FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat’s in the crockpot today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 5:53pm
In the last week I have done 2 chicken curries in the crockpot, and corned beef 2 nights ago. Tomorrow I am doing a bacon hock soup.

I'll share a lil secret that I have recently stumbled across. I decided to do google searches for new / updated crock pot recipes and found this site to be great... 3,484 crock pot recipes (you may need to convert to metric from imperial...) and they rule.

You can go here to look.

Enjoy!!

Sponsored Links

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:23pm
Thanks Tara - looks great. I love that you can search by ingredients.
Mum to two wee boys
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:28pm
I like the fact they are rated by everyday people and they can leave comments about how they improved etc..

Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:35pm
oh wow, thanks for the link. I have a slow cooker and am not a confident enough to experiment....and my family are not fans of casseroles....thanks heaps!
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:05pm
we are having the peach and pork recipe out of the Alison Holst book tonight
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 3:09pm
I am trying to find a good recipe for a soup that uses a bacon hock. I also have chicken stock on hand and kings soup mix. I have loads of lentils (split peas and red lentils).

Any ideas how to make an awesome crockpot soup with the above ingredients, plus seasonings?

susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 2:27pm
Maggi cook in the pot Beef Goulash
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 2:45pm
Tonight its corned beef....yummo my fav!!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 4:31pm
Beef Olives. They smell so good.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 5:01pm
Ooo can you tell me how you make and cook your beef olives Mel as I haven't had them for years and would love to give it a go (always looking for more ideas for using my crockpot)!
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 5:37pm
I made the rice pudding yesterday and oh my gosh it was soooo good!!
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by ellen ellen wrote:

Ooo can you tell me how you make and cook your beef olives Mel as I haven't had them for years and would love to give it a go (always looking for more ideas for using my crockpot)!

Sure here's a link to two recipes that we have used, when not using the Crockpot

Beef Olives - Our fave version

This one has mushrooms can be done in crockpot

This is from Joan Bishops NZ Crockpot and Slow Cooker Cookbook:

700g Topside steak cut into thin slices
OR just use schnitzel

Crockpot
Low 8-10hrs
High 4-5hrs

Slow Cooker
Low 7-8hrs
High 3.5hrs - 4 hrs.

Stuffing
1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs
100g mushrooms, finely chopped
2 TBsp melted butter
1/2 small onion finely chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
2 TBsp fresh parsley, chopped
pepper
milk, a little to mix

Sauce
1 pkt Oxtail Soup
3 TBsp sherry
1/2 cup water

1. Combine the breadcrumbs, mushrooms, butter, onion, thyme, parsley and pepper. Mix lightly until just combined, adding a little milk if necessary.

2. Divide the mixture evenly between each piece of steak and roll up, securing with toothpicks. Fold or tuck the edges over at each end and secure again with toothpicks.

3. Place the beef olives in the cooker.

4. Mix the oxtail soup and sherry to a smooth paste. Add the water and stir to combine. Spoon over the meat in the cooker.

5. Cover with lid and cook following the times and settings above.

6. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 2:05pm
Hi Tara
I saw you wanted a recipe for bacon hock soup - here's mine! I have a Russell Hobbs 6 litre slow cooker so you might have to adjust the quantities to suit your sized one.

Bacon & Vege Soup

Ingredients:
1 bacon hock
1 packet Kings Hearty Vege soup mix (but you could probably use any)
about 9-10 cups hot water
Veges! - i usually use potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, swede, leeks, capsicum, onion or spring onions etc.

Method:
Place bacon hock into bottom of slow cooker. Add soup mix and 9-10 cups hot water (adjust to size of cooker). Stir. Cut up veges (either by hand or food processor) into little pieces (or bigger if you like chunky soup) and place in cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat falls off the bone (or on high for about 3-4 hours i think). Take the meat out and cut up into pieces and return to the cooker to heat through again. Eat & enjoy!

I find there is enough lentils etc in the soup mix although you could easily add more if you wanted. This recipe makes a lot of soup - enough for 2 dinners and lunches during the week :) and is so delicious!

Edited by want2bmum
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 3:00pm

We had corned beef last night, tonight I was going to make curried or deviled sausages but I have only just washed the crockpot now as someone didn't do it last night .

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 7:55pm
Thanks .Mel will give that a go - looks yummy!

I made a chocolate self saucing pudding on Saturday night which was really good - had never done it before and was a bit dubious.

We have some home killed meat and pulled out what was marked corned beef but also had bolar roast on the packaging. Took a gamble and cooked it like corned beef. Turned out it was pot roast but tasted OK. Unfortunately was hanging out for corned beef all day!
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 3:27pm
Pork chops and peaches
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 4:19pm
i'm being brave tonight! cooking a roast pork..have no idea how it will turn out - hopefully good! up until now i have only cooked soup and corned beef lol
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 9:56am
How did the roast pork turn out want2bmum?
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 1:40pm
it was really tasty! but i think it got a bit overcooked because it was really stringy....good for todays sandwiches though! i cooked it in an oven bag (what my partners mum told me to do) so next time i think i will leave the bag out! oh and i didnt take the crackling off first which i must do next time because it got too wet and didnt crackle :(
shelleybean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelleybean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 9:33pm
Well frist thing tomorrow morning I am doing a Vege and Beef bone Soup - cant wait as last week I did a Vege and Chicken Soup and that was just to die for... Gotta love The Crockpot

Edited by shelleybean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>