FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFussiest Eaters Ever!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fussiest Eaters Ever!
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:05pm
I know there have been several threads on this before - I've read them all!

My twins are almost 23 months and since they turned 1 have steadily reduced the number of things they will eat (prior to that they ate EVERYTHING I offered them except potatoe).

To give you an idea of how fussy they are, here's what they will eat:

Fruit (most kinds including raisins/craisins)
Crackers (most kinds including cruskits)
Small amounts of bread
Chips, potato stixs, corn tubes
Porridge
Cheese
Yoghurt (although they are starting to refuse this)
Sausages
Chicken Nuggets
They will occasionally eat a biscuit, beef flavoured rice risotto, ham, salami, popcorn, frozen peas.

They've been on 1 bottle for a long time but are starting to refuse that now too.

I've been giving them sachets of pureed vege/fruit (i.e pea, pear & brocolli and apple, carrot & parsnip) just to get some vege into them but they are now refusing that too and I suspect it has lead to terrible constipation.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get them to eat better? They just never seem hungry, they weren't particularly hungry babies and it's just gotten worse.

They won't eat anything mashed or minced, muffins, pasta, things with sauces so I can't hide any good stuff in anything.

It's sooooo stressful
Sponsored Links

MammieB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MammieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:18pm
Sorry cant help - just wanted to say in the same boat

My DD doesn't even eat meat! But I try to get her to eat fruit and dairy and just hope she grows out of it. (I do give her some multi-vitamins a few times a week)

As long as you do what you can you are doing a great job!

Good luck

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:52am
I was fussier than that as a kid, remove the sausages, chicken nuggets and porridge from your list and that was me for many years.. from what I remember from being really little if mum had just given me options and left me to it rather than hovering and stressing and trying to make me eat stuff I would have been far better with trying new things.

Have you tried making food fun.. like we got my oldest in love with carrots by cutting them into shapes that he liked
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:51am
If they are constipated the chances are they are refusing to eat cause their bowels aren't clearing??

Maybe talk to the GP about getting some stuff for it, the name escapes me at the moment.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:12am
Thanks for the replies ladies.

MammieB - do you make her the same food as the rest of the family? I'm worried half the prob is cos me & DH don't eat with them but DH gets home too late.

kebakat - thanks for that advice. I have left them to it for the last few months cos it's less stressful for me. They eat less though than when I do hover. I have the most succes when they are distracted so tend to poke their lunch into their mouths while they are playing or we are reading books etc.
I did have some success with teddy shaped sandwiches a few weeks ago so will try and get more creative.

AandCsmum - the constipation just happened in the last 10 days which ties in with refusing the sachets of vege. Have been to the Dr and things are starting to move now, but no improvement on the eating.

Edited by Danda08
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:54pm
i think you need to make the effort to sit and eat with them. maybe give them a sharing plate - maybe you could all share the same plate... even if it is a plate of fruit and cheese for lunch. sit together and chat and play - maybe read them a story.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:11pm
DD loves anything off my plate, we sit and eat together as a family she has the same as us, I serve hers first to allow it to cool.

If all else fails she will eat Watties Little Kids I give her one of those and a yoghurt for tea.

I was told Fruit has all the same nutrients as vege plus extra sugar, if they're having all their colours in fruit they won't be missing out nutritionally.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:56pm
Last weekend I made dinner for all of us and it was a disaster.
Tried again tonight with much better success - well in comparison to last week and with one twin. So will make eating together on weekends the plan.

I usually eat my lunch with them but we have seperate plates, and often read stories. Will try the shared plate idea, thanks Bizzy.

Unfortunately they won't eat those Little Kids tins. But good/reassuring to know re the fruit nutrition caliandjack.

Edited by Danda08
Hibiscus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hibiscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 11:19am
Danda, my friend is doing homecare for a bunch of toddlers. She has one kid who is the fussiest ever with her parents but will eat anything at daycare. They all sit together at a child size table, each with their own plate. They all eat the same food that is being served. I think they have a plate full of cut up fruit/ vege/ crackers or other in the center of the table and the kids help themselves. They are now 3 years old but have been together in daycare from one year old. The fussy eater who joined the group fairly late ( I think she was 2.5 year old) just copies the behaviour of the other kids in the group.
Mum to 3 girls: identical twins and with a 3 year gap another girl.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:48pm
DD's eating habits vastly improved when she started going to Playcentre and sitting down with the other kids.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
MammieB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MammieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:12pm
Danda08 - no I dont give her the same food, we eat all sorts and even if I try she "I not want it". I've tried the shared plate and sometime (very rarely) she will have a piece of chicken or a small vege, but not enough to "make a difference"

DH gets home at all hours so it is easier to feed her at a specific time and feed us when she is either in bed or completely ready (bath, pj's teeth)

I used to stress about her eating, but she is a happy healthy 2 1/5 year old (her puku is big enough) so as long as she eats something that works for me for now

I will get stricter once she gets a bit older and I can discipline all of us to eat together (when she can go to bed a bit later) - then she will have what we have and if she doesnt want it, she will have not to many other option - but that is still a year or so away in my mind.

Dont stress - they will eat before they starve (thats what my mum says) my little brother wont eat much when he was little, he is now a healthy 6ft 80kg strong trades man

Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 12:29pm
Thanks MammieB . I was just rolling with it to an extent and taking a similar approach to yours about being stricter when they are older but one of my girls is so tiny and I had a couple of comments made about how they should be eating what we eat now (which was already preying on my mind) so it made me stress about it again.

I get almost the same response to new food that your DD gives "I no like it"

Really appreciate everyone's responses
 Post Reply Post Reply