FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDropping a feed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maudie23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maudie23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropping a feed
    Posted: 20 September 2009 at 6:13pm
My son is 4.5 months old and he doesn't drink alot of milk. His feeding times are 7am ,11am, 3pm, 7pm and sometimes a dreamfeed at 10pm.
However he will only drink max 120mils for all but one of these feeds. Max will be 180mils at the 3pm feed.
He also has solids vegies and fruit at 5pm.

Question:
Should I be dropping one of the day feeds?
If so which one?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 6:30pm
I wouldn't drop any at the moment and if he's not drinking that much then I would stop the solids, milk is the most important food until 8-9 months

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 7:42pm
Jake doesnt drink much either, from the breast he will take 60-120ml during the day. I know he is getting a good feed during the night though.

From a bottle he will take anything from 60ml - 200ml depending on how hungry he is and piggish he is being.

I would agree with cuppatea, dont drop a feed. Milk should be the most important thing for your little man for a few more months yet. I would be inclined to be keeping that dream feed up rather than losing a feed. Check with your plunket nurse but I would have thought he should be still having 5 milk feeds per day at least.

How much solids is having? Jake is having 3tbsp once a day and that is plenty. After all, food at this stage is only about learning how to eat and taste testing not about nutrition.

maudie23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maudie23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 7:44pm
I can't drop the solids he isn't gaining weight on the formula. Hence the reason he has to be on solids. Will just keep doing what we have been. He has never been a big milk dribker so maybe he just doesn't like too much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 7:49pm
Aggh I know that feeling, thats why Jake is on solids too! We are trying to boost a few more calories with the solids and it seems to have worked. Week one and he gained 140gm (his average pr wk for the past 2 months was 85).

So stressful isnt it, if he isnt gaining weight I would definately not be dropping any feeds hun.

maudie23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maudie23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 7:27am
Thanks Mel, Mattijs has a good amount of solids in the evening. say 3 tbs of vegies and then a small amount of custanrd.

Apparently according to plunket mattijs should only be having 4 milk drinks a day that is why I was wondering if I should be dropping one.
Spoke with Plunket again yesterday and they said maybe introduce a morning feed of solids as well.

I know milk is the most important thing at this stage, it just seems as though he is not getting near enough for his age. He has finally started gaining weight so I guess something is going right.

He is a happy and very content wee man on what we are doing now. So if it isn't broken why fix it?

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 7:33am
That sounds like odd advice from plunket, I would think they would be encouraging more milk rather than more solids at his young age.

I wouldn't get overly caught up in ml amounts as what they write on the tin is for the average baby and who has one of those?

You've probably done this already but have you tried a different formula? maybe he would be keen to drink more of a different one?

maudie23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maudie23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 1:31pm
Cuppatea, I sure have, he started on s26 gold and same thing.
They have said that maybe he just doesn't want alot of milk. I can make him drink every 3 hours but then he just vomits it all up. We are on 4 hourls feeds and even then we are struggling with each other to drink.

I am not going to introduce more solids. He is too little for that, I will just keep doing what we have been doing. I think 1 solids per day is enough. As you say for his age, milk should be the main source of food. If only we had an average baby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 3:05pm
I wish we had an average baby too sometimes, but like Mattijs, Jake is a wee happy thing.. just not a big drinker.

It feels good when you hit the right combo heh? I was so happy when I saw jakes weight going up!

I agree with cuppatea, the amounts on the tin are only a guide and I am surprised that plunket are suggesting more solids! I think if you do drop a feed then you might find the weight gain slows again. If you are on solids to boost calories then dropping a milk feed would cancel that out iygwim. The more I think about it the more I say pooh to Plunket! If you can get him to take 5 milk feeds a day do it.

Have you taken him to a paed? I took Jake and he pretty much told me to ignore everything plunket had said (They told me I shouldnt be giving Jake solids and should be waking him in the night for a second night feed).

Edited by melnel

mumtooboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by melnel melnel wrote:

I am surprised that plunket are suggesting more solids! I think if you do drop a feed then you might find the weight gain slows again. If you are on solids to boost calories then dropping a milk feed would cancel that out iygwim. The more I think about it the more I say pooh to Plunket! If you can get him to take 5 milk feeds a day do it.

I'm not, it's what they told me to do for my 'poor' weight gainer. I did some experimenting and he always gained LESS when I gave him more solids so on the sly I upped his bf and decreased the solids and he always gained MORE those months but quite frankly little we tried did naff all for his weight gain.

The thing is that some babies just don't gain weight (mine don't start until they are toddlers) and I was ff from birth and I didn't gain weight, still can't. Look at the baby!

DS2 was very hit and miss with weight gain but he was content after feeds, he had plenty of wet/dirty nappies and he was hitting his milestones and THAT'S what they should be looking at not how much they do or don't weigh.

Sorry, for the hijack and rant over. Oooh and I agree stuff Plunket , worked for us.
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 10:32am
Mandy, I thought H was ready for solids but just in the last couple of weeks he started drinking big bottles (from about 120-150mL to about 240mL) and seems happy enough. Also, since we've switched to plain S26 from S26 gold he's been drinking more. Not sure why. My Plunket nurse said by 7 months he should be having 4 milk feeds and 3 solids feeds a day.

Mel, that advice from Plunket re the night feeds is very weird
 Post Reply Post Reply