FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOnline Grocery Shopping Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Online Grocery Shopping Tips
    Posted: 27 February 2009 at 10:17am
Morning

We are now going to shop online as we find we are saving alot of money, when we've done it in the past. However I'm having trouble getting some kind of order in the way I do it. So I was hoping that those of you who shop this way have an easier way of putting things into your trolley.

Usually I go thru the aisles and select what I need that way.

Sometimes I'll go directly to the specials and select anything we need from there.

Today I thought I'd stand in the kitchen with the laptop and go thru the fridge and cupboards and do it that way.

Any hints or tips would be great, we are relatively new to this, but I love it, because of the savings we make.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Sponsored Links

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 10:40am
.Mel I don't have the best way yet either, but I am interested in hearing other peoples tips too!

We have been shopping online for two months now and I have to say I am loving the fact I don't have to trapse around the supermarket anymore!!

At the moment, I make a list as I run out of things and then update my online shopping list each couple of days and just hold it there until I am ready to "purchase" and actually place the order.

I only shop monthly aswell, purely for the fact that I HATE food shopping with a passion! I buy meat from the Mad Butcher though once a month and veges weekly from the local green grocers.
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 11:31am
I make my shopping list as usual (writing things down as I need them during the course of the week), and rather than browse the isles online I do a search on each item so it takes me straight to it.. I do sometimes stray from the list, but am less likely to if I stick to it.

With the foodtown online site you can also choose to save your shopping list for future shops (to save you re-adding the same things every time)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:02pm
What are the prices like compared to the actual supermarket?

Do you find you save money because of not having temptation buying?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:04pm
peachy I like the way you shop, wish I could do it monthly.
I have regular things I buy so I usually pull up the last list & work off that. I all so check the specials.

The last couple of time I had issues with them, 1 my bread was squashed, so had to go buy more, & had some items swapped for others due to availability. I have had to put on the notes not to get anything else that is not on the list & pack smellies separate, so maybe it is my shopper. I think shopping on line is great but often end up going there to get the stuff I need they don't put in.
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:15pm

Wish we could do this in Tauranga, i'm sure I would save heaps!

my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:25pm
LeahandJoel, I'm from Tga and i've shopped online before, so I'm sure you can too.  Woolworths online deliver.
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:27pm
I don't shop online, but I do have a generic spreadsheet of everything we buy once a fortnight. Then there's also a separate list of all the stuff that's 'once in a while' purchases like razors, shampoo etc that I just check over before going to make sure I don't need anything.
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Aliasmum Aliasmum wrote:

What are the prices like compared to the actual supermarket?

Do you find you save money because of not having temptation buying?

The prices are mostly the same, although I have noticed a price difference between online and my local Foodtown for a couple of things before. The specials are still the same though.

Yes, I'd say it saves money cause you're not impulse buying.

Edited by pepsi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 1:22pm

Oh, might have to look at that, thanks.

scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 3:49pm
I search for items too, rather than browsing.

I suggest selecting 'no substitutes' because even though they say they'll substitute with items of equal or greater value, this week (first time we'd shopped online in NZ) they subbed F&F yoghurt for Greek yoghurt, and chicken thighs for chicken breasts - both were of lesser value.

But it was great - the delivery guy came up our stairs and delivered the groceries into the kitchen, and I avoided the dreaded weekly supermarket shop! And for some reason I hate meal planning for a trip to the supermarket (there's something about writing out the list that I just hate) but I don't seem to have any problem with doing it on here.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 3:52pm
Thanks girls! Seems like doing a generic list is the way to go.

I have found that we've saved anywhere from $100 - $120 a shop which to me is fantastic. That also includes the delivery.

Check out this website, it gives you the codes for the free delivery or $5 delivery... I believe that some of them still work.
Discount Codes
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

sottise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sottise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 7:03pm
Just a note on subs - with Foodtown / WW you can add comments regarding the subs you'll allow. Like we specify only espresso grind coffee and no beef flavoured cat food. :)

I usually shop from the specials and just add in other bits and pieces I know I need. If the fruit and veg specials are rubbish we go asian supermarket shopping for those.

And don't be afraid to query a bung order - usually they'll send out the right stuff and either pick up the wrong / dodgy items or let you keep them gratis.

I just had ours delivered tonight - so much easier and cheapier, especially considering we have no car.

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 8:42pm
With Subs, I always let them know that No White Bread. Everything must be Watties! Also I got a Frozen Chicken and said that I don't want anything smaller than an 18...so they do read them occasionally.

Ours was $124 today that included beer for the husbo. I haven't done the F&V shopping yet so that will probably be another $20!

I used the YP2009 code for free delivery.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 10:12pm
Gosh wonder if we have this in Dunedin - we are naughty and go also every day to the supa for things for dinner (although I have plenty in the freezer to choose from) I find going every day expensive but I don't get a chance to do a big shop with hubby working 7 days a week!
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 11:51pm
I'd love to shop online, but our supermarket here only delivers on a thursday and the spots fill up so quick :(
Alex, Thomas and Lily

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 8:39am

So had a look last night and I can do it here....yay!!! Now just have to do it, started a list last night so will see how we go.

queenb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 12:27pm
there's also a new food shopping site in Auckland www.fooddirect.co.nz, only fresh foods, but worth a look. I've just registered so will try them out for meat, fruit & veges.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by pepsi pepsi wrote:

I make my shopping list as usual (writing things down as I need them during the course of the week), and rather than browse the isles online I do a search on each item so it takes me straight to it.. I do sometimes stray from the list, but am less likely to if I stick to it.

With the foodtown online site you can also choose to save your shopping list for future shops (to save you re-adding the same things every time)

That's what I do too.  I write my shopping list and then use the quicklist search to find everything I want.  I often also google "woolworths free delivery" to see if I can find a discount delivery code online before I put my order through.

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by belindajane belindajane wrote:

there's also a new food shopping site in Auckland www.fooddirect.co.nz, only fresh foods, but worth a look. I've just registered so will try them out for meat, fruit & veges.

Let us know what thats like!
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>