5 teachers doing 5 different activities and the kids join in whichever they are interested in (or in Maya's case, whichever one her friends are doing)
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 9:44pm
when i picked up my neice today they had been baking cookies. things like that are good, they always seem to be baking things and once i picked her up and they had a guy there with a baby wallaby which the kids thought was great. Im not sure if all kindies are like that but I would be happy if kobe went to one that did this sort of thing
 Post Reply Post Reply