FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreast Feeding to Bottle Feeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rozi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast Feeding to Bottle Feeding
    Posted: 29 April 2005 at 10:27am
Hey. Bubba has got two teeth and bites me often enough for me not to like it anymore. Sure I like breastfeeding, but I'd like a bit more freedom, Plus getting my husband and 9 year old to experience the joy of feeding the baby with a bottle. I think six months is OK. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it. Or a www. site with good information on it. I know that some people just keep up with one feed a day or something. I'm not sure how to go about it or anything. I think I'd slowly like to take him off it!!!! I want to get my body back into shape and many people say breastfeeding. But I'm so hung up about geting enought calcium and stuff that I probably eat too much, milk cheese etc. Let me know what you guys think. cheers. Rozi

Sponsored Links

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 12:11pm
If you want to give it up. Try dropping a feed a week. You may have trouble with the last one you drop. Alyssa loved her morning feeds and i found that the hardest to give up (for me really). If you drop a feed a week your boobs should cope okay. You can ring nurticia (karicare) and they will send you out some formula samples for free to see if your baby likes any. Good luck with your decision.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
melz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 12:19pm
When we swapped Angie onto the bottle, we were just mean and stopped cold turkey. It was really hard the first morning, and Angie wasn't interested in the bottle at all. Eventually we resorted to a syringe. I was just going to give up and she just decided she would take the bottle and we never looked back. I did like the fact that we could give her away for the night and not have to worry....more than you do anyway!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 6:55pm
I stopped cold turkey at 10 mths, but only coz Maya was sick, otherwise I would have weaned her more slowly. We did have a huge battle to get her to take the bottle tho, and I founf it helped if someone else fed her so she couldn't see/smell boobies. I also found that the only teats she would take were the Avent ones, which are apparently shaped like a nipple (I'm pretty sure my nipple doesn't look like that ). Also, if you have a problem, try expressing milk and using that in the bottle to start with so that the taste is the same as the breast, and then you can gradually switch to formula.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 8:23pm
We started switching Ella at 8 months, finally gave up the final morning feed at nearly 10 months when she lost interest.
Hubby had to give her the bottle for the first few days as she wouldnt take it from me. I also put a tiny bit of cadburys drinking chocolate (like milo) in the bottle for the first week or so for some flavour, just enough to colour the milk until she got used to it.
Then there was no looking back, she is just finishing off her last tin of formula then she will be fully on cows milk (have been mixing it for the last 2 weeks).
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 9:48am
Resurrecting topic -

Hannah has just got her two top teeth and has started biting me - lots! Last night when I was feeding at 4am, and being bitten to pieces, I was very ready to give up. I love breastfeeding but I don't know if I can cope with the chomping!

Anyone got any info on different formula brands? I've requested a sample from HEINZ and I'm going to track down Karicare. Has anyone tried the goats milk formula? I know absolutely nothing about formula so I'd appreciate help on finding info!
bub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 10:27am
i started giving Brianna a bottle at about 7and a half months even tho it took her ages before she would take it. i was scared to put her on the breast coes she had being been biting. i just use nurture formula but its could that you are getting samples of things.

Rachel & Brianna
mother to Brianna, Amelia & Mathew.

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 11:11am
We use nuture to top abby up after breastfeeding and she's thriving on it. You can buy in in little pack of 5 sachets from the supermarket for a couple of dollars to try it. We've used it for all our kids, the boys were on it after a couple of months. You guys are starting to scare me with all this talk of biting etc. Abby hasn't got any teeth as yet but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. They reckon you should wean slowly so it doesn't bung up there system.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:57pm
I'm not much help on formulas since Maya was allergic to all of them, but Karicare have a great advisory service. The 0800 number is on the side of the Robinsons Baby Food, and the Karicare formulas. They'll send you samples and advice on Goats formula, soy etc.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 1:28pm
You can buy Karicare formula in individual sachets from the supermarket. Each sachet contains enough formula to make up one bottle. I found them great for going out, as its all pre-measured, and also great for when Kiya was down to one bottle a day. I put her onto formula at 6months 'cause I wasn't looking after myself, and I ran out of milk. The formula feeds supplimented her solids.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 2:28pm
Thanks guys! All the info is a great help. I'm not sure I'm going to switch to formula yet, Hannah won't need me as much if I do!!!
I'm hoping the biting will stop after this tooth comes down, but if not it's nice to know that I can save my nipples by giving her something else!
We'll see what happens
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 5:15pm
nikki what worked when alyssa bit me (she only did it a couple of times ) was just taking her off the breast and not putting her back on till next feed. She soon got the message. Im a mean mummy

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 5:23pm
I did the same thing with Kiya, Maria. Worked for me, too!
Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 8:04pm
No not mean at all u guys.Thats the best way to stop babes from biting cos they learn that if they bite they get no boob so they stop!!
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 8:20pm
That's a really good tip guys, all that talk of biting was freaking me out. Abby already uses on a s a chew toy.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 11:51pm
I'm not breasfeeding anymore but jake is fascinated with nipples in the bath and will grab and twist. lovely child.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 9:46am
Yeah, I do the removal thing when she chomps... but the teeth seem to make my nipples really raw without her even biting!!!
Arghhhh teeth
There is the odd time when Hannah will bite down hard and then turn around and smile at me. I swear that is her father coming out in her! Devil child.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 2:56pm
i went thru that too nikki - i almost felt like we had started breastfeeding all over again... and the turning the head suddenly without letting go - ouch! eventually it all settled down again with some removing when he did things like bite me and watch my reaction.

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 6:44pm
I was living with my parents when Kiya was little - my Dad would stand on the other side of the room and call her, just to make her turn her head! She'd either drag me with her, or she'd let go, leaving me spraying every where! Dad thought either outcome was hillarious! I could have killed him sometimes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2005 at 6:18pm
my dad does exactly the same thing!!!! i'd definitely have thrown something at him but for the baby in my arms. he's damn lucky that it's hard to run with a child on your lap and boobs out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>