FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs it just me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it just me?
    Posted: 23 February 2008 at 8:57pm
Or are kids clothes getting more expensive

I'll give you an example. I brought Nyah two tops and a pair of very stylee shorts. Granted they were from TNT, but it cost me about $10.

Then tonight I was flicking thru the JK and PP catalogues and thought I'd see what I could buy for $10.. In the JK one I found a belt for $12 and a okish top!! I also found an awesome pair of girls jeans for $30!!! I nearly fell off the couch.   I pay $30 for my jeans. I would never pay that much for a pair of jeans for a 5yr old girl!! who buy the time winter comes would have probably grown another couple of inches.

Why are kids clothes so expensive? Ok I did chose the two of the more stylee shops as an example, but it seems that's where most people buy their kids clothes from. How can they justify charging that much.

Admittedly TnT's clothes quality isn't great, but they have some very cool stuff at the moment, and when they have sales you can get some nice pieces very cheap!

One of my fave shops now is Cotton on Kids, especially for Nyah, I can get some lovely things for her from the outlet store costing between $5- $10.

Don't even get me started on Cooper's size clothes! OMG!!!

Right nuff said...

Have you girls noticed it??
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Sponsored Links

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:03pm
Sure have. As a result, I don't buy stuff from Patch...I leave that to my mother! LOL! Yay for Nana's. JK seems really over the top price-wise ATM.

I didn't even look in TnT for months when Elle was born as I thought it was cheap and nasty but we are finding it great at the mo. Really cute stuff and it is washing and wearing very well, better in fact than our JK / farmers stuff.

My only gripe is that the sizing is too big for my wee girl and it just feels wrong to put her in size 3-6 months!
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:05pm
I refuse to buy stuff from Farmers now.. the stuff we've got namely onesies have stretched and are just gross.

Postie Plus in Royal Oak have some cute stuff for kids. Again, a tad overpriced.

TnT is my shop choice at the moment.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:06pm
LOL. The Oh! Baby Forum is now just the Mel and Fiona forum. Man we must be boring! LOL.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:11pm
LOl Im boring too!
Love T&T sales! I love PP clothes, and love having a MIL who buys tonnes of things there each season fr Isla! They are incredibly expensive tho!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:26pm
Well I won't tell you how much we paid for a dress for Maddie in Noumea...the words "French" and "Boutique" should be enough to give a clue though! hehehehe.

But seriously....yeah PP and JK are more expensive but for nice gear I prefer the quality. For day care stuff then we tend towards Farmers (though the Osh Kosh and YmummaY stuff is gorgeous!) and TnT. We also tend to only buy sale stuff and at the outlets as well so that helps.

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:28pm
LMAO Fiona, I noticed that too actually.. Kellz is here now too.. so it can be our forum for tonight. Everyone will have to catch up tomorrow.

Kellz, my MIL buys Nyah stuff from PP too. Not always to my taste though..
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:29pm
It works well for me as we are one season behind over here so when all the PP NZ stuff goes on sale at the end of the season I buy up large, get it sent to Mums and she sends it here. So I have all the 'new' season stuff but pay way less for it!

Charlotte is really tall and slim and the only place I have found that consistently has jeans/trousers that fit her is PP. And then of course if she has the trousers we have to get the matching top...

Shes in her nursery uniform 5 mornings a week so she wears way less clothes now. I do spend more now on the ones she has- I love Baby Gap (which is pretty darn expensive too!) just can't resist all the cute baby stuff. With Kate I have no excuses- Baby clothes are my weakness- I used to spend a fortune on clothes for me and now its on clothes for them!
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by .Mel .Mel wrote:

Kellz, my MIL buys Nyah stuff from PP too. Not always to my taste though..

Im lucky,..she justs gets me to mark down what I want out of the catulouge! Yay! But stink that we live 3 hrs from an actual PP store- we do have an outlet here tho, and a JK one.
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:37pm
For best quality cheap kids clothes I love k-mart... unfortunately we don't have one here! Warehouse/farmers I find are horrible. They're thin material, they stretch, they don't age well at all (esp farmers!) I've bought a few things from PP/JK on sale... but full price? no way. PP has an outlet store in gisborne, and mum has picked up a few really cheap jeans and stuff from there. (My favourites had a tiny flaw in them... almost a hole but not - really sturdy, great fit and looked great and I think they cost her something like $12)

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:37pm
Hehe can i join in?

We started getting sick of Farmers clothes and the poor quality a wee while back, I found the more mobile Lucas got they didn't seem to last as long (domes on the one-sies are falling off eft, right and centre) and he is jumping sizes ...he's 11 months today (ignore the stupid ticker, not sure why it isn't updating) and he's in size 2's now ..very thickset around his tum tum and hard to find pants with waistbands that aren't too tight.

I agree Mel that TNT is one of our first choices at the moment, although seeing as though Lucas is in 2's the prices have increased dramatically, even when on sale! ...to be honest I haven't really bought anything from PP, leave that up to family as it's out of my budget ...and JK's clothes don't do it for me! (and overpriced)

We have a little asian botique shop in Papakura ...can't recall the name but they have lovely (good quality clothes) for a decent price, they have a shop out in Pukekohe also! And lastly the Warehouse ...sadly MOST of Lucas' clothes he is in atm are from there or Baby Factory sales ...its hard to find decent clothes this time of year when we are sorta in between seasons ...

There ya go, rambled on enough now girls ...but thats my two cents worth
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:48pm
AliaDawn- PM if u ever in Gisborne, and we can have an Oh Baby! Meetup,..lol,...there are 3 of us here!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 9:59pm
OMG I love the Richocet (sp) range at B/F that's all Cooper could wear for the first 3mths. It's so well made. But it shrinks though...so I just contradicted myself! LMAO. (it's the wine).

I haven't brought alot of stuff from Kmart... I try and pick up the branded stuff for the kids when it's on sale. EG: barbie etc for Nyah and Winnie for Cooper.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:02pm
I've been buying from the sales but I recently bought from JK sale and while I thought $9 for 2 long sleeved onsies was greatI didnt expect the sozes to be so random. Tom is a wee guy and the 6-9 month was too small so i reordered 9-12 months and I dont think that would fit either
razzmatazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:03pm
Hi
i have to admit to being a cheap ass now , i buy most of the kids clothes from op shops or savemart. only very occasionally (normally the sales) can i afford to buy them new clothes.
I'd love to be able to afford to buy them all new clothes but it doesnt always work.

did go into tnt today, they have some adorable stuff. i bought willow some tops there in 3 month size a few weeks ago but sadly they too small, silly me with baby brain.so i managed to squeeze her into them twice.

my other daughter is 8 so her clothes have just doubled in price now that shes in the tween sized clothes very frustrating, her clothes as expensive as mine now!

have to agree on warehouse, their quality and selection arent that great. (especially babies)and weird sizing too
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:04pm
i bought 3 items at PP for janaya and it cost me $107!!!!
it was a bit of a splurge and i didnt even look at the price tags.. her dress was almost $50!!
i must admit though, the quality is so much better than the warehouse or farmers. and the adjustable waists are so great, i buy jeans a size too big and just tighten the waistband and readjust as she grows. i find the warehouse sizing is just so off, and the lose shape so quickly.

i bought a whole lot of things on the pp online outlet store for the baby, sooooo much cheaper!
Mummy to two beauties... Formerly Kaiz.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:04pm
I haven't actully bought much for my kids - thank you Nana, but find myself struggling with the prices - not in terms of what i can afford, but what i can justify! jake has a pair of overalls I'm about to sell on trademe. they were given as a gift and are from a japanese designer.   they cost over $300! Problem is - he can't easily undo them himsleves so he wets them. So useless!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:06pm
$300?!! OMG!!
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:07pm
oohhh and cotton on kids is great!
Mummy to two beauties... Formerly Kaiz.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:07pm
Damn I wish we had decent shops here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>