FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDaytime Sleeping Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pennypower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennypower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daytime Sleeping Issue
    Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:25pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and was wanting some advice.

Our little girl is just over 4 weeks old. For the past week she has suddenly stopped sleeping during the day unless she is out in the buggy or in the car in which case she easily sleeps 2-3 hours in which case she is out like a light in a few short minutes. She will take the odd short nap (20 mins) in a bopster pillow on the couch during the day but otherwise if we spend the day at home she is virtually awake from 7am to 7pm. She has a real day time aversion to her bassinette in particular. When I try and put her down in her bassinette during the day she will stay quiet for between 5 and 20 minutes before she starts screaming. I don't go in straight away. I usually leave her for 10 minutes or so before trying to shush her back to sleep. I repeat this twice more before I admit defeat and get her up. I have put her down both awake and asleep but the end result makes no difference. Unfortunately she works herself in to such a state which is hard to see and hear and I feel like the worst mother!

On the upside she sleeps very well at night (between 8-9 hours with one feed somewhere in the middle) and she goes down really easily to her bassinette during the night time. This happens regardless of whether she sleeps during the day or not so she is not doing these long night time sleeps out of exhaustion. So, why the daytime aversion to the bassinette and what can I do about it?

She's a very slow eater (it takes just over an hour all up) and I keep a close eye out for her tired signs (she's a yawner and a starer) but even when I see them and I know she's tired she still fights it and wants to stay awake. I really appreciate the fact that she's a good night time sleeper but I just don't get anything done during the day. Sometimes she is happy to sit and look around, other times she grizzles and cries and the only way I can get her to calm down is to feed her which then interupts the rough routine of the day.

I thought she might like to sleep in the living room during the day to be near me so we set up a hammock and we also have two different bouncers but to no effect. We also have a front pack but I am yet to try this out. I worry that if she is awake all day that this is going to harm her in some way. I feel that she is just too little to be awake all of this time. But then as my Midwife said "You can't make her sleep".

Does anyone have any advice for babies who refuse to sleep in their bassinettes during the day? Or sleep at all during the day?

So sorry for the long post! Any advise would be really appreciated.

Thank You :)

Penny.
Sponsored Links

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 5:27pm
Hi, I would have the same concerns , it would seem to me that thats not nearly enough for a young baby

I would have a look at the sleep stores website and see what advice they have, maybe she just misses her mummy - she has only been out a little while and is used to being snuggled up to you. If the sleep store still leaves you wondering I would try the front pack

Good luck hun
http://lilypie.com]
lilliz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilliz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 5:53pm
I completely understand where you are coming from.

I have a 10 week old boy and from about 7 weeks his day time sleeps have been a nightmare. He also can be up from 7am-7pm unless I take him out in the car or buggy. He obviously loves movement. That will teach me for going to the gym on a daily basis right up until his birth (including the treadmill on the day I went into labour!!)

But seriously, I'm having exactly the same issue. I have tried everything to try and get him to sleep in his cot during the day - white noise, letting him self settle, rocking, swaddling, patting, putting down asleep, putting down awake etc. I thought I would get tough three weeks ago and do the let him cry for 5, 7, 10 minutes with sshhing after each interval, but this has seen almost no change.

On a good day it takes me around 30-40 minutes to settle him to sleep, only for him to wake 45 minutes later (sometimes only 10 or 20). I try to resettle him as I can see he is tired, but the long process starts all over again to the point where he is still awake when its time for his next feed. That's if I haven't given in already and gotten him up. So on average he would get say 3-5 hours of sleep during the day which are all in short spurts.

At night he is an amazing sleeper. He goes down at 7pm and sleeps through to 6.30am with a dreamfeed at 11pm. I too, appreciate his great night sleeping but surely he should sleep during the day more too.

I'm almost to the point where I accept the fact that 'you can't force a baby to sleep if they don't want to' but like you, I know he should be and feel like a failure that he can't.

I've decided I'm going to take him to the doctor next week just to check that he doesn't have silent reflux or something.

I'm at a complete loss and I'd love any suggestions or thoughts too

So Penny - you are NOT on your own if thats any consolation!!!!
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 5:55pm
http://www.thesleepstore.co.nz/Sleep+Information/Newborn+Sleep+and+Settling+information.html
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 7:02pm
My DS was not a good sleeper under 4mths. Not great between 4 -8mths. Now he's a good sleeper
Unfortunately I can't really offer any advice because I don't think any of the improvements along the way have been anything I've done - it's all him.
A few things I'd do differently if I could have his new born/early months again. . . .
I'd get a sling, one of those criss-cross ones.
I'd buy a baby swing (powered rocker)
I'd complain less about him only sleeping in my arms (I miss it now).
I'd relax a little more when his pattern didn't fit the model for his age.
Jess439 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess439 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 7:15pm
My little Miss is exactly the same. Awesome night sleeper, from 8 weeks she has been sleeping right through 7pm to about 6:30am and even when she was NB would wake up 2 times max a night. Horrible day slepper though! We had some horror runs where she would be awake for pretty much the whole day and it was heartbreaking seeing her so overtired and unhappy. In the end I did two full days at Plunket and that was really useful. She's still not a big day sleeper but she will do 2 x 1 hour and 1 x 2 hour naps now.

Plunket push for feeding every two hours, which is pretty exhausting and didn't really suit for us, but a couple of tricks that worked great were putting a dark sheet over her bassinet so she couldn't look out and get stimulated, and using only rocking if she was grizzling when she went down. Before that we would pull out anything and everything! She sleeps in a peke moe so she is kind of swaddled and she settles for her naps much better if we put her in her peke moe and let her chill out in a quiet place in the house a few minutes before she actually goes into her cot.

I got soooo desperate with her too, took her to the doctor lots and she had a few appointments with the osteopath as well. Think I just accepted that she does the bulk of her sleeping at night but it can be really hard for getting stuff like housework done in the daytime. If all else failed I would give her a BF and let her sleep then or go for a long drive in the car.
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 7:46pm
safety sleep.....my boy wouldnt sleep until i put him in it..took a few days but with that and either a wrap or bag...slept like a gem
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 10:37pm
Have you guys got a Plunket Family Centre near you? They'll be able to spend some time with you guys and hopefully work some things out.

My first thoughts when they're not sleeping at all was reflux like you're wondering lilliz, so good idea about going to the doctor.

Maybe try something like raising the head of the bassinette?

I spent a lot of our early days with Cooper either sleeping in my arms or in the sling or going for walks. Then I got a hammock which was awesome - still mainly short sleeps but better.

Definitely check out the sleepstore website, they're constantly updating and have newsletters with lots of info.

Penny - if your little girl goes to sleep straight away in the buggy, what if you just put her in the that and rock it back and forth for awhile, would she go to sleep then? Does she stay asleep when you stop?   I've heard suggestions that going over a little bit of a bump works well too, like over a rug or a cord or something like that. One of my friends babies has all their daysleeps in the buggy and is really portable when out and about so that's a bit of a bonus.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 11:31pm
Could they be having growth spurts, babies do funny things during them, some eat more, some eat less and sleep more, some have more awake time...

Lily has 'periods' where she will sleep less. I remember around 4-7 weeks felt like she never slept during the day sometimes!!

Do you swaddle? Some babies love to be swaddled to bed!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 11:32pm
Also don't worry about how long feeding takes... Lily fed for an our in the beginning too, then it was 30 mins, now it is 5-10 mins a side!
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 5:18pm
ugh i remember those days only too well. We made the decision early on with a very nosy parker, spirited baby that it was important that he had day time sleep and so i made sure he had at least one long sleep each day, whether in the front pack or my arms or capsule etc.

The reality is that some babies need less sleep than others and are harder to get to sleep. Don't worry too much about trying to get all sleeps being longer than 45 mins, but it is worth trying. So maybe say to yourself, if baby wakes after 45 mins i'll try to resettle for 15 mins (however you can) and then just give up and start the awake time. Otherwise you can spend your life in there shh/patting. Which is soul destroying! Hopefully you'll get at least one longer sleep.

By the 3rd nap if no luck what i do is after 45 mins get him up and get him to sleep on me or in front pack so one sleep is longer. Then you can sit on the couch with him in your arms and read a mag or watch crap daytime tv etc.

Hopefully over time your little one gets used to the concept of longer sleeps.

Trying to get them to sleep in the first place is a whole different ballgame. Sounds like you've tried everything. I will say that often babies get better around 6-8 weeks of age and using whatever you can in the short term is worth it to get them some much needed sleep. Just vary the way, so one sleep in pram, one in capsule, one in front pack etc so baby doesn't become completely addicted to one particular way. You can always wean things later, but setting up good sleep patterns now is important i think.

I assume you've tried the swaddle, white noise, dark room etc. Dummy?
Family Centres are great, it might not all work but it's worth a go, and if you get one thing out of it then it's one more thing than you now have, i know people who have found it amazing for them.
Any family members you can ask for advice, someone to come and hang out with you for a day and help? Sometimes outsiders can see things you can't when you're emotionally attached.

These kinds of kids grow into cool, energetic little people but are tough work!

Helen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 9:27pm
It s so hard I know because I have had 2 children do the exact same thing.

One thing that I want you to remember is that having a good night sleep is the thing that you want in the long term.

I understand that your baby is not getting enough during the day but eventually she won't be having any daytime sleep.

This is a good thing but really hard to deal with. What I did with both my children is to try to go wth the flow during the daytime. If they needed to go for a walk in the buggy or a car ride then that is what I did. If that was what was needed to get them to sleep longer then I did it.

I firmly believe that most babies have a pattern of shorter daytime sleeps from anywhere from 6 weeks to about 6 months. It will get better but for now to save your sanity try to plan your day around however many short naps she does. For example with dd#2 I had 4 x 45 min naps durng the day at one stage.

Just so you know now we have ended up with her having mostly 1 x day sleep now for about 1 hr 45 mins to 2 and a half hours

hils10 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hils10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 3:45pm
I would try your frontpack, or better still get a sling. My little one started doing exactly the same thing at around 4 weeks - no problems sleeping at night but just wouldn't settle in the bassinet during the day. I ended up just wearing her in my sling, or putting her in the buggy for all her day naps so I could get some stuff done during the day and we could both relax.

At about 12 weeks I started again with trying to settle her in the bassinet. I would get her really sleepy in the sling then quickly pop her in bed just before she fell asleep and keep my hands on her (rocking, patting etc) until she was asleep. I did this with one sleep a day to start with and would give up if it took longer than 20-30 mins for her to get to sleep (normally if she was sleepy enough when I put her down she'd only fuss for like 5 mins then be asleep). Pre-warming the bed with a heat pack works well too. I gradually weaned her off being in the sling first and rocking etc and now at just over 4 months she is pretty good at settling in bed for naps (but still has at least one nap a day in the sling when we are out and about). She still only sleeps for 30-40 min at a time regardless of what I try to do to resettle her, but at the moment I'm just going with it in the hope that she'll eventually start taking fewer longer naps!

I think at 4 weeks you should just do what you need to do to get her to sleep, and don't stress about whether the sleeping is happening in her bed or not. She probably still needs movement and to be snuggled up to Mum to sleep and you have plenty of time to get her into "good" sleeping habits.

pennypower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennypower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 9:16pm
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so much for your lovely, friendly advice. There have been some great tips, but mostly it was been wonderful to know that I am not alone and this is really quite a common problem. (Why don't they tell you about this???)

The last few days have been a little better. She still will absolutely not sleep in her bassinet during the day. I still try at each sleep time but when she starts to get hysterical I bring her back out to the living room and prop her up with a boppy pillow and cozy blanket and she'll snooze for half an hour or so. We also try to go out once each day so she falls asleep in the buggy or the car. She will stay asleep once we get home. I'll either leave her in the capsule in the living room or sometimes I also manage to transfer her to her bassinet.

I guess the biggest thing though has been my change in attitude and accepting that this is what she is doing right now. Now I know that it is normal, very common and doing her no harm, I feel quite a bit more relaxed about it. It's still very frustrating that I'm not getting much done during the day but I can't complain when she sleeps so well at night.

I'm going to try one of the courses at the Sleep Store and also spend a day at the local Parent Centre.
We've pretty much ruled out Reflux and Colic although we've raised the head end of her bassinet just in case.
We've got a front pack which I will try out this week.
Also might try pushing the buggy around the house as she obviously likes movement to nod off during the day.
Yes, she is definately swaddled for sleep time (but she has slept in the living room unswaddled a couple of times and she's fine with that too).
Yes, we've also got white noise. However, again, she doesn't seem to care whether it is on or not. It makes no difference to the end result.
We've also tried a dummy. That helps a little during the day when she is dozing in the living room but more often than not she spits it out and starts crying. All it really does is buy me an extra 5 or 10 minutes during the day time. Night time she doesn't need any help going to sleep so we dont bother then.

Thank you again to everyone who is going through or has been through the same situation. It was very reassuring to know that it's not just us.

Would love to hear any other tips that anyone has.
I'll keep you all posted on how we're getting on.

Penny xxx
Bobchannz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobchannz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 6:33pm
My daughter did the same thing around 4 weeks. It drove me crazy.

I called Plunketline because she was doing the most disgusting crying - her face would go all red! They told me that she was overtired and had gotten to the stage where she needed to be taught how to get herself off to sleep.

I used a dummy and put her in the pram, locked the wheels on straight and rocked her over the bump between carpet and vinyl. It took 10 minutes the first time - you know it is working if the periods of silence between the cries increase. Over the next couple of days it rapidly decreased, until if I put her in the pram she would just fall asleep. I then moved her to her bassinette, keeping the dummy in. A few weeks later we got rid of the dummy. You can swaddle if you want using this technique. We didn't, because our daughter hated it.

From memory she would have been having at least three sleeps a day at this stage, maybe more? She was also sleeping a lot at night.

Good luck - sleep problems are just the worst! Try each technique for a couple of days - as it can take a wee while for the baby to pick up what you are teaching!
www.makedomum.blogspot.co.nz
 Post Reply Post Reply