FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedexclusively breasfeed baby dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exclusively breasfeed baby dies
    Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:33am
Two strict vegans have gone on trial in France charged with "neglect or food deprivation" after the death of their breastfed 11-month-old daughter who was found to be suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou called an ambulance to their home in the village of Saint-Maulvis – 90 miles north of Paris – in March 2008 after their daughter Louise became listless. By the time paramedics arrived, the baby had died.

The police were alerted after the ambulance crew noticed the baby was pale and thin and a doctor refused to issue a death certificate. A postmortem showed the child, who had been fed only on her 37-year-old mother's milk, weighed 5.7kg when she should have been about 8kg.

She was also suffering from deficiency of vitamins A and B12, which may have left her susceptible to infection. She died of a pneumonia-related illness.

Medical experts told the court in Amiens that the vitamin deficiency could have been caused by an unbalanced diet. While anxious not to call into question the couple's lifestyle, Anne-Laure Sandretto, the deputy prosecutor, admitted: "The problem with a vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's eating habits."

The parents, who also have a 13-year-old daughter who was not found to be suffering from any deficiencies, said they became vegan after seeing a TV programme about "how animals were taken to abattoirs", said the mother's lawyer, Stephane Daquo.

At the time of their daughter's death, they were running an organic food business and refused to eat any animal products. Daquo said they had a mistrust of traditional medicine and preferred to treat their children's complaints with advice from books.

"The couple did not follow the doctor's advice to take the baby to hospital when they went for her nine-month checkup and found she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight," he said. Instead they treated her with cabbage poultices, mustard and camphor and washed her with earth and clay instead of giving her baths, the court heard.

Daquo said the couple had been reading "the wrong things at the wrong moment". "They preferred to use recipes [treatment] based on clay or cabbage poultices that they got from their books," he said.

Patrick Quenel, lawyer for the father, whose business has gone into liquidation, said the couple were "completely aware of the mistakes they made".

They have been charged with "neglect or food deprivation followed by death" and face a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison if convicted. The hearing is expected to last until Friday.

[URL=Two strict vegans have gone on trial in France charged with "neglect or food deprivation" after the death of their breastfed 11-month-old daughter who was found to be suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou called an ambulance to their home in the village of Saint-Maulvis – 90 miles north of Paris – in March 2008 after their daughter Louise became listless. By the time paramedics arrived, the baby had died.

The police were alerted after the ambulance crew noticed the baby was pale and thin and a doctor refused to issue a death certificate. A postmortem showed the child, who had been fed only on her 37-year-old mother's milk, weighed 5.7kg when she should have been about 8kg.

She was also suffering from deficiency of vitamins A and B12, which may have left her susceptible to infection. She died of a pneumonia-related illness.

Medical experts told the court in Amiens that the vitamin deficiency could have been caused by an unbalanced diet. While anxious not to call into question the couple's lifestyle, Anne-Laure Sandretto, the deputy prosecutor, admitted: "The problem with a vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's eating habits."

The parents, who also have a 13-year-old daughter who was not found to be suffering from any deficiencies, said they became vegan after seeing a TV programme about "how animals were taken to abattoirs", said the mother's lawyer, Stephane Daquo.

At the time of their daughter's death, they were running an organic food business and refused to eat any animal products. Daquo said they had a mistrust of traditional medicine and preferred to treat their children's complaints with advice from books.

"The couple did not follow the doctor's advice to take the baby to hospital when they went for her nine-month checkup and found she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight," he said. Instead they treated her with cabbage poultices, mustard and camphor and washed her with earth and clay instead of giving her baths, the court heard.

Daquo said the couple had been reading "the wrong things at the wrong moment". "They preferred to use recipes [treatment] based on clay or cabbage poultices that they got from their books," he said.

Patrick Quenel, lawyer for the father, whose business has gone into liquidation, said the couple were "completely aware of the mistakes they made".

They have been charged with "neglect or food deprivation followed by death" and face a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison if convicted. The hearing is expected to last until Friday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/29/vegans-trial-death-baby-breast-milk

Edited by bowie
Sponsored Links

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:35am
Not posting to stir up fear towards extended exclusive breastfeeding or anything (i'm all for it) - i just was interested.

A little alarmed that their 11month old weighed the same as DS when he was 5 weeks and they didnt see that as a problem.
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:51am
So the poor thing wasn't eating any solids?? Just BM? Poor poor baby
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:52am
Very interesting and so sad!
Does bring up the importance of ensuring you have a good diet when BF - the only time when you truly are eating for two!!

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 10:30am
Gosh you wonder how some people are still functioning themselves without having to care for a child as well. In France they have the lowest BF rate of all OECD countries, it is very rare for mums to continue BF after leaving the hospital from giving birth! This will just be used to show that BF is "bad" for babies. *sigh.

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 10:35am
I don't doubt you probably could exclusively BF a baby that age but you'd have to be so onto it with your own nutritian.

As for the french - i have several french friends and they all have really odd views on pregnancy/childbirth. One told me the OB recommended weight gain was 5 - 8kg for her pregnancy. She is already very very slim. Not saying all french are mad, of course, just the ones i know!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 11:25am
Here ya go, I found the artice I read. Read some of the stupid comments at the bottom. Link

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 11:28am
It definitely can be done but you have to make sure you are eating correctly. My dd went on a month long food strike (solids) from 10-11mo and just had breastmilk that entire time and she still gained weight correctly (managed to continue staying 97th%ile weight and 90th%ile height). Your supply can drop and change so quickly without an important diet and for this couple I think it looks like a case of they were too focused on their lifestyle and what they thought was 'right'. So sad. And the weight should have been a give-away but some babies simply don't follow the charts at all!
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 11:58am
I think this is a problem with the parents not BFing.

It was quite common back in the days to offer nothing but breastmilk until that age. I guess so long as you have normal diet which most people do all would have been fine.

I always offered solids to DD from 6 months but she never really started eating until 8 months. She was bf only.
mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 11:58am
Originally posted by bowie bowie wrote:

Wait, WHAAAAAT. This is the worst thing.

My child has bronchitis - I KNOW, I'm gonna rub dirt on her!

Very sad for that poor child.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 12:42pm
"Everyone, however, knows the dangers of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding destroys lives. It starts by robbing women of their most powerful weapons of seduction, then their style and then their feminine mystery. Before you know it your baby is sleeping in your bed, and you are carrying her around like an African villager and avoiding so many proper French foods that you may as well be doing Ramadan. Lovemaking and une vraie vie de couple becomes impossible, sending husbands running into the arms of their mistresses or gay colleagues who they can be sure will never turn into brooding sucklers." (quoted from Athaelias link can't make the quote box work)

I lol'd, seriously.

ETA: this comment wins!

"Penises......not for urinating out of, but actually playthings for wives!"

Edited by bowie
mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 1:52pm
Yes, breastfeeding causes previously straight men to become gay.

I hope it's just an elaborate troll, otherwise there are some seriously dopey people out there.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 2:00pm

"Everyone, however, knows the dangers of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding destroys lives. It starts by robbing women of their most powerful weapons of seduction, then their style and then their feminine mystery. Before you know it your baby is sleeping in your bed, and you are carrying her around like an African villager and avoiding so many proper French foods that you may as well be doing Ramadan. Lovemaking and une vraie vie de couple becomes impossible, sending husbands running into the arms of their mistresses or gay colleagues who they can be sure will never turn into brooding sucklers." (quoted from Athaelias link can't make the quote box work)

I lol'd, seriously.

Lol i know its hilarious ay! I was cracking up laughing reading it.

JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 3:46pm
I read recently that back in the 1920s (I think), NZ Plunket didn't recommend introducing solids til 10 months. Large numbers of infants were found to have rickets and bone issues directly related to the lack of vitamins and nutrients in solids and Plunket changed its guidelines.

So not surprisingly, the baby in the article was ill but it was more than the 'exclusively breastfed' part that contributed to baby's death.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:53pm
After my sister's horrific food allergies, my mum exclusively BF her next 3 kids until around 11 months so they would be a bit more resiliant by the time solids were introduced in case they had similar reactions (only one of them did). But they were all in the upper percentiles for weight and certainly not undernourished. I don't think my mum did anything particularly special with her diet, but I guess we ate pretty healthy as a family.

So it can be done, but you'd certainly want to reconsider if the baby was getting sick and losing weight!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 9:16pm

I lol'd, seriously.

HAHAHA. They were being sarcastic... right? Right??!

Poor kiddly. Sounds like a case of shocking parenting skills.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 11:12pm
I don't think it shows that extended exclusive BF is bad for the baby - but extended exclusive BF when you don't maintain the correct nutrition can be harmful, especially when combined with a lack of medical care (through the parents actions).
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 7:18am
T_Rex I'm guessing your Mum wasn't on a strict vegan diet and would have taken you and your siblings to the Dr if you weren't well.

No harm in delaying solids if you are eating a nutritious balanced diet yourself with plenty of protein and good fats ie: from nuts, avocados etc

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2011 at 11:29pm
idiots!!!!!!
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 10:31am

Originally posted by minik8e minik8e wrote:

I don't think it shows that extended exclusive BF is bad for the baby - but extended exclusive BF when you don't maintain the correct nutrition can be harmful, especially when combined with a lack of medical care (through the parents actions).
  Totally aggree

Extented EBF can be very harmful to babies and not just by all the third world deficiency diseases they can also suffer with growth and development issues. If the body doesnt have enough of anything to grow then the brain certainly cant grow leading to developmental delays.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>