FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour choice of brands!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your choice of brands!
    Posted: 20 February 2012 at 3:39pm
Being new to the country I'm new to who is good and who isn't in relation to baby goodies!

English mummies will know what I'm talking about when I say this...back at home we used:
- Simple wet wipes (which I can't get here);
- Pampers nappies (which I can't get here);
- Dentinox shampoo for cradle cap - she used it from birth and it did wonders for her scalp (which I can't get here);
- Simple body/bath wash(which I can't get here); and
- Aptamil formula (which is called Karicare here).

We started using the Treasures nappies but moved on to Huggies. I found the Huggies fitted a bit better overnight but during the day I can't tell the difference. What do you use/recommend?

We've also use the Huggies wet wipes. The first wipes we got were Little Genie but I hated the smell so moved on to Huggies (same time as the nappies!). We got the Aveeno shampoo which seems to be agreeing with her and I even used it myself this weekend and like it!

Is anyone else in a similar situation where you've moved and needed to find new brands and what did you use?
Sponsored Links

MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:38pm
Welcome to NZ!

I use Homebrand nappies during the day and Huggies at night, however you can get Pampers here Pampers Nappies they aren't cheap though!

If only I could have brought a Boots, a Tesco and a Marks & Spencer with me when we moved to NZ, I spend far too much at Bramptins to get my chocolate fixes

P&E'S Mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&E'S Mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:44pm
You can get pampers nappies here, I have brought them from our local paknsave supermarket.

PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:59pm
Thanks MrsEmma!

Blimey...they are expensive aren't they! Perhaps I'll stick with Huggies...

I didn't take a kiwi friend seriously enough back home when she told me to pack EVERYTHING plus enough to last a year following our arrival. I wish I'd bought my own facecream too...I went to Farmers (I can't find it anywhere else) this weekend and found out that it costs $114 here...I'm obviously not buying it anymore! The thing that I miss most is sugar free squash... I miss the supermarkets back home too....but I WILL ADJUST and I have to keep telling myself that!

Thanks again for the response.
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by PeytonsMum PeytonsMum wrote:

You can get pampers nappies here, I have brought them from our local paknsave supermarket.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked everywhere for them in Wellington and couldn't find them... I'll defo keep an eye out for them in P'n'S now though.
kernowexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernowexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:32pm
Hi UK2NZMummy - yes bring everything!!! That was what we did, right down to the dustbin - silly I know.
My sister arrives next week with a Boots-style care package of shampoo, deodorant etc & also M&S underwear - hurrah!

I've seen some Simple stuff in the Warehouse, and the facecream you saw in Farmers, you might be able to get in the Warehouse too.

Sugar free squash - you can get sugar free cordial stuff (I buy Pams lemon flavour), and in our New World you can get sugar-free Robinsons - but only in the smaller bottles.

Welcome to NZ!!
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by kernowexile kernowexile wrote:

Hi UK2NZMummy - yes bring everything!!! That was what we did, right down to the dustbin - silly I know.
My sister arrives next week with a Boots-style care package of shampoo, deodorant etc & also M&S underwear - hurrah!

I've seen some Simple stuff in the Warehouse, and the facecream you saw in Farmers, you might be able to get in the Warehouse too.

Sugar free squash - you can get sugar free cordial stuff (I buy Pams lemon flavour), and in our New World you can get sugar-free Robinsons - but only in the smaller bottles.

Welcome to NZ!!

Thank you! Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! I wish that i'd stashed a supply of Robinsons in with our things - that's what I'm missing most...no added sugar lemon! I've been getting Thrifty and I pay a visit to Pak 'n' Save, Countdown, New World and Warehouse weekly to check for anything familiar but nothing has popped up yet. The Simple stuff that I've seen is only the adult supplies. Unfortunately baby stuff hasn't made it over here.

Having said that I'm missing all this stuff, I still wouldn't change anything, I'm just adjusting to new things - that's not saying that I wouldn't buy it if I saw it though!!! I'm wondering how to slip in to the conversation later that I'm going to order pampers to be delivered!
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 6:21pm
Just putting it ou there (sit down before you click on the link, you may just faint at the prices!! Bramptins Cordial there's no lemon but they may get it in later!

PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by MrsEmma MrsEmma wrote:

Just putting it ou there (sit down before you click on the link, you may just faint at the prices!! Bramptins Cordial there's no lemon but they may get it in later!

You are wonderful! I'm putting it on my care package list...I think it'll be cheaper to pay for the postage and wait for a slow boat to deliver...still good to know I've got a back up for bad days though!!!

We'll be trying for a baby soon (yikes!) and I think I'll need a bulk load to last me the 9 months...it was what got me through the first time.
pumpkino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 6:50pm
I had the exact same experience as you when we moved here when DS was six months old. I am a NZer but having been in the UK for the previous few years had absolutely no idea about baby products/brands and it was a period of trial and error for sure!

I used Pampers in the UK and find Huggies to be the best here. Huggies also do fragrance/alcohol free wipes (in the green packets) which I use. Dentinox cradle cap shampoo - haven't needed it since we got back but DS2 is due next week and I will be gutted if I need dentinox and can't get it!! Let me know if you find anything comparable?

DS1 was EBF while we were int he UK but every now and then we used SMA Gold formula for top ups or if someone else had to feed him. When we switched to formula here I tried all the brands and ended up using Karicare Gold.

We use Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo as a combination shampoo and bodywash. It's really gentle.

The thing I still haven't quite gotten used to (to my satisfaction at least) is laundry powder. We don't have the bio/non-bio distinction here (it's hot water vs cold) and I find that nothing gets poo stains out quite like a hot wash with bio did! Also for non-poo washes in the UK I used a really lovely gentle washing powder designed for babies (I think it was called Filetti) but haven't found anything like that here.

I too really regret not shipping more stuff home - even when you can get the same products here they are sooo much more expensive. Especially baby clothes! Fortunately (or unfortunately from the spending point of view) Marks & Spencer, Mothercare and Next all deliver to NZ. Next in particular has a NZ website which has free delivery. There was a thread about it recently with info re import duty and GST which you need to be aware of - I'll see if I can find it for you.
pumpkino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 7:00pm
Here it is:

http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41155

I got big deliveries from all three recently in preparation for No 2's arrival! All arrived quickly and no hassles. The only tricky bit was controlling my spending...
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:21pm
For disposables I used whatever is cheapest, have a look in nappies for less, they do cheaper bulk nappies and alot are just generic brand american ones.

Wipes I've used all of them, but since we use them mainly for hands and face when out I buy whatever is cheapest.

For cradle cap use the good old oil wait and then comb/wash out in the bath. Another thing that I have done is a very small amount of t-gel neutrogena shampoo and it got rid of it only used it a very few times.

Body wash I have used mustella which is available at the baby factory, its what we used in birthcare after DD was born and is dermatologically tested. Aveeno is what my bros ex uses for their son who gets bad ezcema.

fairy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by UK2NZMummy UK2NZMummy wrote:

Originally posted by PeytonsMum PeytonsMum wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I've looked everywhere for them in Wellington and couldn't find them... I'll defo keep an eye out for them in P'n'S now though.

I've seen them in the P'n'S in Kilbirnie, not cheap tho.

I use Mustela shampoo for cradle cap and it got rid of it and it has never come back.
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:51pm
I didn't read posts in detail enough to read what face cream you use...but strawberrynet.com website is awesome for getting the good brands and saving a couple of dollars. Free shipping most of the time too. I'd never buy my clinique at the shop now, it's always cheaper online and turns up in my letterbox within a few days of ordering :-)
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:55pm
I have experimented with nappies a bit and will now only use huggies or treasures, huggies are the best, they cost a little more but in my opinion more absorbent, last longer between changes and no night leaks.

With wipes I find that silk wipes are good (get them at Pak N Save or New World) and cheap and don't smell too strongly, or precious wipes (purple pack) have a nice scent that isn't too strong. Pams unscented wipes are also ok.

They have pampers nappies in New World up here, could be worth a look there.

Also in countdown they have a good selection of international products.

Where have you moved to? In Auckland there are some good UK shops
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 10:56pm
Simple products can be bought in New World. We use Simple Shampoo & conditioner on the kids, plus simple soap so I'm sure they've got the body wash?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 9:25am
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.....especially for the knowledge of knowing that Next, Mothercare and M&S deliver to NZ!!!
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 11:18am
There is also a Mothercare in Auckland and I'm sure they would do delivery cheaper

KatieD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:01pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.....especially for the knowledge of knowing that Next, Mothercare and M&S deliver to NZ!!!

Hi UK Mum - where in wellie are you? I am in Porirua.
You can get Bold from the UK shop in Petone ($14 a pop I think), and sometimes the NW in Porirua has Persil GEL TABS

:-) Did you bring your front loader with you? We did, and are the envy of our street hahaha!!
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by KatieD KatieD wrote:

Hi UK Mum - where in wellie are you? I am in Porirua.
You can get Bold from the UK shop in Petone ($14 a pop I think), and sometimes the NW in Porirua has Persil GEL TABS

:-) Did you bring your front loader with you? We did, and are the envy of our street hahaha!!

We're in Wadestown. I'm still trying to work out where places are so will look up Porirua up on the map in a sec!!! We've been getting Surf, which strangely enough we used back home too, but I'm sure we're not saving ourselves any pennies by getting it.

We're still waiting for our things to be delivered (we're currently glamping in our house!) - the container was meant to arrive 3 weeks ago - my guess is at least another 2 weeks. Frustrating but we're surviving. The house we're renting has a top loader, oven and fridge/freezer included but we've sent our own things. One of the first things I'll do is get the washing machine and tumbledryer plugged in! I hate ironing and for some reason this washing machine gives everything creases that even an iron won't get out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>