FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBoosting milk supply??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boosting milk supply??
    Posted: 30 August 2009 at 9:57am
I have read the bf myths thread, and there's heaps of ideas in there, but the general consensus is to let bubs suck more and you'll create more milk. With the girls in NNU, and me staying up the hospital, I don't have the option to increase their bf at the moment, and I can't do any of the baking - are there any natural remedies/supplements I can take, or specific foods I can try to include in my diet to increase my milk supply?

I am expressing every 3 hours, and the girls are fed through nasal gastric tubes, and I am getting around 60-70mls total from both breasts, which isn't even enough for a feed for both of them (J is on 45mls every 3 hours and A is on 48mls every 3 hours - both putting on weight quite happily), so they are topped up with formula (which I really don't mind, I just would like to be giving them as much breast milk as I can to prepare for when they are home).

Any tips would be hugely appreciated so I can go and get what I need in my short breaks away from the hospital.
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 10:27am
Firstly, you are doing amazingly! And remember while you might not be able to get much out expressing, the girls will be much better at it once they're able to nurse properly.

Do you know if you're getting a letdown when you express? Could be that the milk is there but just not letting down properly - there are some tips for speeding up letdown on kellymom - most of those relate to breastfeeding but there are some tips for expressing too. My number one tip for increasing letdown is to relax, if you're tensing up waiting for it to happen then it delays it more - sorry easier said than done I know!

There's a whole bunch of herbal remedies for increasing supply (the official term is "galactagogues") - some info on the kellymom site again here.

Check out the Breastmates site too, she's got a couple of different breastfeeding teas and fenugreek seed supplements.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 10:28am
Oh and in terms of specific foods, keep your fluids up and try a trail mix of nuts and seeds

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 10:41am
Are you expressing in your room or in the NNU?
I know in Welly they had this corner partitions in the nurserys where you could express.
I found this much better as I knew the girls were only metres away from me and it was less secluded than the dedicated expressing room/ or my cold empty room.

Also when I did the night express in my bedroom. I kept my camera close at hand so I could flick through the photos I had taken of the girls that day.

I found the Weleda BFing tea to be great. I'm sure NatroPharm do a homeopathic product called 'Milk-Flow' I used both these when I was trying to boost my supply.

Edited by tishy
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 10:44am
good point about the let down... when i had to express colostrum for eden in hospital i used to look at pics of my boys and think about the kids... oh and some nice relaxing music too helped... that i'm afraid is the limit of my expressing help... those sites weegee mentioned looked good!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 10:48am
i dont know how prem or anything your bubs are but was thinking that if you do that kangaroo care thingy then just after that might be a good time to express, your body might be feeling especially motherly and milk giving.. (hope that makes sense). and have you talked to the hospital staff about it - they should have some good ideas toos.
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 11:11am
Wow, I second what weegee said, you're doing a super job. I know how hard it is expressing for bubs while they're in NNU. And she's right as well with no matter how hard or how little you express while you are apart from them, feeding them when they're with you is sooo much easier,

I really enjoy those flavoured instant oats/porridge sachets that you can buy in the boxs - add milk, microwave for 90 seconds and eat. Quick, easy and good for milk on two fronts - dairy + oats! Umm, almonds, up & go or primo extremo drinks, meat at lunch time, enough water, muesli bars, cheese, all helped, and if you have somebody who really wants to hellp, get them to make you a batch of good soup with lots of veg and stuff in it - another super easy option (all I had time for when I got home was reach into fridge, pour a mug full and zap).
Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 1:12pm
Well done on the expressing. I know just hard it can be when you've got to express for a little one in NICU. But in your case you've got two and you're doing so well!

Definitely go for the oats! I swore by a bowl of porridge for breakfast everyday but I didn't discover that trick until Emily was home and fully bfing and I wasn't expressing anymore. Wish I'd known sooner. But yeah definitely give it a go and porridge is so quick and easy to whip up and eat when you're in a hurry. Try to not get hungry and put off eating when you're in a rush because that can really affect milk supply. I found so long as I always kept plenty of snacks handy it really helped - pretty much what flutterby said - keep plenty of things like nuts, muesli bars, biscuits and fruit etc on hand to snack on during the day when you're at the hospital, plenty of water and milk drinks, and rest up when you can. Also meat and eggs for protein helps too if you are able to whip up some sandwiches the night before to take to the hospital for your lunch e.g. ham and egg, chicken/mayo, beef and pickle, egg and cheese - anything like that. The general rule of thumb - drink when you're thirsty, eat when you're hungry - even if that means you feel like you're constantly eating all day. Hope that helps

Missed MC July 2011
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 2:46pm
Thanks ladies. I express either downstairs in the NNU feeding room, or in my room, depending on when it is - the NNU is pretty packed at the moment so it's kind of hard trying to get a little bit of privacy. I don't have many photos of the girls, but I can close my eyes and see them I don't have any trouble with let down, it's just the amount. I have started on Spirulina and have Milk Flow spray, the lactation consultant has started talking about Domperidome as well The girls have had 1 decent breast feed each day for the last 3 days and after feeding them (and they check their stomach contents to see how much they get, to an extent) then I can get around 60mls from expressing.

I snack a lot on fruit and muesli bars during the day (cos man I get hungry!!!), but will try porridge for breakfast as well - I have the sachet ones, which are easy.

Meat and eggs etc and sandwiches made the night before - I sleep at the hospital, and only come home every now and then if I need to do something on the net, or the occasional night at home if I'm getting too stressed and exhausted up there.

I will definitely have a look at those sites though weegee!! I can't wait until the girls come home...probably another 2 or so weeks yet though...
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 3:02pm
I don't have any tips I never had enough work and none of the 50 thousand remedies I tried helped. But I just wanted to say go you for persevering!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 3:41pm
LOL thanks Lisa. I figure I have nothing to lose by giving it a try, nothing I am going to try will hurt me or the girls, so why not?
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 9:04pm
Domperodone is great for your milk supply and once you are feeding the girls on the breast, your body will begin to make more. When they first start feedign off you they will probably feed very very often, it is just natures way of getting your milk supply up, so don't be shocked!

If you can, get in touch with the multiple birth club and talk to someone from there, and also ring La Leche as they will probably be able to put you in contact with someone who has been in a similar situation. Well done and good luck!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:14am
Domperidone is the only thing that helped me!

http://www.drjacknewman.com/ has a lot of really useful info about BF.

Also as others have said, porridge for breakfast is great and a complan milkshake in the afternoon as well.

Good luck, you are doing an amazing job
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 10:01pm
Complan is great for milk supply, and blessed thistle capsules.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2009 at 8:42pm
Domperidone is the way to go - you need a prescription for it from your m/w or GP. I went from not having a drop of milk at 10 days to making 800ml a day within a few weeks of taking it. My supply shot up at first and then increased slowly until I was getting around 900ml in a day.

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2009 at 9:26pm
I took blessed thistle capsules and found they helped. Apparently it thickens your milk (rather than increases the supply). It can be quite costly. The cheapest I've found is the Vits-Fit brand which is around $13 for 80 tabs.

Good luck..sounds like you're doing a fab job! Hope your girls come home soon.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 4:13pm
So I have been started on Domperidone....second day of it today, so hopefully it will work. We are doing breast and bottle feeding (with expressed breast milk) and that's what we want to do for as long as possible (I breast feed one, DH bottle feeds the other at nights).

I am taking the porridge from here back to the hospital today, so hopefully that will also do it's thing. I'm eating lots of nuts and seeds, and Milk Flow spray, and will have a look for Blessed Thistle as well....
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 8:02pm
I found the Milk Flow helped when I was expressing for the gremlins, and when I was expressing for another bub and full time feeding lil miss.

Good on you for putting in so much effort! It's bloody hard work!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2009 at 3:25pm
Fennel and fenugreek tea is brilliant.

Also tigers milk never fails!! here is the recipe

1 cup full cream milk
1/2 cup acidophyllis yoghurt
1 Tablespoon complan powder (or milk powder)
1 banana
honey
1 tsp yeast flakes
+/- ice cream

Mix in a blender makes 3-4 cups. Drink over the day.

Walnuts are also good. I think most natural fatty foods would help. Nuts, avocados, high fat milk etc

Edited by Kellie

Post Reply Post Reply