FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedlabour promises increase for children!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: labour promises increase for children!
    Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:23am
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10700342

sounds good to me! National are crap for anyone who earns under $90k

Edited by Raspberryjam
http://lilypie.com]
Sponsored Links

Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 12:10pm
if they change the NZ rules it would be awesome.

I do think that the 'baby bonus' definately needs to be increased in NZ, $1200 is crap considering you cant get it till after birth and you need it before then if you arent working during pregnancy how are you supposed to afford the pram/cot/carseat etc
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:13pm
It's still no where near enough, and is totally crap compared to what you get in Europe.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:01pm
Yeah but alot of european countries are in the crap with their country finances big time
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Mucky_Tiger Mucky_Tiger wrote:

I do think that the 'baby bonus' definately needs to be increased in NZ, $1200 is crap considering you cant get it till after birth and you need it before then if you arent working during pregnancy how are you supposed to afford the pram/cot/carseat etc

You afford them through paying for them with your own money which you have budgeted for prior to getting pregnant! It bugs me that people think they are entitled to hand outs just because they have a baby.

If you can't afford them, don't have them!
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:44pm
My only wish is that there wasnt a maximum limit - i'd like to be getting the same amount weekly as i did while working. I'm not a particularly skilled or high payed worker and i'm still down a couple hundred a week. For people who are highly skilled and highly paid then the bite is worse. However i get that if that was the case then the cost would probably have to be offset by offering less paid leave or with higher taxes or something else less then ideal.

I agree that some of the european countries have amazing parental care packages, but not sure how NZ could hope to rival that.
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 3:53pm
I will deffinetly be voting Labour they are more about families

Little Red - I thought your comment was a bit harsh, not everyone plans babies!!

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:16pm
The idea sounds much better, i probably wont be working enough by the time we have our next one so anything we get would be great.

Little_red- I though it was a bit harsh too, lots of people fall pregnant accidentally, and many dont have much money saved. I know that I underestimated how much DD was going to cost, but we are managing, hand outs or not.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:24pm

if they change the NZ rules it would be awesome.

AND only if your partner is working, if on ACC you don't get it!

Marisa what do you get in Europe?
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:50pm
hereis the wiki run down - Denmark pays 100% of wages for a year, two weeks must be taken by the father which is pretty ace i reckon!

I have an accident pregnancy here, no idea how i'm affording it considering i had no savings and was blowing through my paycheck each week on partying and expensive shoes. I used to joke i was able to pay for the baby solely by quitting smoking and drinking but in reality i havent brought anything thats not directly related to the baby in the last 8 months, except a couple of bigger maternity clothes/bras for me.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:54pm
In England it has gone up to 9 months and you don't just get the government bit, most if not all companies offer entitlements over and above, normally tied into you having to return to work after your leave. Companies operate this way in general in England, not like here where most only give you the stat gov requirements and nothing above. Things like better sick pay, holiday leave, maternity pay etc are all built into your employment package. Where I use to work my contract allowed for six months sick leave at full pay and then another 6 after that at 80% pay and they offered 12 months maternity leave, paid, I think 4 months at full pay and then going down after that.
England was always one of the worse in Europe, of course since moving here I realise they are all just bitching about nothing...lol

The min wage really gets me, I earn more than the max entitlement and I only work three days, it's grossly unfair to those of us who are in highly skilled jobs because it almost forces you to return to work earlier. I'm lucky that we can afford to live on one wage, but I remember with S worrying how we would survive and saving money to top up the PPL payment because it didn't even come close to replacing my wage.

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Little_Red Little_Red wrote:

You afford them through paying for them with your own money which you have budgeted for prior to getting pregnant! It bugs me that people think they are entitled to hand outs just because they have a baby.

If you can't afford them, don't have them!

I agree a little, cots prams etc should be planned - even those who have surprise babies have 9 months to work on it, and some people just expect handouts. But yes it is soo easy to underestimate how much the cost of these little ones
We arent broke, but I expected to be able to go back to work - and then I had a heart child and now I feel my time is best spent with her , so a little bit more would be nice - gets tough sometimes and I like my babes to have beautiful things

I think the baby bonus is a good idea - even if they dont raise all the other stuff
and really the government should be focusing on creating better families, communites, and contribute to raising happy healthy children, and supporting Mums or dads to stay at home if they choose to, its hard work when you have no choice but to go back to work

Edited by Raspberryjam
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by bowie bowie wrote:

hereis the wiki run down - Denmark pays 100% of wages for a year, two weeks must be taken by the father which is pretty ace i reckon!

Denmark is really good for paying for almost everything but have you seen the tax rate there? People seem to forget that the money has to come from somewhere and everyone always complains when they raise taxes!

ETA: I also think increasing the time allowed off would be detrimental to women...how much discrimination would happen if you had to keep a job open for two years for a employee to be coming back....

Not that I am against staying at home since I am a SAHM! I just think you have to balance the needs to everyone NOT just mothers.

Edited by Nutella

Oct 11
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 6:00pm
Oh, i agree actually - i mean, i think its amazing that Denmark offers an awesome package like that but they're a whole different nation and culture to NZ and im not sure it would cross over.

And it would be easy to say that the govt will pay say, $500 a week for PPL and the employer must make up the shortfall so we get our normal weekly wage - but then employers would not want to hire woman for fear they would get pregnant. Which puts us back in the 50s!

I was more talking ideal then practical. But hey, dreams at least are free...
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 6:26pm
Yeah, I agree, I think it is great that things like healthcare are free..at least people who need to see a Dr can afford it....but imagine the outrage in NZ if tax increased to the same levels lol!

I wouldn't mind paying more tax if it meant that sick kids got seen and people who take their sick old selfs to work would stay home and keep their bugs to themselves haha!

But we are sure luckier than some countries where you don't get any leave, might even be lucky to come back to a job.....

Oct 11
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:13pm
Little Red I think your comment was harsh too.

DD was unplanned, wouldn't trade her for the world we were both working full time earning good money but had debts to pay from when I wasn't earning good money and DP was supporting me. Then I got made redundant from fulltime work at 3mths and despite trying as hard as I could I couldn't get work! I by no means bought brand new things either DD was dressed in second hand $1reserve bulk lots for the first 4mths aside from things we were given at babyshower or when she was born. Or else it was $5 stuff from farmers sales.

So yes ideally you plan and save to make your purchases BUT things are unpredictable and things change that are beyond your control.

I do think NZ needs to update their maternity packages etc I do like that its available to either the mum or dad. TBH if I earnt more then DP he would have been the stay at home, but I earnt way less so made sense. He had more of a career then I did

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:33pm
Bowie I think you might have misunderstood it's not enforced in England that companies have to pay you the extra, it's part of the packages they offer to make their employment offer more competitive, like offering more leave days, or a pension scheme etc. and you can negotiate these things as part of your contract, so if they won't budge on the money aspect you can negotiate for more paid leave, or better contributions to your pension, or for them to pay for a training course etc. That, from my employment experience anyway, doesn't seem to be the norm here which I think is a shame, it seems common place for the majority of companies to begrudgidly give you the stat requirements and all negiotiation when at an existing job or new one is centred around $$ not other benefits as well.

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:05am
I agree LR... when I had my oldest (14) we didn't have any maternity leave or WFF... and we weren;t well off but managed to get everything we needed in the 9 months leading up to her birth... I don't think babies really cost that much tbh, it's once they get to teenagers they get damn expensive lol... I don't think it is harsh to expect people to pay for their choices. I think there are too many people that just expect everything to be handed to them. I definitely think these benefits have a place though, and in situations where people have unexpected break-ups or unplanned children with job loses etc I think it is fantastic that we have benefits to support people through these rough times. But, all too often these days we hear and read about people planning children they can't afford, which grates on me big time! It's not fair on the children or those who have to support them...
I agree with Nutella, in that increasing our maternity leave here could be very detrimental to woman in the workforce!
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:24am
conversely though only have such a small amount of maternity leave could be seen as detrimental to families. It's about balance and at the moment I don't think we have it quite right. Some of us are lucky and can afford to choose to stay home, some don't have that choice and for them 14 weeks is all they get which I think is sad.

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 8:00am
Yeah I understand what you're saying, but we do have WFFs after the ML finishes which, for lower income families does provide a pretty decent top-up. We are by no means well off, we don't own a home, we don't have much in the way of savings or assets and we don't have a heap to come and go on... we live on one income so I can stay home with the kids but we do make a lot of sacrifices so I can. To me it seems pretty unfair to tax everyone more to give to those who CHOOSE to have families. It seems so unfair to those people who choose not to have kids and focus on their career, to then have to pay large amounts of tax for others that choose to have kids... I guess it's a tricky balance...
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>