FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSkin to skin contact and breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skin to skin contact and breastfeeding
    Posted: 20 September 2005 at 10:51pm
Hey there, I have been reading up about skin to skin contact and breastfeeding. Am checking out a heap of research articles about it... just out of interest, how much (if any) skin to skin contact did you have with your baby/s after birth, and how long did you end up breastfeeding for, both exclusively and all up.    This is just personal interest. just thought it might be interesting to see if anyone else thinks there's anything in it and find out other's experiences.

For me, i had pretty much none with Paris as they whisked her away pretty swiftly once i started bleeding.... i had a huge amount of feeding probs with her, and by 4 months she was having 3 quarters of her feeds from a bottle as there was no way she would take the breast alot of the time.   on the other hand, with Ayja, she was placed on my chest, direct skin to skin, with towels etc placed over her to keep her warm, and she stayed there for at least the first half hour until she had had her first feed. apart from a few little annoying probs now and then, it has been pretty good going with the breastfeeding and also with the bonding process betweeen us... which i felt was really important as that was lacking from my experience with Paris (sadly )Ayja is about 18 weeks now i think, something like that anyway.. and as yet has not had any supplementing although she will have to have a few bottles of expressed milk while i am on placement and cannot get to feed her. I think that time after birth i spent with her has made a difference. This may just be co-incidence since maybe i am "older and wiser" this time, who knows.

anyone that wants to add their experiences it would be really interesting to hear about them.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 1:09am
i had about half an hour with jake. And he had his first feed and stuff. i breastfed exclusively til 3 months and then at night only til four months. we never had any problems with him feeding...little guts!
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 8:27am
I had skin to skin contact with Sophie, not sure how long - not as long as I would have liked.  I feed her untill about 20 months when she weaned herself, she was down to 1-2 feeds a day at that stage though
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 9:03am
I had Skin to Skin Contact straight away, and he took to the breast pretty much straight away we had the skin to skin contact from 11.47am when he was born untill 1.30pm when they said I could go for a shower

Trish
paigesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paigesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 12:24pm
With Paige Ihadskin contact right after birth and feed her can't remember how long, and with Blake he had a knot in his cord so they took him away for a few minutes to check him but when he was brought back he was placed straight on me and again feed him.
Paige I feed until she was 14 months and hopefully do the same with Blake!
Very interesting Janine,never thought about the difference that contact makes!
Karen.
had

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 5:51pm
I didn't have skin to skin contact due to Han needing a bit of suction etc but fed her pretty soon fter. I had a crap time feeding at start, milk seemed like it took forever to come in (was about 3 days) and in the mean time Han had lost a lot of weight "(more than 10%) and I ended up supplementing breast (with no damn milk) with formula to follow. Nazi breast feeding lady was so paranoid I'd give up.

Han is now almost 11 months and I am still breast feeding and have not had any problems since my milk came in. That kinda discredits the crap they throw at you about how with just one bottle your baby could refuse to feed from the breast etc.

Have been giving Han formua at creche since she was 8 months, she still doesn't take it very well - definitely prefers the breast!
Kiwimeesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwimeesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 8:19pm

I didn't have immediate skin to skin as Jack was a section baby. His dad had first cuddles. Then I got to cuddle for about an hour I think when he had his first feed too.

Breast feeding was a bit sore to start with with latching problems but once that was sorted it's been wonderful. I'm still breastfeeding at 9 months. I started one formula feed a couple of weeks ago before bedtime but that's purely because my monkey has refused anything but boob for most of his life so far so when he finally relented and took a bottle a week ago (much to my shock) I just had to keep it going. So as a result I'm heading out on my first night out since the day he was born. Hurrah! I feel I derserve it.
AnnaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 8:26am
Quinn was a water baby, I don't really remember much of the birth but I think there were only a few moments of skin to skin contact as I had to get out of the pool to deliver the placenta, then dad had a cuddle and I think I breastfed him but not for long. We were up and off to birthcare within two hours.

He was exclusively breastfed for six months and I have just finished breastfeeding him at about13 months. He only had a couple of formula feeds as he took a bizarre dislike to the bottle after about ten times!

Enjoy your night out Kiwimeesh, my first one after Quinn was born ended up with me in tears cause i missed him! Tragic huh?
Anna and Quinn 10 July 2004
www.quinnariki.blogspot.com
and one more on the way....

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 2:13pm
I don't remember how long I had skin to skin contact with Maya, but I do think now that I would have liked it to be longer. I had to wait a few minutes because she had to be suctioned, and then her cord was too short to reach me so I had to cut the cord before I could hold her properly.

I put her on the breast straight away, but I don't feel that she actually fed, or even really latched properly then. It was all too new, and now it's all a bit of a blur.

I breastfed her for 10 mths, she had a couple of bottles of formula around 2-3 weeks as I had severe mastitis and could only feed on one side, but after that refused to take a bottle and happily fed till I had to wean her for medical reasons at 10 mths.

Even now, nearly 2 years later, I regret being talked into stopping feeding. I realise that I gave her the best start by feeding for so long, but I feel like I was cheated out of making the decision to stop.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mumstheword View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumstheword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 2:48pm
Wow, i feel like i missed out with Caleb, i had him by c-section and he was wisked away to the neo nats after I got to kiss his head.. I didnt get to give him a cuddle till he was 12days old the best skin to skin was holding his foot or his hand... He was tube feed till 12days old then tube bottle and breast till 2mnths old then bottle and breast, i brest fed till about 4mnths he used to take either with no worries, but I had to express and add calouries to my milk as he needed more goodness to help him gain weight as he had sever relux and most feeds came back up... oh what a trying time I had.. But I have the closet bond with him, i used to read to him all day and every day that I couldnt hold him so my voice was the voice he hearm most often cause I was scared we wouldnt bond, and even when i could cuddle him it was only 15mins once a day till he was better... but we always had a bond, i suppose im very lucky tghat I have that bond, I know alot of neo nat babies that are happy with anybody holding or feeding them.. caleb was always a mummys boy, i made sure i was there for every bum change and i even got up tp do his night tube feeds when he was in the incubator
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 10:14pm
mmm i have read some things about something called Kangaroo care for premmies, same sort of principles, once baby is up to it of course.

I am comingup for my first proper night away from Ayja, and i dunno how i am going to be... expecially since she has had the flu for the past 2 days and is not really getting too much better, i really hope it goes in the next few days, poor mite, don't want to leave her when she's sick.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 8:42pm
I hope it goes well Janine! My first night ever away from Maya was when I ended up in hospital when I hurt my back. Maya was about 15 mths then, and she rode with me in the ambulance (in her carseat) and then Willie met us at the hospital. The doctor came in about 3am and I was howling my eyes out and he was like "Oh, I'll get you some more pain relief you poor thing", and I said "I just want my baby!". The pain of being away from her was worse than the pain in my back.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply