FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbottle feeding from the beginning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bottle feeding from the beginning
    Posted: 21 September 2010 at 6:41pm
Hi everyone, I am pregnant with my 4th child (a girl) and have made the decision that I am not going to breast feed. I have always tried and it has got worse with each child . I'm just wondering whether you give the baby colostrum, if your milk comes in and what to do?? Any advice would be great

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 6:56pm
If you really don't wanna bf they can give you drugs to stop your milk coming in. They are pretty effective but don't have a 100% success rate. I had them after I had Jared to stop milk production and it worked fine. Theres also the likes of milk stop that you could take. But any expressing or feeding is just gonna encourage your milk.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 7:28pm
if it were me i would be inclined to try and give some colostrum first, there is so much good in that stuff, and it is good for you too... if you have had four kids then you may not have crazy milk supply and be able to stop it easier than if it was your first.

luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 7:44pm
If you can do it (mentally and/or physically) it'd be worth trying to give your baby a few days of colostrum. You should be able to collect it in a syringe then squirt it (slowly) into your babies mouth. Get you midwife to show you how to express for those first few days. You'll only be getting droplets of colostrum really but it's worth it if you can do it. But I'm guessing this will trigger your milk to come in which will make you uncomfortable if you're not going to BF. You could consider expressing a few times a day just for comfort (rather than the 8 or so you'd need to do to keep you milk going) and slowly take less/do it less often. I'm not sure if the drugs they give you stop the colostrum as well. Depends what approach you're taking (no colostrum, express only colostrum, BF only for a few days etc). Try to get your Ob or MW on board with your plans and they can probably give you a few tips.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 9:37pm
I FF both my boys from birth as didn't want to BF. I took the tablet at birth to stop my milk coming in. With both boys I had a tiny bit of leakage and wore disposable pads for the first week.

Its entirely up to you what you want to do. I never bothered with colostrum as I didn't want to hand express or stimulate my milk at all.

My oldest has been completely fit and healthy only getting his first tummy bug at 2.5 years and only one cold a winter. My second has been a sickly child but think that is mainly due to his dairy allergy.

I was 100% confident in my decision and my MW was really supportive. Good Luck with your choice.

Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 6:56am
thanks so much for all of your advice, I've done some googling but there isn't alot out there.

Peanut, what is it that you took?? I'm thinking that I probably will do colostrum but I'm not 100% sure. My mil ff both of her kids so when I see her next I think I might have a big talk to her about it all.

monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 7:22pm
i tried to BF both my boys and even with the meds and expressing and BFing my milk still didnt come in so after about 6 weeks of trying both times i just gave up. my first boy lost 14% body weight in 4 days and my second was going down the same track. i BF for the first 4 days or so, so that they got as much colostrum as possible but then the weight loss started. from a bio-med student perspective i would def try BF for the first 3 days just for the immunity side of things but after that i would try milk-stop tablets and stuff so you dont end up engorged and in agony. totally up to you and whatever you decide is good as but the first few days may be worth it even if you dont plan on continuing

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 7:31pm
For the pill that stops your milk coming in at all you have to leave ya boobies alone completely or its just negating the effects of it. When I took it I was told to leave my boobs alone completely and to have a tight fitting bra and DH was told hands off. So I don't think you could take the pill and do colostrum. It would have to be one or the other. But if you wanted to do colostrum you could try all the other types of ways to dry you up, like cabbage and milk stop and all those sorts of things. You should chat with your MW about it.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:48pm
I have no idea of the name of it, sorry.

Stacey is right thou, you can't take the pill and then do colostrum. Its one or the other.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:50pm
Can you take the pill after you've done colostrum?  (just curious)
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 4:25pm
MrsMojo, my understanding is no but it depends on the MW. Usually your milk will come in after the colostrum so they then tend to like you to "dry up" naturally as it causes less problems. It will be each MW's decision thou.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 5:43pm
A lot of mw actually recommend trying to let it happen naturally too... I know a few who have FF from the beginning and been encouraged to not take the tablets.

I cant remember why but its a medical reason.... darn preggy brain!

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 5:59pm
I think its more because of the side effects of the tablets. I remember talking to someone else about it as her MW would not prescribe it to her.

EmilysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmilysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 8:15pm
I FF from birth and took milk stop but my midwife didn't recommend the pills, something to do with the side effects and increased risk of stroke (from recollection!). I wore a tight bra 24/7 and left them completely alone, tried to minimise water running over them in the shower and popped milk stop like crazt. Didn't bother with colostrum as that would have stimulated them too much. I had a couple of days of being a bit engorged and uncomfortable, but it wasn't bad at all. Will be doing the same thing when this bump arrives.
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:17pm
wow so much advice, thanks girls I think I will talk to my midwife though I am pretty sure that I know what she will say anyway

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 6:26pm
There were side effects from taking the pill? lol

I don't remember being told about any side effects other than the obvious milk not coming in and certainly didn't experience any. So now I wonder what the potential side effects were.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 6:54pm
Stacey, I think its something connected with breast cancer or something. I didn't really pay much attention and was never told but a friend was.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 7:23pm
Strange never being told esp when I was told of side effects of everything else I had to take/have by the ob
MyPeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:40am
I was unsuccessful with breastfeeding my DD however did give her colostrum via some breastfeeding, syringe and teaspoon which was done by hospital staff, MW and myself.

Milk supply came in a few days after birth and wasn't too uncomfortable, did some expressing occassionally to take a bit off but basically did pretty much nothing and milk supply dried up within about a week. No major issues, used breastpads for a bit of leakage.
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:43am
MyPeas - I'm pleased to hear that it wasn't too uncomfortable cos I'm planning on doing exactly what you did. How much colostrum did you give your dd??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>