FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDreading today.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreading today.
    Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:18pm

They were supposed to have landed 7 minutes ago. Their plane has been delayed. Who you ask? They are DH’s aunt and uncle from Newcastle in the UK. She is his father’s sister.

I don’t want to meet these people. I don’t want them near me or my kids. Why?

They don’t acknowledge me. They don’t acknowledge Conor. They do however acknowledge Craig, Nyah and Cooper; quite simply because well they are DH’s kids. The fact that I’m DH’s wife doesn’t seem to mean much. The fact that I had a son before I met Craig doesn’t seem to mean a lot either, that DH is Conor’s stepfather doesn’t matter either.

DH and I have been together for 9 years, married for 4 in May. They have known about us for that entire time.

At Christmas time they buy Nyah beautiful presents. DH’s parents give Nyah those presents. They “hide” them in with their own ones so I don’t know that she’s received a present and Conor hasn’t. This has been happening since Nyah was born. Each year it upsets me more, each year I tell DH how it upsets me. He does NOTHING.

I have the most amazing headache, because I am stressing about this afternoon. We have been told that we are expected to go DH’s parent’s house for a bbq. So I am meant to sit in their house with these people who I’ve never met, yet despise more than anything.

I’ve been sitting here trying to work out how I can prepare Conor for this. The comment has been made that they will be bringing clothes and gifts over from the UK, and I know that there will be nothing for Conor. On Saturday I tried to talk to DH about it, tried to explain to him how I was feeling about today, he just said that it would be ok. But it won’t, I’ve already decided that. If DH doesn’t say anything or stand up for my son, I’ll be so hurt and angry, and I don’t think that I’ll ever be able to forgive him.

Mum offered for Conor to go their house, so he wouldn’t be put into an uncomfortable situation, because he can’t handle those very well. He needs to feel safe. What will that achieve though? My parents are really worried about today too; they know Conor better than any body.

I need some advice, how do I “deal” with these people? What do I do if they are horrible or indifferent to Conor? What do I do if they are the same to me? What do I do? I have to expect the worst, it’s in my nature, and it’s the way I handle things. I’m normally quite a strong person, I’ve had to be; Conor and I are have been to hell and back in the past. Today I feel weak and miserable and scared for my baby.

Remember too, that DH’s parents are just as bad as these people. They are very indifferent to Conor; they don’t treat him like one of the family. I get along with them because I have to.
Example: For Easter Nyah got two Pumpkin Patch T-shirts and allsorts of chocolate. Cooper got PP jeans and a polo shirt. Conor got a t-shirt from The Warehouse and one hollow Easter egg.

I really feel stuck at the moment. Help!
We are supposed to be going over there at 5.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Sponsored Links

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:22pm
If it was me, I'd leave your DH to go on his own and take ALL the kids off and do your own thing. Let him explain to them, he's not going to do it unless he's left in a tight spot!

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:27pm
Also (just had a less horrid idea to everyone ) maybe you could get your DH to suggest that instead of buying cooper and nyah presents, they deposit money into their bank accounts (if you have them) that way no one has to know they're favouring them, and they can still treat their favourites.

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:38pm
OOOh they say you can choose your friends but ya get lumbered with your in-laws don't they? It's something along those lines anyway
Have no suggestions other than those made by Alia as I am rubbish at confrontaion or uncomfortable situations. I would keep my distance taking all the children with me, your son is as much part of the family, and your husband publicly said that to his family at your wedding in his commitment to you.
Take a bottle of wine (always the most useful suggestion I can make) grit your teeth and have a pre agreed reason to leave early or a signal to initiate leaving (if I scratch my nose with my left hand it means I am about to explode and we need to leave)
Good luck and I really hope it is not as bad as you are expecting
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:39pm
I think it was nice of your parents to suggest Conor going to their place, but then it's only making the situation more noticeable with Conor, and only Conor, not being there. He will grow up thinking that anything to do with Craig's family, he's not involved in or invited to. And being the oldest, he'll pick up on that. I hate going to inlaw gatherings, and it's not nearly as bad as what you have to put up with.

I probably would bail, and not go or let any of the kids go. If Craig is upset by this, then perhaps he'll realise how much of a big deal it is to you, with how they treat Conor and how that makes you feel.

I feel for you Mel, all the best hun!
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:47pm
I would go but if they do anything out of line like giving gifts to everyone except Connor then I would take all the kids and leave. If they ask why then just straight out tell them cos it doesn't sound like your DH is going to.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:15pm
Grab the kids and come hang out with me, my family have all abandoned me so the gremlins and I are just hanging out.
Failing that, fake a migraine. Or faint. Or both. They sound like poisonous people, I wouldn't want ANY of my kids near them.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by AliaDawn AliaDawn wrote:

Also (just had a less horrid idea to everyone ) maybe you could get your DH to suggest that instead of buying cooper and nyah presents, they deposit money into their bank accounts (if you have them) that way no one has to know they're favouring them, and they can still treat their favourites.

I like that - be the bigger person tho and say to them AND his parents!!!! Look all we appreciate the gifts but as there are three children in our family in fiture please send no presents unless you can cater for all of the children.....or the bank account thing.

Make sure YOU present DH and you as a united front! and remind them that Conor IS Dhs son in his eyes and while you cant force them to involve him it would be nice if they acknowledgd your family unit as a whole.

Btw we kinda have the reverse....stepgrandchild gets spoilt rotten and bought stuff for no reason...we struggle to get stuff from that side (DHs) for their only natural grandchild. Not trying to take away from step one but its not fair in the reverse either...
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:40pm
I've decided that we'll go. I told Conor while DH was in the shower, that if he feels uncomfortable at any stage that he is to tell me and we'll leave straight away.

Sister is on stand by to pick us up if need be.

If I have anything to do with it we'll be home by 7! 2hrs including travel time is enough!
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:45pm
Hugs Mel, hope everything goes ok.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:47pm
If you get too stranded, I have chocolate! No car to come get you, but I have chocolate
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:49pm
sorry didnt read what everyone else replied - but my advice when dealing withsucky relatvies is to get drunk! i do it at my inlaws allll the time... only way to cope without making a scene... best of luck with it...   

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:53pm
good luck - i hope that maybe the rellies just dont know what a great kid connor is yet....
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:09pm
inmy family, it is really mixed. and we would NEVER treat the "extra" kid like that - in fact when my uncle remarried, before we had even met the kids of his new wife, we bought them presents as well as the presents for my cousins.
I would honestly leave if it gets nasty - you have the duty to protect your kids. and that behaviour is just nasty
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:10pm
Hope it goes well, we are in a similar situation to your in-laws, my brother has a new partner who is lovely and she has a daughter from a previous relationship, and a lot of it is that we aren't exactly sure how to treat her.

Is she my niece the same as my brothers own children? Do we acknowledge her birthday and give Christmas presents?

Maybe you need to be clear with your expectations to DH and have him explain it to his family.

Personally I would go with your DH and present a united front, and support him.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:20pm
Good luck Mel!
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:25pm

Man inlaws can drive you balmy!

I would go ... but then I dont mind confrontation to protect my own  you never know ... they may be extra nice in person .. Ive found that people can be nasty behind your back but they find it harder when you are right there!

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:28pm
maybe seeing you guys in the flesh will help them realise that you are part of the family ??? trying to think positive thoughts!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:36pm
Oh Mel... that sucks in a huge way.

I love Bizzy's suggestion but other than that, I hope you can let them know that it is hurtful that they ignore poor Conor.

xo
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:48pm
Yeah I like Bizzy's suggestion too! I have a bottle in the fridge! Might sneak that in my bag.

Thank you for all your kind and helpful words! You are all wonderful! But you knew that

Ohhh does anyone wanna come with me!??? No? Hmm thought as much.

Right I'll BBL to debrief you all!
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>