FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhow much B/Milk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much B/Milk
    Posted: 18 September 2009 at 3:23pm
if i was to express for a feed
how much would a 6 week old need ??
Sponsored Links

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 3:42pm
Really depends - how are you feeding (scheduled or demand). I would imagine a schedule fed baby would feed more in one feed. I have only ever used EBM in 100-150ml lots (demand fed) sometimes she will drink it all, sometimes some is left.

Also depends on your child - He/She may not take alot.. maybe start with 100mls and have another with 50mls ready to go if he/she wants more.

Actually on seconds thoughts - go with how much you get out Sometimes it isn't as much as you think you'll get out! Remember your breastpump has nothing on your baby!!
mumtooboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 5:50pm
Gosh.......100mls sounds like alot for a 6 week old baby to me, but they are all individuals. My 4.5 month old only ever had twobottles over 100ml ever. LOL I always left milk out in 50ml increments so if he wanted more he could have it but none got wasted..................it's liquid gold and considering how hard some women have to work to get a few mls I'd want as little wastage as possible.

Kellymom has a handy milk calculatorthat gives a high, low and average range based on how often they are feeding in 24 hours. A bf baby can be overfed with a bottle because their sucking needs haven't been met so they think they are still hungry when they aren't. So as a 'rule' if a bf takes 15 minutes the bottle feed should too. Here is a link to bottle feeding the bf baby
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by mumtooboys mumtooboys wrote:

Gosh.......100mls sounds like alot for a 6 week old baby to me, but they are all individuals. My 4.5 month old only ever had twobottles over 100ml ever. LOL I always left milk out in 50ml increments so if he wanted more he could have it but none got wasted..................it's liquid gold and considering how hard some women have to work to get a few mls I'd want as little wastage as possible.

Kellymom has a handy milk calculatorthat gives a high, low and average range based on how often they are feeding in 24 hours. A bf baby can be overfed with a bottle because their sucking needs haven't been met so they think they are still hungry when they aren't. So as a 'rule' if a bf takes 15 minutes the bottle feed should too. Here is a link to bottle feeding the bf baby

As I said, sometimes she would take it all, sometimes not. For her first EBM feed at 1 week old she took 90mls, so for 6 weeks 100mls was right for us.
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 7:34pm
Jake was taking about 100ml per feed from the breast at 6 weeks so that sounds about right to me... but yup they are all different. I would offer about 80ml to start and then 20 ml increments until bubs is full...

Just be aware that you may not be able to express enough for a feed in one go.

bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 9:23pm
thanks ladies.. i have three lots of 50ml.
may make sure i have anothe 50mls just incase.. would rather have too much than not enough

if he doesnt drink it all once warmed.. does it need to be thrown away.. you cant re- heat it again right ?

oh and yes im demand feeding... hes a porker and putting on 280gm last week !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Mamma2N Mamma2N wrote:

As I said, sometimes she would take it all, sometimes not. For her first EBM feed at 1 week old she took 90mls, so for 6 weeks 100mls was right for us.

I didn't say it wasn't right for you, in fact I also said they are individuals I said it sounded like alot to me based on my experience. I know that with my baby if he gulped a bottle of ebm he'd scream for ages afterwards and act hungry when he actually wasn't.

What I have found is that most people use the backs of formula tins when recommending ebm amounts and the two aren't comparable and from my experiences bf babies generally need heaps less ebm than a ff baby of the same age would which is why kellymom has a handy calculator based on how often they feed and gives a 'baseline' with 'wiggle room' either side instead of assuming ALL babies of the same age will take the same amounts.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 10:17pm
Ah, Mumtooboys, I know what you meant - I certainly wasn't snapping at you I was simply clarifying my original post.

bun_in_the_oven - yeah unfortunetly you have to throw it away once its heated. Great weight gain too!! Keep up the good work!
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 8:08am
When I was back in hospital when Lydia was 1 week old, I expressed 150mL for mum for feed her so I could sleep. the little guts drank the whole thing, and was still hungry!!!!! Surprised the heck out of mum and the night MW. And then a couple of weeks ago (6 months) would only drink 50mL...

Good idea to do it in 50mL lots, it's such a waste when they leave most of it behind!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 4:22pm
Mamma,

I apologise , I was having a bad day that day (was my dad's birthday and he's been gone for 11 years) so I took it personally..........as I am want to do at times. LOL The joys of the written word.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by mumtooboys mumtooboys wrote:

Mamma,

I apologise , I was having a bad day that day (was my dad's birthday and he's been gone for 11 years) so I took it personally..........as I am want to do at times. LOL The joys of the written word.

Hey no worries at all! Sorry if I caused any offence! Its quite annoying not hearing the tone of anothers voice really! I hope you've had a better day today

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 10:53am
Nah,

Not offended, just a bit too sensitive. LOL Feeling better now, so hopefully I won't read into replies stuff that isn't there.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 5:33pm
The way that the hospital calculates how much to feed a baby is 180mls per kg per day. Our girls are only on 150mls per kg per day at 6 weeks (mainly because they're small and have excellent weight gains on that), so works out to be 450mls per day....or 75ml per feed (6 feeds per day) for Miss A who is exactly 3kg.

I think that makes sense?
 Post Reply Post Reply