FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreastfeeding debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:27am

Where's Nigel Latta when you need him, I like his view point on breast nazis.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

WTF Why would a source of food nutrition need to be prescribed.

I get pasta, flour and oats on prescription

When FIL was dying he was getting liquid foods (similar to formula I guess) on prescription.

ETA: he's against mums who choose not to breastfeed due to lifestyle choices (for eg mums that don't feed because they want to party) he is not anti-mums who can't BF and he's not anti-formula. 

Edited by MrsMojo
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:36am
I think he ought to try breastfeeding before he comments!
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:37am
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

ETA: he's against mums who choose not to breastfeed due to lifestyle choices (for eg mums that don't feed because they want to party) he is not anti-mums who can't BF and he's not anti-formula. 

thanks for clarifying that! hate it when people think that everyone can and should and it doesnt matter coz mums boobs are made to do that.

yeah i cant get an appointment within 5 days. i would have to book every appointment until DS didnt need it anymore lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:38am

MrsMojo, I would hate it to get to the point of dying before getting formula.
I guess it depends on the lifestyle choice being made. I would love to know just how many mums are not BF so they can party.  I'd imagine it isn't that many.

Sadly the main reason I hear of women stopping bf due to lifestyle factors is cause they're having to go back to work after 14 weeks ppl. To me that's an issue around how much we value mothers and babies.  If 'society' and/or 'govt' recommendations is for BF up to 6 months then regulations and legislation needs to be changed to accommodate it.

My personal view on the bf/forumla debate is simple as long as your baby is getting the nourishment he/she needs, what does it matter how that is achieved.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

Sadly the main reason I hear of women stopping bf due to lifestyle factors is cause they're having to go back to work after 14 weeks ppl. To me that's an issue around how much we value mothers and babies.  If 'society' and/or 'govt' recommendations is for BF up to 6 months then regulations and legislation needs to be changed to accommodate it.

My personal view on the bf/forumla debate is simple as long as your baby is getting the nourishment he/she needs, what does it matter how that is achieved.

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:45am
I was just wondering about the 'lifestyle' choice thing too.  What exactly is that and how many women actually fall in to that category - I certainly don't know any and I know plenty of FF mums.
Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:46am
Which ever person came up with that idea needs a slap across the face with dried up boob. It will never work.

How do they propose you deal with BFing if you have to return to work?
Some people can be completely successful at BFing and find themselves unable to express.
You would have to make it compulsory for companies to have rooms for expressing.

In saying that I do think that people who can not breastfeed despite best effort and the help of a lactation consultant should get formula on prescription at a subsidised price.

Edited by Aprilfools

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:51am
IF this stupid idea were to take place I would imagine that you would get a refillable prescription so you wouldn't be going every week; maybe once every 3 - 6 months most likely. The appointment would be made for your child too as they are the ones that require the formula so the appointment would be free. Moot point though really coz it'll never happen.

Edited by Aprilfools

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:52am

I have actually been very impressed with Michael Laws (I know, it surprised me too).

He is pro-breastfeeding but not a breastfeeding nazi.  He's told people off for suggesting formula is unhealthy and mentioned that all of his children have used formula at one time or another. 

He is also calling for more support for mothers especially in the early days when BFing is being established.

I agree C&J that it is really sad so many people think they have to stop BFing when they go back to work.  I worked fulltime from when DD was 5 months old and still managed to feed her until 15mo (mixed feeding) and DS is still breastfed although I've worked part time since he was 9mo and start fulltime next week.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:53am

Originally posted by Aprilfools Aprilfools wrote:

In saying that I do think that people who can not breastfeed despite best effort and the help of a lactation consultant should get formula on prescription at a subsidised price.

That is a great idea!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:58am

I don't think forumla should be on prescription, in doing that your treating formula as a medicinal product when its a nutritional one.  I have no problem with it being available from the supermarket like any other source of food.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:13pm
You can get iron tablets on prescription, would you class that as nutritional or medicinal?

I'm sure there are a number of nutritional items you can get on prescription. They do it because the subscription provides them the subsidy not for medicinal purposes. They give babies with allergies prescriptions and subsidies for formula so why can they not do that for the baby of someone who is unable to breastfeed?

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:17pm

Gluten free food is also a nutritional product but because I need it for medical reasons I am entitled to get it on prescription, subsidised by the government.  Although TBH I generally choose to buy it from the supermarket because it's easier and the brand choices are far more extensive.  I only bring it up again because the nutritional vs medicinal argument doesn't wash with me

Having said that I think that formula should continue to be readily available in supermarkets but agree that there should be far more support for the mothers that want it and need it and I like the idea of subsidising formula for baby's where the mother cannot breastfeed for medical reasons.

Edited by MrsMojo
Manda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:28pm
Its stupid to think they would put formula on prescription, BF is best yes, but sane mummy is just as important and sometimes formula is needed. If it was on prescription how many mums would just go buy full cows milk as its easier..... that would be worse for under 1's surely!

BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by happymumma happymumma wrote:

I think he ought to try breastfeeding before he comments!

ROFL I'd like to see any man try to BF or give birth. Then we'll see them debating on it. 
Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

Renee & Lauren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee & Lauren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:39pm
April Fools - it is actually LAW that companies provide a room for breastfeeding or expressing BUT some companies just don't have the facility to do that so some people may end up doing it in the bathroom.

Also, my child's appt's are not free. There are not alot of dr surgeries in Wgtn that have free for under 5.

Edited by Renee & Lauren
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:47pm
I get the whole "breast is best" campaign but I really don't understand why we can't accept that some women simply don't want to breastfeed, for whatever reason. It doesn't make them bad mothers or bad people they just don't want to do it (perhaps they can't get past the pain or just really hate the idea of it). At the end of the day, these babies are getting the nutrition and love they need to grow, is that not enough?

Yes bf'ing is the ideal solution but it is not detrimental to the childs health if they are ff.

Edited by clover
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:53pm
Gosh.... what did I start!

I think there needs to be more support out there for BF. Here in Nelson there is only one lactation consultant at the hospital and her hours have recently been cut back to only 8 hours PER WEEK! This is for the whole of the Nelson area. Its no wonder mums that have a hard time and are not getting the support give up and go to formula. I completely understand the logic if someone cannot BF due to medical reasons, but to actually not do it cause they "are busy" is ridiculous. It takes much more time to formula feed than BF, getting the bottles ready, cleaning them etc....

I can see the merits of a prescription being needed, it would mean the mum would have to speak to a health professional first, and they may be able to suggest ways to help with BF. They would have to make it so that you can get a 6 month prescription like the pill, so you dont have to go back all the time.

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Aethalia Aethalia wrote:

I can see the merits of a prescription being needed, it would mean the mum would have to speak to a health professional first, and they may be able to suggest ways to help with BF. They would have to make it so that you can get a 6 month prescription like the pill, so you dont have to go back all the time.

I can also see the merits, it isn't really feasible though. I think Drs visits in Aus are quite expensive compared to here, so that might put people off
I'm not really offended by the idea, and I combined from birth, so I'm not a bfing nazi or anything....
if it was on script then it may be subsidized too, which would be a huge help to a lot of people.

Edited by kellie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>