FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCopper IUD & weight gain???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copper IUD & weight gain???
    Posted: 03 April 2012 at 10:52am
Hey ladies,

I am just wondering if anyone with a copper iud has experienced any issues.

I have experienced weight gain in the last 3 years, to the tune of about 10kgs a year. While I am far from perfect all of the time, during most of the last 3 years I have been actively trying to lose weight. I have exercised, and counted calories and if I manage a loss it is usually only very tiny. My body has a mind of it's own...

So last night I googled weight gain after having kids, and ended up coming across this forum:

Link

I had never ever thought the IUD would have anything to do with my weight gain, however I was thinking about getting it removed anyway due to having some other not to nice problems with it... so will be interesting to see if I experience any changes after removal as some of those women have...

And it does make sense... as I only started gaining all of this weight after having it put in.
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 7:33am

Interesting reading, I never had a cooper IUD due to the risk of heavier bleeding and I already had that.

I had a mirena in for almost 3 year and gained almost 15kgs and no amount of exercise or diet could shift it. I ended up having it removed (along with everything else in there) due to other issues I was having.

Random question but how are your ovaries? There is a link between PCOS and weight gain and a struggle to lose weight. My gyne things that my ovaries could be stopping me lose the weight now due to the resistance they have and may have to go on a insulin resistance diet to control my weight (like a type 2 diabetic) rather than take them out as well due to instant menopause and he doesn't want me to go through that at the age of 30.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:43am
I think my ovaries are ok - have had two kids and didn't have any issues with getting pregnant etc..

I do think I need to see a doctor though... I NEED to lose weight!! And I will be getting my IUD taken out. My uterus always feels hard IYKWIM? Like my tummy is sticking out but it is hard as if I were pregnant but I am 100% not.

Anyhoo I don't want to blame the IUD especially as the copper IUD is non hormonal unlike Mirena - just thought might be interesting to see if anyone else was in the same boat.

Tissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:50am
I have a Mirena, and a anteflexed uterus (tilts to far forwards so sits over my bladder basically and means that i feel every cramp badly and waistbands dig in and amplify it all majorly).

I am thinking I am going to get referred back to the OBGYN that put it in as I want it out. I was planning on getting it out later in the year to TTC but its getting to the point where its interferring with relationship stuff so may be better to come out sooner.
I cant umm do bedroom stuff, without pain from the outside if i have pressure on my stomach and what feels like my cervix being rammed into my ovaries (which i know its not
Tissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:51am
and yea i got weight gain but I wasnt able to lift anything above 5kg for 12 weeks after the surgery.

and now weight is coming off but i really have to watch what I eat.

and my uterus feels hard too, but Its becuase its extra tilted forward its pretty obvious that its sticking out the front
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 8:02am
I have gained about 5kg on an IUD and can't shift it (never had the problem of not being able to lose weight if I tried hard enough). I am getting mine out next week hopefully as I'm sick of mood swings etc.

mummy_becks, did the weight start coming off after the Mirena was removed? Or was it not a magic fix?
Adina269430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adina269430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 5:24pm
I put on 7kg on an IUD and honestly the only thing that really helped was power yoga in combination with a new diet.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose weight (even on an IUD).

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply