FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInsurance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zaylah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaylah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance?
    Posted: 20 May 2010 at 2:06pm
I really need to get on to sorting out insurance and I don't really know where to start to find out who to choose. We currently just have insurance with the bank which we got our mortgage with and I've been so naughty and haven't changed it! I'm sure we must be paying quite high.

Anyway, is there an easy way to work out who has better rates? (like a mortgage broker but for insurance?) or do I need to just go through online and figure it all out? (I did that with the mortgage anyway rather than using a broker, so I can do it easy enough, just will take longer!)

Just thought I'd ask before I start researching into rates!
Sponsored Links

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 2:21pm
I just went online and got online quotes from each of the companies I was interested in.

I took into account, what benefits we would get eg; no claims, discount on premiums and of course cost.

Then once we'd gone over them together we chose the company who gave us the better deal and that was AA. We've been with them since my daughter was a baby, and have had no problems.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 2:29pm
What kind of insurance, home, contents, car or personal like life and income?

I've been shopping around for our home & contents and car and Tower is coming out the cheapest by some margin. We're currently with State who have provided us with great service but are not proving to be the cheapest.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 3:37pm
You can get an insurance broker. They work exactly like a mortgage broker

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:05pm
I got an insurance broker who does all the homework for you. I used Debs from Insurance People and she was great and found us policies where we pay way less than before.

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:13pm
By all means get a broker but do shop around yourself as well, brokers are all tied to certain providers and will push ones they get better commissions from.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:00pm
summerlamb - look into their claims payout history/reputation as well - Tower doesn't have a great reputation for their claim payouts.
KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:06pm
Yes, and always make sure you check what you're covered for.

A lot of the cheaper insurance companies cover you for a lot less and you might fall short at claim time. A big difference is often found in the new for old type components of the policies.

The old adage is often true - you get what you pay for.

Definately shop around, but be careful going for just the cheapest option. One way to look at it is thinking "what brand of spaghetti do I buy"? Do you just go for the cheapest, or do you look at what ones have lots of spaghetti and good tomato sauce? Sometimes insurance can be all sauce and no spaghetti!!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:35pm
we have AMI for house, car and contents, and ING for ou8r life, income protection and trauma. so far, great...in saying that haven't claimed from ING yet (touch wood)
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:06pm

ami have been bad in the past for payouts and AA have tried it on before too...we are with state for car and contents now (always had contents) Dh works for them now at the call centers so i can get some info for you if you like??

different companies have completely different cover though so depends what you need and the value as well!

CHEM 6/12+
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by BAMN08 BAMN08 wrote:

ami have been bad in the past for payouts

i've actually found them really good.

We have claimed numerous times
1 - hosue broken into
2 - cat bumped the plug out of my freezer
3 - house broken into again (they turned up to assess it though)
4 - some guy crashed into me

That has all been in the last two and a half years. everytime we have been paid out quickly and easily.

pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:47pm
We use state for our insurance and they have been great when we claimed for contents and car.

Definately compare what is included and their rating.

love the spaghetti comparison kiwlaurie

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:55pm
If you are looking at taking out life cover or increasing your current cover make sure it's done before the 30th June as from 1st July tax changes mean premiums are increasing by about 20% but any existing insurances are immune to the new tax for 5 years.
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:57pm

mrsMojo, thanks for that, been trying to get DH onto life insurance at work too, will get him onto it asap!

pikelets- i agree check their ratings it tells you their ability to pay out and the rates at which they go through with paying out claims...i hear DH tell people on calls when they get quotes/new policies haha

CHEM 6/12+
bext1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bext1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:34pm
Zaylah, you are probably best to see an insurance broker. That way they assess your needs, and will find you the correct policy.
Yes most do get commission, but they have to work hard for it!

Also, they will know how well they pay for claims etc. The cheapest option is not always best - especially at claims time.
I know there are a few companies out there that are cheap premiums, but they have a really bad claims payout and they will try to get out of claims using their wordings.

Here's a link that has brokers in the Wellington region.
There are some great broker houses down there.
Wellington Insurance Brokers

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 8:00am
Originally posted by minik8e minik8e wrote:

summerlamb - look into their claims payout history/reputation as well - Tower doesn't have a great reputation for their claim payouts.

Yip, that was my next step.
Zaylah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaylah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 10:20am
Wow thanks everyone - not going to be as easy as I thought but that's ok - I'm meant to be 'resting' and can't stop cleaning/organising, at least while I'm sorting this out I have to sit down aye!

Thanks again everyone - you have all helped heaps.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 10:20am
We are with State, they gave me the latest mac book pro because my cat pulled the old one off the dining table. Was all sorted within a week of it happening, However when my glasses broke and my camera because someone crushed my bag they didn't pay.
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by minik8e minik8e wrote:

Thats exactly what I was going to say.. lumley dont either!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 12:11pm

I am with State and even thou the price for us as gone up quite a bit this year I am still staying with them as we have a history with them.

I was also told you get what you pay for and I am hoping that when the tiem does come for us to claim that State will be good to us.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>