FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby gear... first time mum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MinaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby gear... first time mum
    Posted: 18 February 2010 at 10:27am
Morning

Eventhough i'm early on we've started looking for and buying baby gear. Due to finances i'm planning on only taking 3 to 6mths off when the baby is born (luckily we work from home). We also want to buy the bigger items now so we can concentrate on getting some more bills out of the way.

I'm a first time mum and i need advice on what kind of pram/stroller/buggy to get, should it have a capsule or not. Also what kind of car seat to get? What should i be looking for, i want practical, easy to use and reliable.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 10:42am
Instead of buying those items now put the cash away and just look out for a sale, since your so early you can afford to do that. As farmers, baby city, baby factory etc have several sales around easter etc so you could save some money there.

Buggy - depends on how many kids you plan on having and when. If you plan on more than one close together then look into options where you can add a toddler seat later. If you only plan on having one then I found a cheap one at farmers was great. It was a 3 wheeler buggy and was just as good as the exensive brands but I got it for $200 on sale.

Capsule, I wouldn't bother getting one again but thats just me, some people love them.

Carseat - do alot of research. One that can go forward and rear facing. They vary quite a lot in terms of weight and height limits so it really pays to look around.

Do some searchs in the product review section you'll be able to find previous threads
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 11:17am
on the carseat front.... we are hiring one from Baby Factory for the first 6 months, coz once they get to 6 months (or average 6-month weight) they move up in car seat size... so might save you a bit of money that way...

there is also the option of getting one of those capsule car seats that clicks into a pram base so you can push them around... saves room if you have a small car and go grocery shopping coz you wont have a huge pram.

there is alot of talk about prams... ours has 4 sets of air wheels (quiter than rubber ones) a big shopping basket underneath, reversible handle (so you can push it looking at them, or push them so they facing forward) folds down to a bassinet and all the way up to a toddler position. has a sun shade and rain cover. peek-a-boo hood so you can see them and the padded bit that they sit/lie on can come out easily to chuck in the wash.... you 3 wheels is better if you do alot of walking through stores etc as many people reckon its more manuverable... if you plan on having more kids closer together, one that can add a toddler seat or a kiddy board to it would be a better option.... best thing is to go into a store and push some around to check how easy they are to use, can you open and collapse with one hand etc....

and not being pessimistic and i really hope everything goes perfectly for you... but it would prolly be better to put the money aside until you hit 2nd trimester, then you can also look for sales aswell

have you told family and friends yet aswell? you would be surprised at how much stuff you get given or offered to borrow.....! and TM is always a good place to check out too.

kebakat hit it on the head lol. check out the product review section good luck hun!
MinaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 2:22pm
Thanks for the all the advice, i've found some sale deals which include the capsule but i'm still doing some research.

I'll check out the product review section.

We have told our friends and family, i would say i'll get alot of the small stuff which is why i'm only buying the big stuff for now.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 2:57pm
If I were you, I'd trawl TM - there are often MB/Phil & Teds for very reasonable prices and very good condition.
If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't bother with a pram, we never use ours, I always seem to wear her these days - thankfully we borrowed our MB off my sister I love MBs though, very easy to use and quite light to get in/out of the car.

Cots - again, I'd trawl TM, we got a reasonably good cot for $80, bought a new mattress and that was that! If you're going to go for a capsule, I'd hire one, they are around $60 for 6mths and everyone I know who has done this has received a brand new one.
Car seats - well I left this research a little late, but after looking into it a bit more, I strongly advise you that you research these the most. The current recommendations for rear-facing are not adequate, so be aware of this, just because recommendations say that from 9mths babies can be forward-facing,doesn't mean they should! Many babies have died or have recieved serious injuries from FFing. Because of this, we have saved up to purchase a seat from Sweden, a leading country in car-seat safety. (our most expensive baby item). The site we used was www.carseat.se There is alot of great info abour Rfing as well.   

Um and capsules on snap n go wheels or attached to prams - personally I hate them As a newborn, I'd take her out and into a wrap, now into a SSC.

I agree that it's a really good idea to save up, perhaps opening a savings account to put money into each pay-day - you have a good 7-8mths to decide on what you want. Also the best piece of advice I was given was that a baby only costs however much you want to spend. We spent the bare minimum on things apart from her car-seat, or borrowed/accepted hand-me-downs from family and friends.
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 2:59pm
Congrats on your pregnancy!

Caseat/Capsule:

If you have the opportunity to go and see a Baby on the Move rep - I highly recommend this! I think there is one in Wellington (unfortunately not in Palmy). They are great, they can tell you all sorts about which is safest/easiest/cheapest. They hire and sell so you can decide what you are going to do after you've met with them. We have a Graco capsule with a base which we love :)

Pram:

We have a Mountain Buggy\. We got a universal capsule clip which allowed us to take the capsule out of the car and just clip onto the buggy. So great in those early days. We now use it normally. We got out secondhand of TM - was only 2 years old and came with lots of extras, half the price of buying new! But see down the page about my comment about not needing a pram.

Some Other Things I thought of: :)

Cloth Nappies - awesome money saver. We don't use sposies at all. Modern Cloth Nappies are nothing like the old flats with safety pins. They are cute and oh so easy. Cost for Birth to Toilet Trained is around $600-$700 depending on what kind you get or even cheaper if you get them secondhand. But you don't have to get them all at once :) It ends up being MUCH cheaper than buying sposies plus when you've finished with them - you can sell them on.

Moby Wrap baby carrier: Awesome baby carrier especially for the very young babies. I have an Ergo baby carrier as well but I'd say the Moby is far better for young babies, the Ergo comes later on. If you are going with a carseat that stays in the car rather than a capsule then I would go so far as to say - you don't need a pram, just spend $75 on a Moby Wrap and you are sorted. We "wear" Jude FAR more than we take him out in the pram.

Cot: You don't need to buy a basinet or hammock for the baby to go into earlier on - your baby can just go straight into a cot.

You get given HEAPS of blankets and toys :) So only get a few of these. We didn't buy any toys and Jude's toy box is overflowing.

Baby Monitor: You don't need one. Haha. Even in a big house we still manage to pick up when Jude is awake and when he isn't.

Check out TradeMe for awesome bargains - things for little babies are often sold secondhand in great condition because they only use them for such a short period of time. (But I wouldn't recommend getting a secondhand carseat as you never know whether they have been in a crash or not.)

That's all I can think of for now. Good Luck!

Edited by StaceyL

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 3:14pm
Oh and I forgot to do a plug for cloth nappies We spent alot of money on cloth naps, but I've now learnt how to make my own, it's really easy - I hadn't touched a machine since I was 11 And like Stacey said, it's a great money saver (which I suppose could be debated in my case cause I buy a crapload of fabric now instead of sposies hehe)

Can't help but share, here are some that I made a friend for her baby shower - there is some seriously cute fabric out there Nothing like seeing a cute baby toosh!

MinaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 4:09pm
Oh they are cute Mamma2N, you should make them to sell. I'd definitely consider buying some from you.

Thank god for TM, if your wise and take your time you can really find a great bargin. So far I've found a very cute bassinet and change table with a bath. Both of these items were in great condition and not expensive at all, plus i got extras for no cost. I know i didn't need a bassinet, but after lots of discussion we decided to get one as it will be useful to us.

My lovely Father brought us a cot this week, so i just need to get a mattress, buggy and carseat. I will definitely but a new carseat, maybe secondhand buggy (although flybuys have a really good one) and a friend has a mattress she's giving me. So far all is going well.
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:01pm
TM and the local op shops can be quite good - the church type ones. I got a baby bath there for $2 the other day.

We got heaps of stuff off TM and also yes got given heaps. Most grandparents seem to want to buy one of the bigger items so we farmed out the pram, cloth nappies, carseat to them.

I think saving the money and waiting for sales is a great suggestion as places like Farmers can have cracking sales. Also think if you really need one of the expensive prams like mountain buggy or phil and teds. We got a MB because we both run a lot but otherwise they are beyond most people's needs for strength and manouverability (sp?) and bloody expensive. BUT you will use it for all your kids so maybe it's an investment if you like to walk a lot.

Also you don't need half the stuff they tell you on those lists clotheswise and bedding wise. People will give you heaps of stuff too. If you do buy clothes leave the tags on some and wait till the baby comes as they can vary a lot in size and you may not even get to use some if you don't swap them. We never bought things like bassinet sheets and just use a flat cot sheet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:43pm
oh yeah forgot to plug MCNs too! lol Mum is making all of ours for us.... we will be using sposies though for the first couple of days for the meconium poos (and until DP can change a nappy without worrying about inserts n all that jazz lol) but there are some adorable fabrics out there! and if you can make em yourself, you can make them for about $5-$7 each (or if you get fabric on spesh even cheaper... keep your eye out for the spotlight specials where they have $2/m etc.)

they can go from a NB size (almost prem size) through to walker size, just by using the different velcro bits. but still really easy! my fave ones are these zebra pattern ones mum made lol.
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 7:55pm
Man I wish my grandma could still sew!! Those clothies are cute!! (we are buying cloth, but those home made ones are way cuter!!)

+1 May 09 Angel
dango_chan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dango_chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 9:33pm
/hijacks

So...uh...what pattern(s) would you ladies recommend?

*looks at neglected sewing machine*

Orsi76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orsi76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 12:03am
Hi Guys,

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and all my bras are already too small. Any idea from where can I get some good cotton bras in Lower Hutt or Wellington. Also looking for an exercise class in the same locations

Edited by Orsi76

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 12:01pm
Orsi - TWH has a new maternity range... bras are $18. this week they on spesh from $12 i thnk... (H&H)

dango_chan - i think you can find them online. i dont know where mum got her one from... ill try find out for ya.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 12:28pm
Here is one nappy pattern that mum has used.

Nappy pattern
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Orsi76 Orsi76 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and all my bras are already too small. Any idea from where can I get some good cotton bras in Lower Hutt or Wellington. Also looking for an exercise class in the same locations

I actually found KMart to be my best source of maternity bras. Love my Bub2B Maternity Camisoles.

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 12:42pm
I recommend a baby monitor as one of your big purchases. I know lots of people dont use them but I enjoy the piece of mind knowing my baby is breathing - it gives me a good nights sleep
http://lilypie.com]
Orsi76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orsi76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 7:13pm
Thanks Ladies, will check out TWH 2morrow, not sure where is KMart here will try to find one next week (probably to late for the weekend discount tho...)

Edited by Orsi76
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 9:28pm
I would also recommend Kmart as good place for Bras. Mine were all eiher $10 or $15 each and they are actually nice. A lot of other brands are very 'nana-ish' and not very flattering at all. I find the KMart ones much nicer looking and also far more comfortable!
Harley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 10:01pm

Bendon factory was having an awesome sale the last few weeks - nothing over $20. Check them out if they are in Welly! Hopefully the sale is still going...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>