FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBiting baby - help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nztui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nztui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biting baby - help!
    Posted: 06 October 2009 at 7:10pm
My nearly 8month old daughter is teething and has started biting when she BFs, not fun!

She is just getting her 2nd tooth through now and it's been much more painful for her than the first. If she's just woken up I can feed her ok as she is hungry and doesn't bite till the end which I can cope with as I can look out for that, but the evening feed when she's been up for a few hours she will just bite and smile and not actually start feeding. I have been taking her off immediately when she bites and saying NO and making my face look a bit stern but when I put her back on she just does it again. I really don't like her missing out on this feed longterm as we'll obviously have to keep playing catchup at night (and I'd like to dream of a sleepthrough at some point in the future!)

Has anyone got any ideas for getting past the biting? I thought about nipple shields but wondered if that would cut down on the stimulation and make less milk. I'm unable to express anything worthwhile so BF is really the only option.

Excuse the novel, just hoping someone has the magic answer! (haha, like there actually is such a thing with babies....)
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 8:40pm
I've had this problem as well and someone else posted a while ago about using nipple shields and their baby seeing it as a teether and biting even harder so I decided not to try it out for myself.
Kyle now has 6 teeth and I found each time cuts one there is a few days of biting before he stops. I find if I offer when he isn't really hungry he will bite and if I think he hasn't had enough and try to put him back on at the end of a feed he will bite and sometimes he will just bite at the end of a feed if I'm not watching out for it.

Probably not much help really, Kyle laughs at me when I tell him off

nztui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nztui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 1:27pm
Ok, so nipple shields sounds definitely out!

Did you find Kyle fed less during that time Cuppatea, and does he only bite now when it's a tooth coming through?
That's good to hear that it only lasted a few days each time, I really hope it is the same here. This is the 4th day so fingers crossed.

6 teeth....eeek. I can't imagine the pain when there's top and bottom teeth to bite with
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 8:45pm
Yeah it doesn't tickle, and i noticed number 7 is on it's way now

Yeah it mostly seems to be when teething, a couple of times he has bitten me when not teething but it's been cos he hasnt' been hungry when I have tried to latch him on

Post Reply Post Reply