FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for those with shared care

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
meganmouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meganmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for those with shared care
    Posted: 19 June 2011 at 8:25pm
Could people who have either their child or have partners with a child in shared care possibly share how they deal with the money side of the equation.
Current DD father has her 5 nights a fortnight so will be getting WFF and the child support that he pays goes from $250 to $88 a month. Is it reasonable that under those circumstances he should also be paying for a third of her daycare, swimming lessons etc?
What does everyone else do in similar circumstances? Do you have it in writing / have a parenting plan?
I have the parenting plan off the Justice Website http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/family-court/documents/pdf-pamphlets/082_Parenting-Plan.pdf and was going to see about fillling it all in with him. I dont really want to get lawyers involved or anything and I dont want it to be all about money but Im just worried IFKWIM?
Sponsored Links

julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 9:35am
my partner has a 6yr old dd with his previous partner , we have his dd between 5-7 nights a fortnight so around about half . My dp pays a smaller amount of child support and he also pays for ALL her school uniforms , school fees ,gym lessons , drs visits , regular ear apointments at $50 an apointment, pretty much everything that is extra and she has a full wardrobe of clothes here and a full wardrobe of clothes at her mums so her mum buys the clothes for her house and we buy the ones for here! only thing we share is her school bag , uniform (which was all purchased by my dp ), her room is all set up here and she has hepas of toys ,books , a bike , scooter etc etc (all bought by dp) and we frequently take her out to movies , zoo , outings etc and we always pay for these (her mother tends not to take her on outings ) . i hope that helps a bit . i tend to think that if your ex is paying a smaller amount of child support then he should definatly share the other expenses because at the end of the day when you take everything into considertaion (rent with a room for your child , food , power , clothing , outings , afterschool lessons and all the rest ) you are paying out alot more than $88 a month!

Edited by julz85
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 1:14pm
My DD's dad only has her one afternoon (2.5hrs) and one overnight a week (24hrs) and he pays me child support but we still split all her extra expenses down the middle (including the cost of daycare). She does dancing through daycare and also I take her to swimming and we each pay half of those costs. He is also responsible for her clothes, food and toys when she is at his house. Even though she is under 6 and its free anyway our agreement says he is responsible for half her medical bills as well. The thinking behind our agreeement was that despite me mainly having custody she is jointly our responsibility so anything that falls outside of normal day to day costs(such as her swimming) should be shared by both of us as long as we have both agreed to her doing the activity before payment is asked for.

We have ours in writing as part of our child support agreement. We talked about what we each should pay for and I put it in writing and we both signed it. We both have a signed copy of the agreement. I did it as part of our child support agreement so I wrote in a bit about us reviewing the agreement every year on 1 April (start of the financial year) but we didn't bother this year.

Hope that helps.
meganmouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meganmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 9:12pm
Thanks for that Julz and Shelt. Nice to know that I am on the right track.
Shelt how / where did you do the child support agreement? Is it a legal document?

Sorry I really have no idea. Was trying to do everything without a lawyer, but now Im thinking that it might be good to go and chat to one.

Cheers
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 6:53pm
I wrote it myself. No, its not a legal document in that a lawyer didn't prepare it but we have both signed it so at least it shows intention if we were to ever have an argument about the whole thing.
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 8:57pm
hi, my ex has the kids half a week so any trips etc on his days, he pays for. any on mine i pay for. if tht makes sense?

i.e. i send DS1 to swimming on a sat am which is my day so i pay for it

hope that helps

Post Reply Post Reply