FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCommon Breastfeeding Myths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:01pm
3 days is quick for your milk to come in after a section, I had Spencer on a Monday morning and didn't get any milk till the Friday afternoon.

I just know I had an oversupply cos of what it was doing to his rear end and the engorgement. The spraying though has calmed down so would make sense that the two would be related but I don't actually know.

Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:29pm
My milk came in on day 2!!!!! with a c-section! I couldnt believe it and the midwives didnt at first either. Then they saw him feeding and realised that he was getting a lot more than just colostrum....and then the engorgement hit that night....I was hoping it wasnt going to happen (denial is lovely!)
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by melnel melnel wrote:

I dont think I saw "if you have a c-section you cant breastfeed". I was so worried I wasnt going to be able to feed as I had a section, didnt get skin to skin with Jake for over 2 hours and his tummy was so full of mucus he would latch on and suck for a couple of seconds and go back to sleep. With lots of hard work for the first 3 days of waking for feeding, hand expressing and then pumping every 3 hours my milk did come in.. phew.

I was also told that leaking does not mean you have oversupply just an active letdown.. is this true?

yep. True.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Pregnancy makes your boobs soft and saggy as during pregnancy the fat deposits disappear to make way for milk production, so even those who don't bf end up with saggy soft ones. (or so someone told me anyway, could be another myth to make us feel better)

no, thats ture also, the pregnancy part anyway... And the pregnancy makes your ligaments soften, hence sag.
mumtooboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 10:57am
Originally posted by melnel melnel wrote:

I was also told that leaking does not mean you have oversupply just an active letdown.. is this true?

You can have one and not the other but they usually go hand in hand. I had both and contrary to what people might think oversupply is not fun. LOL My overactive letdown didn't settle until about 11 months (it usually only lasts for 12 weeks or so) and my oversupply problem was around for about 8 months.

These are the ones I posted on another site, some will already have been mentioned:

BF is hard (okay so it's not always "easy" but easier than faffing with formula, especially at 2am)
Bubs is feeding frequently so I don’t have enough milk
I have a hungry baby so I need to top up with formula
My breasts are empty and need time to “refill”
My baby is fussy at the breast I must not have enough milk
I didn’t have any milk for 4 days so had to give formula because bubs was starving
I didn't leak milk/colostrum during pregnancy so I might not be able to do it
Bubs isn’t putting on a lot of weight, I must not have enough milk or the "quality" isn't good enough
Pumping output is indicative of supply
I can only pump 20ml after 40 minutes, I must not have enough milk
I have small/large breasts so can't
BF isn't painful(okay so maybe in the beginning but I think we all agree that few of us actually DON"T experience pain at first before going on to relatively pain free)
BF and FF are interchangeable and compatible (this of course is not usually the case)
If you have thrush or mastitis you must stop feeding
There is no point breastfeeding after 12 months because your milk turns to water and has no nutritional benefit for the toddler
Boys can not be solely breastfed as they drink way more than girls.... boys need formula.
You can't breast feed while pregnant
Breastfeeding toddlers encourage over dependancy
BF is demanding (What's demanding about sitting down on the sofa, lying in bed, having a drink in a cafe and feeding bubs, which you are kind of "forced" to do if you are bf?)
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 12:49pm

Here is one that people will try and tell you. (namely shop owners or buzy bodies)

It's illegal to BF in public.

Thats a load of crud and don't let anyone tell you that cause it is in fact illegal to stop or prevent a mother from feeding her baby according to the Human Rights Act.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:03pm
thats interesting about the leaking and active let down. I leaked HEAPS at the beginning, had a very sore let down and a HUGE supply (never been an issue for me). Things settled down (as they do) and recently the little monkey has been feeding like crazy (not sure of the cause, thats another post, although it seems very much like a good ol growth spurt now I think about it). Anyway...the result....we are leaking HEAPS with every feed now. Oh joy ! little monkey has increased mummy's supply. So has he also stimulated more let down?
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by mumtooboys mumtooboys wrote:

I didn’t have any milk for 4 days so had to give formula because bubs was starving

This one I am always amazed to read/hear, it was totally drummed into us at antenatal as well as every book etc that you read telling you about it. I find it hard to think women still don't know about it. My milk was very late coming with Spencer, cos of c/s, but I didn't panic and the mw didn't panic when he lost over 10% of his bodyweight either, cos we knew it was normal and he would put it back on.

Originally posted by mumtooboys mumtooboys wrote:

If you have thrush or mastitis you must stop feeding

With mastitis the worse thing you could do would be to stop feeding. I've had it a few times and although painful each feed or express actually did make it feel a bit better.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

3 days is quick for your milk to come in after a section, I had Spencer on a Monday morning and didn't get any milk till the Friday afternoon.

I think all the expressing helped, I was basically feeding and expressing for 2 hours and then sleeping for 1 hour and getting up and doing it all again!

I just know I had an oversupply cos of what it was doing to his rear end and the engorgement. The spraying though has calmed down so would make sense that the two would be related but I don't actually know.

What does it do to their bottom when you have oversupply?

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 2:40pm
His poo wasn't the thick creamy consistency that newborn poo should be, it actually looked like dark urine and was as watery as urine but had a small amount of the fatty seedy stuff floating in it. Sorry kind of gross description Later on when he was getting a lot of foremilk cos of being lazy and not working for the hindmilk he ended up with green poos, bright green like he had been eating grass.

HeyJude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyJude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 5:00pm
Here are some myths that I often come across...

You are a bad mother if you don't breastfeed

If it hurts, you are not doing it correctly

Formula fed children are less intelligent (this myth is based on out-of-date research on old fashioned formula in the days before it was fortified with DHA, neucleotides and zinc)

Bottle feeding is lots of faffing around (it takes 10 minutes to feed a baby with a bottle versus 25-40 for a full breastfeed - of course every baby is different)
BTW it takes DH just 10 minutes at the end of each day to prepare all the bottles for the next 24 hours and it takes under a minute to warm the bottle prior to feeding.

We can help women by being breastfeeding Nazis and forcing them to breastfeed even if they feel that it is not right for them. All the stress that that this creates for the mother and child is worth it.

Here are some breastfeeding facts...

If you publicly breastfeed lots of people will be disgusted by you and think they have the right to judge you. If you publicly feed your child formula lots of people will be disgusted and think they have the right to judge you.

Whilst not for everyone, breastfeeding is a beautiful experience for most women.

Although it might not always seem like it - there are lots of people who are compassionate and non-judgmental.

Edited by HeyJude
queenb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by HeyJude HeyJude wrote:

Bottle feeding is lots of faffing around (it takes 10 minutes to feed a baby with a bottle versus 25-40 for a full breastfeed - of course every baby is different)

Miss L feeds for 10 or so mins ... on the boob
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by belindajane belindajane wrote:

Yep, never had longer than 10minutes.. usually its only 3-6minutes these days ETA on the boob that is..

Edited by anna_bana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by anna_bana anna_bana wrote:

Originally posted by belindajane belindajane wrote:

Yep, never had longer than 10minutes.. usually its only 3-6minutes these days ETA on the boob that is..

And...its lazy "faffing around". you dont need to worry that its sterilised, the right temp etc....and you dont need to clean up after. Man, I wish everything could be that simple

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 9:12pm

You are a bad mother if you don't breastfeed

If it hurts, you are not doing it correctly

Formula fed children are less intelligent (this myth is based on out-of-date research on old fashioned formula in the days before it was fortified with DHA, neucleotides and zinc)

BTW it takes DH just 10 minutes at the end of each day to prepare all the bottles for the next 24 hours and it takes under a minute to warm the bottle prior to feeding.

We can help women by being breastfeeding Nazis and forcing them to breastfeed even if they feel that it is not right for them. All the stress that that this creates for the mother and child is worth it.

Here are some breastfeeding facts...

If you publicly breastfeed lots of people will be disgusted by you and think they have the right to judge you. If you publicly feed your child formula lots of people will be disgusted and think they have the right to judge you.

Whilst not for everyone, breastfeeding is a beautiful experience for most women.

Although it might not always seem like it - there are lots of people who are compassionate and non-judgmental.

Thanks for your positive feelgood vibes in our breastfeeding thread.

If you would like to get a bee in your bonnet over "brestfeeding Nazis" I suggest you start a new thread elsewhere.

This thread is to help dispel some of the common myths over breastfeeding to help mums when they start out as they get alot of misunformation and myths.

I am PAID to help mothers with breastfeeding, so yeah, I guess narrow minded folk might think I am a BF Nazi, however, In my work, I also help women to wean and formula feed as well. No judgement, just help and correct information regarding their CHOICE.

I have spent alot of time doing study and reserch and have some qualifications in this field, and am registered and certified.

I am pleased you are happy with your choice, but we are not "bashing the bottle" in here, so please don't bash the breast. This thread was started for world breastfeeding week, not to annoy or offend bottlefeeders.

For the record, I have been a bottle feeder also, so yes, I can speak from both sides of the couch.

Don't even get me started.
HeyJude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyJude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 3:00pm
My comment about the breastfeeding nazis that are out there was not directed at anyone here. I apologise for not making that more clear.

" In my work, I also help women to wean and formula feed as well. No judgement, just help and correct information regarding their CHOICE." That's great. Thats why I said that there are people out there who are non-judgemental. When I was struggling with breastfeeding my second child, Jude, I was looking for help from someone more like you.

You quoted me as saying you were "bashing the bottle" but I never said that. You are directly mis-quoting me.

I just want to clarify that I am not bashing the breast as you have accused me of. I clealy state that breastfeeding is positive for most women. I certainly plan on giving it a good go when my next baby is born. I don't think that I said anything negative in my post about breastfeeding.

My first child took ages to breastfeed and my SIL experienced the same thing but, as I said, all children are different.

I was sharing some common myths about feeding. I did not realise that we are only allowed to talk about one type of feeding. I will be sure to read (between the lines of) the OP more closely next time.

I am sorry that you feel the need to get so defensive on this subject. It was not my intention to offend you. While I trust that you would never react so harshly had I been a fragile new mum sitting in a hospital bed, unfortunately there are some that do.

I am not talking about this forum or anyone here, but in society in general, there can be a lack of support for women who make choices that don't conform. JMO.

Edited by HeyJude
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 3:26pm
Just to add, I am a FF and will be with this one but have really enjoyed reading this thread and hope that in the end it makes me alot more supportive etc of those around me who do BF. Its also great to be "educated" on the myths so I am not one of the people helping to spread them!

Well done for this thread - even if I was a little concerned that the breastfeeding section was here to stay

HeyJude - there is a bottle feeding thread that you jump in on as there are heaps of people in there who feel the same us you re society and being judged.

Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 6:01pm
Sometimes my wee boy takes ages to have his breast feed, if he is hungry he will feed for up to 40 minutes. But honestly I don't care at all. He likes to hold my hand while I feed him and look at me and smile. He likes to come off the breast and have a wee talk sometimes too. I think its the most beautiful thing and I know that when he is weaned I will miss it.

Breast feeding is time out for me, and I'm one of those naughty mums who will let bub fall asleep on the boob if he is so inclined - a great bonus! He will also go down awake in his cot so I don't think it's done him any harm.

I haven't had an easy time with breast feeding and because of oversupply issues but persisting with breast feeding has been so worth it and now I find it fun and easy. I visited a Lactation Consultant in the early days when I was having trouble and she was a god-send and really helped me with my breast feeding journey. She was actually more helpful and supportive than my midwife in the end. I would advise any mums having trouble with breast feeding to visit a Lactation Consultant ASAP!!!

Edited by Hope
Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 6:25pm
HeyJude said:

"If you publicly breastfeed lots of people will be disgusted by you and think they have the right to judge you. If you publicly feed your child formula lots of people will be disgusted and think they have the right to judge you."

I haven't actually had any nasty comments or sideways looks re: me feeding my 5 month old in public but I think If anyone finds my breast feeding my baby in public disgusting, they should just get over it! This is 2009 not 1959. Switch on the telly to C4 and you will see music videos way more offensive than a 5 second flash of my nipple! People seem more bothered by my buggy being in the way in cafes than by my tits, lol!

Edited by Hope
kathamill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 4:50pm

I was sharing some common myths about feeding. I did not realise that we are only allowed to talk about one type of feeding. I will be sure to read (between the lines of) the OP more closely next time.

um, the topic title is myths about brestfeeding. nothing much "between the lines" there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>