FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFoods that badly affect BF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foods that badly affect BF
    Posted: 02 February 2010 at 9:58pm
Hi ladies,
Just wondering what foods should you steer clear of while BF? Number 3 is 3 weeks old, I didnt manage to BF other 2 and am determined to get it right this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated
TIA
Sponsored Links

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 10:58pm
I think every woman and baby is different when it comes to this, and what affects some babies, might not effect others, but in saying that, there are some things that you probably hear about more often!    Mine is definitely chocolate!   Every time I have chocolate, he is so cranky it's just not funny.   

I haven't seemed to notice anything else really.

Congrats on the breastfeeding!   I didn't manage to breastfeed my first, so this is all new to me too.    So far so good!

I'm sure lots of the other experienced breastfeeding mums have more to offer than me.   
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 11:16pm
All those foods that make you windy

Found a list.
Also chocolate; spices (cinnamon, garlic, curry, chili pepper); citrus fruits and their juices, like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit; strawberries; kiwifruit; pineapple; the gassy veggies onion, cabbage, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, and peppers.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 6:55am
The only thing I had to be careful of was drinking too much orange juice - other then that, I ate (and still eat) everything! Onion, garlic, lots of chilli and curry - YUM, No way I wanted to give them up. I ate them the whole way through pregnancy as well, I think she was used to the spices....
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 8:08am
i gave up nothing either...

rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 10:24am
Thanks ladies orange juice and chocolate might explain my grumpy baby!!!! Will steer clear for now and see if it makes a difference........
mamanee thanks for the congrats, its a nice feeling being able to feed your bubby huh!!!
surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:34pm
i eat everything and have not noticed any issues with DD. As my midwife said "breasts are better filters than a placenta"....Good Luck!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 9:56pm
I've found each baby different...only gave up the windy veges with Alia & only in that colic period. Dairy she was fine with plus all the rest. Plus slept through from 9 weeks.

Cooper on the other hand different kettle of fish all together. Reflux, eczema, wheezing etc Still doens't sleep through the night & is on losec.

I guess if you have a pretty allergy free family then you should be fine to eat pretty much anything. A friend eats curry's etc & her baby is good as gold.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 5:37pm
My baby had problems with tomato for some reason.

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 9:13pm
Tomato seems to cause some problems for Anthony too. That and egg. I am going to take guess and say he will have the same Egg allergy as our daughter judging by the rashes and sore tummys he gets when I eat it

fionae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fionae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 9:21pm
ONION, I cant go any where near it! Georgiana will be in absolute agony. Havn't tried any for a while so maybe time to test the waters again....

mollycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mollycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:25pm
CABBAGE! Oh, dear lord - I learned it the hard way. hourly wakings on the night of eating it with a very fussy, unsettled bubba. Also - Ryan can't tolerate much dairy so if your bubs is having trouble the first thing I would eliminate is dairy for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. Dairy is quite a common intolerate for real littlies

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 8:35am
i wondered about this too as my first had cows milk protein allergy...number two seems fine so far(4 weeks)... though i have been avoiding too much caffeine...but having said that i ate a heap of choc and he slept better than normal lol.. i think it's sometimes hard to tell at this young age too as they are often unsettled for a few hours etc..!:)

but yeah as the others have said seems to be trial and error:) I'm another who is having a much better time of feeding this time around!:)

Edited by ElfsMum
Mum to two amazing boys!
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 8:54am
Another thing to use as a guideline for eliminating foods is what effects you, DH/DP or your immediate family.

I had to cut out dairy, wheat and tomatoes from my diet when BF. DH gets reflux from tomatoes and is wheat intolerant also. BIL (DHs brother) is dairy intolerant.

Only if baby is showing signs would I eliminate however, again trial and error is all you can do really.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 1:20pm
I have noticed chocolate makes Liam crazy, but in saying that, only when I eat LOTS of it....

Oct 11
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:06pm
Tomato stuff and dairy products. But the no dairy is cause Mac is Lactose intolerant like his Dad and if I eat dairy he refluxes.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 6:33pm
I find the lists funny... if curry was an issue (for example) then there must be A LOT of cranky babies in India.

I think every baby is different and its trial and error... Jake couldnt tolerate eggs in the first 8 weeks (I was sooo disappointed, I was desperate for soft yolks by the end of my pregnancy).

Lactose bothers him so I had to avoid dairy until I got pregnant and he seems ok and that was about it.

Everything else was fine!

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 12:54pm
I thought the dairy thing was an issue with cows milk proteins, not lactose. Cos you make lactose in breastmilk no matter what you eat?
Jackie86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 1:48pm
Every baby is different, I was so worried about it too, I’m not BF but I am still expressing and my little man seems to react to CHOCOLATE (the hardest thing I’ve ever had to give up ) It's ok if I eat small amounts but keep the chocolate bars away or he's screaming and not sleeping. I found this out when he was a week old; I through it was the dairy thing! Good to see I’m not alone!

Jackie86 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 1:54pm
ooooo just remember my MW told me as well that tomatoes (uncooked) and fresh strawberries can make them upset too, I think it has something to do with the seeds, not sure. She also told me some foods that are high in acid can upset baby like orange juice. I don’t eat these things, oranges give me migraines.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>