FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedConfused about starting solids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused about starting solids
    Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:48am
I'm sure there is already a post covering this but I can't seem to find it. My DD is nearly 5 months and we are starting think about starting solids. I am getting a little confused as the info I read is pretty mixed. The main things I don't understand are that I need to start solids if DD is getting hungry ... is one teaspoon of pear really going to make a difference!? Also that her iron levels will be getting low. What iron rich foods can I start her on as I have been told to introduce all the fruit and vege first, one every 3-5 days so it's going to be ages before she has meat!?! She also can't sit up yet so how do I put her in the highchair?

Any tips or advice on starting solids would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:20am
Have you got the starting solids booklet from Plunket?
If your daughter is getting hungry then you would offer her more milk feeds at this age.

There is no rush to starting solids - start when she's ready this may mean now or much later - does she show any interest in what you are eating?

Are you breast feeding her? If you are she'll be getting all the iron that she needs from your milk.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:56am
Yep it totally is confusing- bm definatly has more iron that is readily absorbed than fuit and veges!
Totally agree with caliandjack about offering her milk if she hungry.
Being able to sit upaided is a good guage as to baby's body's readiness for solids- we dont eat lying down, so her digestive system will be mature enough to handle food once she can sit up and get the food into her mouth herself!
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 3:14pm
Thanks ... DD is fully BF at the moment and isn't showing any signs of still being hungry. She is starting to watch us eat though so don't think it will be long.
What are peoples opinion on rice cereal? I am not keen to give DD processed foods, I have also been told to avoid it by some people but others say it's a must for bub to get the iron she needs ...
And when do I give solids? Before a feed? Straigh after a feed? A little while after a feed?
Agh so many questions!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 4:28pm
Jacob wasn't ready to start solids till he was older than six months. He just didn't show interest or look hungry, so I figured there was no need to hurry him. She'll get everything she needs from breastmilk for now.

Plenty of babies grow up without rice cereal, so don't use it if you'd rather not!! Jacob ate it, but I don't think he would have turned out any different if he hadn't.

They sugggest starting solids after a feed, so they're still filling up on milk, which is the most important at this point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 5:18pm
I was told to avoid baby rice and never gave it to DD. We started with single fruits and vege. Was told by a naturopath that it causes all sorts of problems with constipation etc

Have you had your 5 month health check from Plunket? That includes a discussion about solids what to start when.

Or if you are interested in baby led weaning BLW read Gill Rapley's book you can get it from the library

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 5:36pm
Food is for fune, before they are 1 - good thing to keep in mind so u dont start to stress that they arent having enough solids- its all about learning the skills of eating and experiencing with textures, tastes etc.

I fed #1 solids int he "usual" way starting with baby rice, homemade puress etc,...and did BLW with #2. I would totally recommend looking into it- takes so much of the stress and planning out of feeding baby,..they eat the ammount they want by themselves at your meal times with you, the same food u are eating, and continue to be bf as normal.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 6:38pm
You baby will accept solids only after her extrusion reflux is gone. So if you want to test her put a spoon or food to her tongue, if she pokes out her tongue she's not ready. If she opens her mouth then go for it.

Have you had your latest plunket check? Ask them about food, or go into the family centre & get all their pamphlets.

But basically you can puree anything up and give it to them. You don't have to start with rice but do start with only one mix & slowly introduce a new food only about once every 4-5 days I think it is, just in case there is a reaction to a food.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 6:48pm
And, um... we started with kumera and I don't recommend it! Cue one constipated baby and no poo for a looooong time.

BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 7:38am
Thanks ladies all really helpful info! We have our 5 month check on Wednesday so I will go armed with lots of questions and ask for the booklet. Nice to know someone else didn't start with baby rice, my bub wont be the only one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 10:03am
Do you have the Thriving under 5 book from Plunket there is a pull out chart in there which gives you a rough guide its from watties so very slanted towards jarred food.

If you are looking for a great book I highly recommend the River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook it covers both BLW and purees and what to give when and everything you need to know about starting solids through to feeding toddlers. I it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:45am
Oh I like River Cottage ... I'll see if I can get it from the library. Thanks for that!
 Post Reply Post Reply