FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYuck yuck yuck! Mould!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yuck yuck yuck! Mould!!!
    Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:07pm
I am SOOO not impressed

Went to change our bed the other day... Got DF to twist the mattress around (its one sided so we just twist it) and saw his side (closest to the window) on the bottom has got mould on it... Even the bed slats had mould on them

I'm thinking it as from when he got really sick a wee while back, woke up twice to him having soaked through the bed (2 nights in a row) but I'd aired the mattress out and thought it was ok (after those 2 nights he slept on the leather couch LOL)

I've tried tipping it up and sitting it in the sun... But its not helping!!! It's a $3000 mattress we've had for less than a year!!!

How do I get rid of it?!?!!
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:09pm
Oh and his side of the bed is closest to the window... And we often have the window open, and the top little window is always open a weeee bit to get fresh air in...

Although now the mouldy patch is under my legs, away from the window (it was a round patch about where chest/tummy lies in bed)

Its only on the under side of the mattress, not on the top side...
Jemms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jemms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:25pm
Oh poor you! Mould sux!

We had mould on our carpet a while back and although a dehumidfyer would dry it out, and bleach can kill it, I don't know of any tricks to get rid of it permenantly sorry.

Can you claim insurance perhaps?

Are the carpets under the bed also effected?
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:26pm
apparently you can get a spray that kills mildew and mould - will see if i can google it and get a name for you
http://lilypie.com]
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:33pm
http://www.kiwicare.co.nz/index.cfm/1,175,0,0,html/NO-Damp-Mould-or-Mildew    maybe this?

or someone else i googled suggested this
Oil of cloves is a very good mildew/mould remover, and is especially nifty because it kills mould spores.

Mix about ten drops of clove oil into a spray bottle with about 50 ml of water. Shake well and spray onto affected area. Wait for it to dry and spray again. Brush the mildew off in between sprays (when fabric is dry). A few successive sprays/brushings should deal to it.
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 11:49pm
I really feel for you hun, all the base of my queen bed is covered in mould. We've just got a new rental property to move into after being stuck in this damp/mouldy house for 6 months ...the mould is on EVERYTHING ...walls, carpets, cealings, window sills you name it! It's taken over most of our furniture too, im going to ring Contents and see if i can claim anything tomorrow ...don't like my chances though.

Let us know how you get on as im keeping an eye on this thread.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 9:26am
I'm not too sure about that spray, but thanks for the link. Just cos its a mattress and I'm a little iffy about that

Someone else also suggested the clove oil thing, I might have to see if I can find some clove oil somewhere I'm thinking I might use another mattress for a few days and treat it during that time...

The carpet under the bed is fine, not a touch in it... Stupid slat bed!!! I thought slat beds were meant to prevent this as they can breathe better!!! I'm not keen on claiming insurance, as we only just done house/contents insurance about 3 weeks ago... It might be a bit suspicious if I do that now Just so frustrating as during winter I often run the dehumidifier during the day and windows open airing the place out...

I can't wait to move into our new house. As much as I like this one... It is a wee bit damp!!!
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 9:28am
I bought clove oil from the chemist a few months ago for my tooth absess then also used it as a mould killer on the damp wall of our house - 2 birds with 1 stone!
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 2:40pm
How can landlords get away with such mouldy houses?

Oct 11
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by BaAsKa BaAsKa wrote:

I bought clove oil from the chemist a few months ago for my tooth absess then also used it as a mould killer on the damp wall of our house - 2 birds with 1 stone!

What does it do for a tooth abscess?
Sounds like handy stuff to have in the cupboard. We have damp problems downstairs as our place is dug in on 1 side, so I am always looking for good idears so think I will try that one.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply