FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSue Bradford resigned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 12:25pm
My issue with the anti smacking bill, wasn't that I should be allowed to smack my kids, its more to do with the govt telling me how I should raise my children. What right do they have to tell me how to parent.

They took what was a matter for a Judge to decide, and made it the govts decision.   It was about removing 'reasonable force' as a defence in the Crimes Act. The media to some extent made 'smacking' the same as 'reasonable force' when it seemed obvious to me, that the people that got off due to 'reasonable force' were doing a lot more than smacking their kids.

The anti-smacking legislation has made NZ a country of people who would rather ring the authorities than help a parent who's trying to control his kids - which was the situation with the guy who grabbed his sons ear, while trying to prevent the other going in the Avon river, why didn't the person who dobbed him in help instead.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by mrsg1 mrsg1 wrote:

The anti-smacking legislation has made NZ a country of people who would rather ring the authorities than help a parent who's trying to control his kids - which was the situation with the guy who grabbed his sons ear, while trying to prevent the other going in the Avon river, why didn't the person who dobbed him in help instead.

Just a shame that wasn't the full story or extent of what he did to that kid.

Media hypes a lot of this stuff up and makes people look at the these stories and say "oh look see he was unfairly accused". Certainly makes better news than if it comes out the father had actually smacked the kid across the head. During the anti-smacking debate which is going to get the people talking?

Edited by Paws

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by becky becky wrote:

Im sad she has gone too she has done some great things esp the breastfeeding Mums in prison bill.
Also have to agree with the anti-smacking there are other ways that are more productive to discipline. Imo I also think it is about role modelling too how can we teach our children not to hit and then turn around and do it to them.

Do these babies actually live in the prison?
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 1:15pm
Oh and Im glad she has gone, she was an annoying person before she went into Parliament and now she is just as annoying just slightly better groomed.

becky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 1:38pm
Yep they live with their mothers it used to be six months but has been extended to two years. There has to be a special parenting agreement signed with conditions and the mum has to want the baby. It some cases it has made the Mums decide to change their lives for the better

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 2:17pm
Two years?

*sits on hands*

pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by lemongirl lemongirl wrote:

She managed to get three personal bills through the house: section 59, abolishing youth rates and a bill allowing mothers to keep their children with them in prison to breastfeed,

That's huge, most MPs never pass a personal bill.

Love her or hate her - she did acheive more than most MP's which is an achievement.   Shame more MP's don't seem to make much impact.

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
Essjay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Essjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 3:58pm
It is NOT an "anti smacking" bill. I think that is the biggest discredit to Bradford, as portrayed by a lazy, talk-back style of journalism that this country seems to have adopted. It was the removal of a clause within the legislation that allows a parent to use "reasonable force" as a defence in child abuse case. As has been proven, no parent is being told how to raise their children, nor have any being unfairly accused.

How embarrassing, that as the rest of the world seems to move forward, once again New Zealand seems to want to clamber backwards.....only made more internationally shameful when such protest is taken in context with our disgraceful non accidental injury and child murder incidents.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Essjay Essjay wrote:

It is NOT an "anti smacking" bill.

How embarrassing, that as the rest of the world seems to move forward, once again New Zealand seems to want to clamber backwards.....only made more internationally shameful when such protest is taken in context with our disgraceful non accidental injury and child murder incidents.

*sigh*

But it's completely ok to put a child into jail for two of the three MOST critical learning years of their life with these aforementioned child abusers and murderers, because their Mother was an idiot and ended up in jail? Just because she "wants them", I for one think you should have thought about wanting your children before ending up in jail in the first place.

Thats a brilliant way to brake the cycle!

Lets just "normalise" jail as a way of life for the children of our nation and take them away from all their family EXCEPT their Mother just because she can make milk?

IMO that is shameful!

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 6:29pm
Are they in a separate section of the prison with other mothers and babies?
2 years is quite a long time.
Gosh it would be hard to part with the child after the 2 years was up!

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:08pm
Well said, Lilfatty!

I am obviously so out of the know as did not realise that this went on in NZ

pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:32pm
Agreed lilfatty! And wasn't there some case(s) of women in prison getting pregnant whilst in there as well?? Thanks to the prison guards or something? (Not sure, could have been something I saw on a tv show haha)..

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:34pm

It is NOT an "anti smacking" bill. I think that is the biggest discredit to Bradford, as portrayed by a lazy, talk-back style of journalism that this country seems to have adopted. It was the removal of a clause within the legislation that allows a parent to use "reasonable force" as a defence in child abuse case. As has been proven, no parent is being told how to raise their children, nor have any being unfairly accused.

Extremely well said!!

MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

It is NOT an "anti smacking" bill.

*sigh*

But it's completely ok to put a child into jail for two of the three MOST critical learning years of their life with these aforementioned child abusers and murderers, because their Mother was an idiot and ended up in jail? Just because she "wants them", I for one think you should have thought about wanting your children before ending up in jail in the first place.

Thats a brilliant way to brake the cycle!

Lets just "normalise" jail as a way of life for the children of our nation and take them away from all their family EXCEPT their Mother just because she can make milk?

IMO that is shameful!

I agree!!
2 years! Living with criminals, what on earth!
clare00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clare00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:56pm
I understand, though, that having their babies in jail with them gives many of these women reason to turn their lives around.

Also, Essjay, what you said was spot on. It is not an "anti smacking" bill. We can't change the culture of violence against children (in some circles) in this country but still allow caregivers the defence of reasonable force in child abuse cases.

I would never let my son hit someone, and so I would never hit him.

Edited by clare00
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 8:03pm
Actually they live in wee house type things not jail like you think and they can come and go to spend time with other family. Its more that they can spend time with their mother more than the standard visiting hours, the baby's aren't in 'jail' like the mothers but can stay there.

Also a fan of the anti-smacking bill, I don't think it has anything to do with the rights of parents. I believe it just gives children the same rights as any other member of our society to be protected from harm.
Treen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 8:05pm
Can't say I agree about the babies in jail, but I think I'll have to do a little more research on that before I comment. I always like to look at both sides of the coin when it comes to politics. From what I gather, the anti-smacking bill came about because a lot of child abusers were avoiding prosecution by claiming that they were merely smacking their child. Bradford saw a lot of this and wanted that loophole closed. The Greens claim the bill is working, yet the New Zealand media aren't particularly forthcoming with those stats.

What I disliked about Bradford, was the way she went about it. She personally insulted everyday kiwi parents. In interviews she would refer to smacking as "hitting" or "abuse" and would imply that those who smacked were backwards and barbaric. Now, if you really want to change someone's opinion, I strongly suggest you don't insult them.

I was smacked as a child. I wasn't hit, I wasn't abused, I was smacked. I know the difference and I'm speaking from experience. But what constitutes a smack or abuse in my eyes, can easily be seen as something different to someone else. My husband, for example, was regularly belted with a leather strap. He was left with bruising, swelling, and red marks. That's abuse to me yet to his father, that was a smack.

I'm planning on raising my children without smacking. Not because I suffered from any sort of psychological damage as some anti-smackers will tell you. Being smacked as a child hurt nothing but my pride. And I do believe I had a lot more respect for my parents because of it. A lot more respect than many children of today have. But I'm going to try it because smacking is now seen as socially unacceptable. And that's my one and only reason.

However, I also know that all kids are different. I don't judge parents who choose to smack. Parents with uncontrollable children are often looked down on. As if it's their fault. Yet children's personalities never seem to come into it. Some children are well-behaved and some are not. I don't believe it's particularly useful to claim that if you can't control your children without resorting to a smack, you're a bad parent.

I also try and put myself in my mother's shoes. She raised 4 children and held down 3 jobs. Imagine getting a warning from your boss about being late (because of your kids). You're trying to get everyone into the car to go to Grandma's so you can go to said job. Yet they're playing up and won't do as they're told. You quite simply don't have 10 minutes to sit them on the naughty step. So what do you do?       
becky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 8:40pm
Totally agree with you Essjay re section 59.

The breastfeeding mums in Jail is not about the fact that they produce milk, its about attachment having that opportunity to bond with their child. Its also about breaking the 'Cycle' as most of these mothers in jail probably had a parent in jail may also have been bounced from foster home to foster home. I have seen parents do horrific things to their children and make selfish decisions but these children always want to be with their real parents. The punishment for their crime is being removed from the community and put in a place where they have no personal decisions if a baby goes to live with their mother while she is incarcerated and the mother becomes a better person and wants to fight for her child then I think its a good thing.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 8:44pm
My gosh Treen , that was one of the best responses I've ever read .
Well written !

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 9:00pm
Okay so I've been looking at the anti smacking bill as an anti smacking bill, not as a removal of the clause allowing reasonable force. Whoops! There is my ah ha moment for the evening :)

As for babies in a jail environment of any type, I'm sorry but I'm not keen on that :( I wish I could be more open minded but I reckon that there must be a much safer environment with a better 'vibe' to it, where children can be more nutured. I would hope a mother would want to fight to get out of jail for a child anyway?

Laptop battery is going flat, must be time to bail :)
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>