FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTTC #1 40 yrs old with FA. What about F+?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TTC #1 40 yrs old with FA. What about F+?
    Posted: 20 March 2010 at 4:46pm
Hi Ladies

I was a regular poster in the TTC & 2WW forums last yr but found it all got too much for me so took a break from ohbaby.

Since then have been turned down for public funding just prior to turning 40 as DH (35) & I had only been trying for 3.5yrs. All test came back normal (apart from AMH which showed my egg quality slightly compromised for my age. Had an HSG & rightside was slightly blocked but they cleared it by building up pressure of the dye flush - OUCH!

Started 50mg clomid this cycle - only at CD16 & going for BT Mon to check I did OV. Had scan at FA Greenlane on CD10 & had 3 follies on my rightside - 1x 24mm, 1x 18mm & one teeny tiny one & none on my left.

Not holding out too much hope for it all to happen in the first month after 3.5yrs of trying. FA suggested IUI or IVF will be the next step after 3 rounds of clomid as age is not on my side.

My question is I've just discovered the Fert PLUS is WAY cheaper & DH & I don't really have thousands to burn - should we stay or should we go now???

Sponsored Links

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:26pm
Ah, tricky. I was with Fert Plus, and I found them to be wonderful. We've visited since Cuinn was born a couple of times, kept in touch, and took in a birthday cake etc (so, obviously we have a great experience dealing with them - we heart them!) and we chose an OB who has a private practice, but who we came across in his work with Fert Plus. We also dealt with FA, and I was reluctant to go across because we'd started down the infertility treatment road with FA, but in the end, we had a good result.

I think it's like many things though - there are those who have had good experiences, and those who have had bad and it's a hard decision to make. How do Fert Plus's fees stack up against the 'guarantee' that FA offers?

Also, I would just go straight for IVF in your position. Financially, it's a wiser option too, instead of burning money potentially doing say IUI and ending up doing IVF down the track anyway. What FA said to us was that IUI might increase our chances from say 5% to 15% (so still b*gger all really) but IVF throws it right up there.
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 11:20am
we are nearing 40 (rapidly! eek!!) and at FA - ttc#2

just out of interest what are the costs...Im sure there would be lots on here who would like to know...I think from memory of seeing FA info it was about $8-10K for IVF - our IUI was about $2K all up.

others ???
Wannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 4:52pm
Here is the two links to the costs for both FA & F+...

www.fertilityassociates.co.nz/paying-for-treatment/costs.aspx
www.healthpoint.co.nz/default,141877.sm

But for example (prices quoted from their websites):

Monitored cycle of clomid with BTs & Folly Scan
FA $245
F+ $100

FA: IUI cycle with full follicle & ovulation monitoring $1,185 plus the cost of drugs if required.

F+: IUI cycle with ultrasound scans(s), blood tests and mid-cycle scan(s), if required, to monitor follicular growth and detect ovulation $750

FA IVF Cycle: $6,405 plus the cost of drugs. The amount of drugs required for an IVF cycle varies from patient to patient and from cycle to cycle. The drug regimen is a choice for you and your doctor. The average cost is about $2,400.

F+ IVF Cycle: $4950.00. These charges include all set-up and monitoring costs, egg collection, sperm preparation, early embryo culture, blastocyst culture, embryo transfer, early pregnancy monitoring and follow-up consultation. Plus drugs which are itemised individually on their website.

I'm not sure if F+ offer FA's Fertility Cover - which is up to 3 cycles of IVF & if you don't fall preggers then you are refunded 70%. Depending on the age of the woman, prices start from $24,000 and include drugs, ICSI, embryo storage and thawed embryo replacement. NOTE: must be under 40!

I was chatting to the Diognostic Lab lady this morning & she said that she has never heard negative comments from either FA or F+ clients.

So I guess it all comes down to personal choice &/or financial circumstances???

Lulu30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 4:57pm
We are with FA in wgtn, and our IVFf irst round has cost over $12K but we are using a donor, and also need extra drugs that is putting the cost up. Heading towards TER soon (FX for the thaw!) which is another $1,500 or so I believe.
Wannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 5:32pm
Absolutely Fx'd for you both Lulu30 as that's a heap of $$$!

But what price can you really put on the joy of holding your beautiful healthy baby as the end result! Priceless I believe.

sarahd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2010 at 8:14am
I think $10k now is nothng in the scheme of things...people spend that on a holiday, or a car.And compared to what kids actually cost you (so I've heard)!
 Post Reply Post Reply