FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow old are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 10:02am
Hey, Kiya got called a boy even when she was dressed head-to-toe in pink! Comes from having very little hair, I guess.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 11:13am
Was reading back over the early posts on this topic and its so nice to see lots of other young mums. Makes me feel a bit more normal (whatever normal is!). My husband and I are both 23 and a lot of people think we are a bit odd for actually wanting to have kids now and not being career-focused and going overseas etc but I am not at all interested in doing that - am really looking forward to being a mum! Anyway, was just thinking its nice having contact with others who are in similar situations. Its a great website
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Southlandmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southlandmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 3:00pm
Hi all

Im here, just hardly post as not so sure what to say, and ive got limited time when I get the chance to get on here, Kaylin must know its wake up time when mum wants some mum time!!

Kaylin was accused of being a girl when he was born I kinda thought it was his name but as he got older hes accused of being a boy..

Amy - I wanted to be sorted in my life before I had children, I wasent married but had set a date . My mum had me at 19 and I thought that was too early for me as I had other plans in mind then and I hadent met my now husband anyway..

Better suss out some tea..
Cindy - Princess and Princes
Samia Isobel Joy born 9th September 2008
Spencer Graeme John born 29th May 2006
Kaylin Gavin Robert born 19 December 2004
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 9:14am
Yep Aimee, lots of people thought we were nuts, but it is nice to know that by the time we are in our mid-30's to early 40's our kiddies will be out of home, for some, they are just starting their families at that age.   I guess everyone is very different, some have a life before their kids, and some have kids and then live their life. all it means for me and mike, is that once the kiddies are out of home, we will have more time and more money than if we had had our children later, cos theres only so much fun you can have on a student income.mike's parents had him when they were 15, and he moved out of home at 16. so they have had all of their 30's to themselves, and travel and go without nothing - i think that's what inspires us to keep going with what we are doing so that we can be the same.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 10:07am
I didn't plan to have Maya at 21, but I definitely don't regret it. It is hard sometimes financially, and I do have to work, but then I am not really a SAHM sort of person so I think even if I had been older when I had her I might still have chosen to go back to work and put her in part time care.
Getting pregnant and having Maya did put a huge strain on my relationship with Maya's dad, and we split up for 18 mths, but we are now back together and planning to get married, I think having her has made us both grow up a lot (and he is in his 40's so he should be well grown up by now lol).
I agree with Janine that one of the advantages is that by the time I am 40 my kid/s will be grown, but on the downside if Maya has a baby at the same age I did I will be a grandmother at 41!
Having Maya young has also made me decide that I don't want to have children after I'm 30. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that, just that I don't want to spend my 20's and my 30's raising babies. We haven't decided how many kids we want, but we've still got 5 1/2 years to get on with it!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 1:15pm
I didn't plan on having Kiya when I was 20, in fact I found out I was pregnant (and around 20 weeks!) a month after my birthday. It was hard being a single mum, Kiya's dad didn't want to know and I haven't heard anything from him since she was 6 weeks old.

I do NOT regret having her, though. I may have had to grow up a lot faster than I would have otherwise, but it has been so worth it. And now that I've got Nathaniel and Josiah, life is pretty sweet. Nathaniel and I want another 3 kids, and not too spread apart, so we should have them all out of the house by the time we reach our 40s.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 2:49pm
Am I still classed as a young mum? (26) I sure feel young, compared to all of our friends we are young to have kids! We just felt it was the right time and thought it was silly to wait any longer although it did mean moving back to NZ from Europe and earning heeeeeeeaaaaaaaps less now than we did there. We weighed up the pros and cons and decided it would never be the "right time" and that being releatively young parents over here was much more important to us than saving lots of money and ending up having our first when I was way into my 30's. It has been really tough making the transition back to being here but, with only about 6 weeks to go we are ready for our "reward"!! LOL

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 3:05pm
Gosh...I am 27 and feel like I left it too long. By the time my kid is 20 I will be 47....arrgggg!

I am definitely not waiting too long for the second....

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 12:54am
Wow!! I'm 27 and was worried about telling my mum. thought she'd say I was too young!!!! For us, i feel now it was the right time, but at the time I felt we were too young. I thing just because our lifestyle was young, working, travelling, drinking, that kinda thing. Now it's park, travelling, changing nappies, baking!!!
tafs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 8:54am
Gee, I am 30 and we are trying for our first, I guess that makes me quite old to be a first time parent?!
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:27am
It all depends on the individual I think. I was never the party type of a girl and I thought I did my share of traveling, parties and fun....
My hubby on the other hand was not ready to be a dad till end of last year when he said "we should start a family now huh?" (He will be 29 soon)

Mum had me when she was 19 and she will be a grandma at 47...she is very happy about that!

I always wanted to be a young mum....but plans changed along the way.

newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 10:51am
No way tafs! Not an old mum, and does it really matter anyway? As long as our children are well looked after and loved!? I know heaps of my friends that had babies at 16, now they are all around 8 y.o and that is cool but I am so glad I had my time to go to uni, party and stuff and I feel READY now to be a mum. (well, sometimes... )

Donna.I View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna.I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 10:53am

At the young age of 37 I became a grandmother. My son then 16 feared telling me, worried of the response. It was a shock admittedly, but then I thought about it more, and when my grandson arrived I was down to the hospital ASAP. I love being a grandmother, even though my son is not with his partner anymore, she has become an adopted daughter to me. Sadly she and my grandson Camron are living in Christchurch, me Invercargill. I miss them heaps.

My family have disowned me, because I left my abusive marriage, then went on to have an illigetimate child. I decided a long time ago, that I would not judge my children for their decisions, for their mistakes, but take them on in life. I know we grow from our lifes experiences, they are not the end of the world as some may proclaim.

Peace :o)
Donna
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become."
Donna Ingram
Co-ordinator Gastric Reflux Aide
info@gastricreflux.org
www.gastricreflux.org
tafs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 11:00am

Thanx Newmum :D

I feel that I have reached (finally) a really good point in my life, I have travelled and worked overseas I have accomplished more than I hoped in my career and now I am ready for this wonderful new journey to begin.  Both my husband and I feel that we are both at the right point to embark on starting a family now that doesnt revolve around our cats!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 11:36am
Donna, thank you for sharing. I agree totally - I will never judge my daughter for the mistakes she makes in the way my parents judged me (and still do). When I got pregnant with Maya I told my Mum straight away, but I never told my Dad till I was 5 1/2 mths (they live in Australia). The night after he took my brothers to the local pub and cried his eyes out and ranted and raved about how I was ruining my life, and making racist comments about Willie and our baby.
Now that Maya is here he loves her to bits, but he is still really anti Willie. I haven;t told him that Willie and I are engaged, and he doesn't know that we are living together (we split up for 18 mths). Last week Dad and I had a big argument and I got to thinking, "I'm 24 years old, I have my own family,my own house, I pay my own bills, what gives him the right to decide what is or isn't right for me".
It's made me so much more determined to support Maya in her decisions, even if they aren't the right ones.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 7:01pm
We are much the same. Having 2 daughters, i think the chance in creases of maybe being a grandmother at an early age. all we can do as mothers is do the best we can, give then someone to talk to and the right information to make their own choices. but still, even then, these things happen. and no matter what, we would be there for our girls.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:34pm
I'm a young Mum, though not on purpose!
I'm not giving up anything though, I figure Hannah will be the perfect buddy to have on my OE. Kids adjust to any situation they are put in.
I'd like to have somewhere stable by the time Hannah is starting school though. I remember my school days and loved the feeling of belonging, and knowing people throughout my childhood is so cool. I'm still friends with a lot of my primary school buddies!
I like the idea of being 40 when Hannah is 21, but then I'll probably ruin my freedom by having another kidlet. We'll see.

I love being a young mum!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 1:06am
hey nikki. jake is a great wee traveller, hannah will be fine!
cbksmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbksmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 8:46pm
I'm going to jump in late here.... I'm 27, hubby is 32 and our little boy will be one on Monday!! (wow- can't believe how fast the last year has gone). I know that in some people's eyes I was young to be getting married at 23 and having baby now, but it's right for us. We've chosen to have a family now, buy a house & build our business - will leave the travelling etc for later in life when we can enjoy it together
There is quite a 10-year age range in our coffee group, with me being the youngest, but I don't think you really notice.
chontelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chontelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 3:00pm
im 20 gona be 21 in sept
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>