FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChristmas Present Buying (Mini Poll)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas Present Buying (Mini Poll)
    Posted: 06 December 2007 at 11:51am
I've just been sitting here trying to work out what to get the family for Christmas. I'm hopeless when it comes to being organised, and have been known to race around the shops on Christmas Eve getting the last bits and pieces. DH and I have brought the kids presents together but that's all we've done so far.

I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own?

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children?

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present?

What about your parents? Combined or separate?

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles?

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone?

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day?

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other?

That's about it I think... TIA if you answer my nosey questions...

Edited by .Mel
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 12:00pm
We don't ahve a limit on kids presents (but this is the first year we have had one to buy for)

Siblings this year have arranged to only buy for each others children as it was getting ridiculous and none of us knew what to buy each other anyway. My SIL is now expecting so all of us will have kids.

Have also arranged with parents not to bother either they are just gonna buy for Spencer and Spencer sent them and his great gran a calendar from snapfish.

We normally buy for one uncle and aunt on DH's side but this year they suggested we just buy for the kids (fine with me).

We luckily have pak n sav vouchers from Dh's work to buy food but otherwise we budget it as extra (so part of the whole xmas budget rather than the food one)

Sometimes we treat ourselves to a joint present and sometimes we buy each other presents just depends. This year we have bought foo fighter tickets

When we were buying for everyone we use to set a 20 pound limit which is about 60 bucks.

Hope that helps a little

Oh and I would do all the shopping

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 12:02pm
who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own?
I do most of it. But we each did a bit for Daniel and for each other.

Yes and no, we had a roundabout figure and then had ideas about what we wanted to get, it came to about $10 more than our "limit"

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present?
I don't buy for my brother, and BIL doesn't have a partner

Combined

No

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone?
$450ish

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day?
We do pak n save christmas club so our christmas shopping is basically free.. but we just buy as normal each week as well.

We buy for each other. We don't like doing combined presents, we have very different interests so its nice to buy something for each other.

Edited by kebakat
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 12:08pm
I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? By myself mostly, I'll prob go out in Sydney with my sister for last min bits and pieces.

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? Not really, they get one present from us and one from Santa, plus stcking fillers, but it depends what they're into, last year I only spent about $100 all up on the gremlins, this year it's been more like $150-200 each.

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? We don't buy for partners, only siblings

What about your parents? Combined or separate? Usually separate, altho last year I gave them a framed montage of pics of the girls as a combined present.

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? Nope.

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? No idea, but spend roughly $40-$50 each on my brothers, sister and parents.

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? I don't have Xmas day food shopping coz we always have Xmas at Mum and Dads.

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? Nope, we buy nothing for each other.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 12:20pm
I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own?

By myself except MIL who DH buys for..

Don't have any yet but next year we will and yes we will set a limit otherwise I'll send way too much:)

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? For DH's siblings we don't buy, they just do cards at the annual gathering and presents for the children if staying there. (hasn't happened since we have known each other) I buy for my brother..

What about your parents? Combined or separate? Always separate ...though we will buy them a gift combined from the baby from next year i think.

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? No.

I would say about the same as above..40-50 on brother and parents and DH spends less on his Mum:) about 100 depends on finances for DH.

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? I don't have Xmas day food shopping coz we always have Xmas at Mum and Dads(and a family gathering on DH's side at one of the houses but as there are lots and lots of them it ends up alternating people and both sides of that family yearly so you get to host it once every 10 or so years).. (sorry just cut and pasted as it's the same for me)

We buy individually for each other.. and next year will get a present to each other from baby as well......
Mum to two amazing boys!
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 12:44pm
I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? Most of it on my own, Dh hates shopping!

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? We didn't this year and I have gone way overboard. Will probably have a limit next year and definately once no2 comes along.

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? My family (parents, sisters and their hubbys) we draw one person out of a hat and spend $50 on them. So everyone gets a present. We buy for all the children though.

What about your parents? Combined or separate? As above. The in laws, something cheap. They are getting a box of biccies this year.

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? No

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? Normally prob about $300. But I don't even want to add up how much I spent on Ash this year!

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? We have Xmas day at my parents so no food shopping necessary.

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? No we don't buy for each other.
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 1:12pm
I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? I buy for my Family and DP buys for his

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? No

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? No we just buy for the kids.

Separate.

No

$300

We don't have Christmas day at our place.

Think were going to a combined present this year.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 1:21pm

I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? mostly on my own, but this year I am making a lot more of the presents, so that as much shopping to do.

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? not really an exact figure, most of just a general idea.

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? both my brothers are single, so just for my brothers

What about your parents? Combined or separate? combined

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? no- just grandparents

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? $300 (most of it spent on Ella )

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? no Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? buy as we go and do an extra shop a couple of days before

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? we buy each other presents

Good luck with your shopping

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 1:21pm
who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own?
I do all of it. This year I did pretty much all of it online.

Yep, my aim was less than $150 - tho prob ended up about $20 more than that. One biggish pressie and books from us, a small pressie from Santa and then bits and pieces in the Santa Sack. Next year will try for around $100-$120.

My siblings all have partners, DHs all single - but this year all have just got a card Hannah made, a photo and an instant kiwi. Same for our grandparents.

Combined - card, photo, instant kiwi and calendars that we made.

No

Probably around $300 incl me and DH buying for each other.

This is our first year hosting so didnt think about Xmas clubs etc. It will be seperate - tho over the next few weeks will try and stock up on a few things.

We buy for each other, tho I give Daniel a list of things Iwould like to choose off of! We set a $50 limit as well.

Edited by aimeejoy
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 5:45pm
Me - but we don't buy for dh's family

I had an idea of what I would spend and pretty much came within that.

My sis doesn't have a partner, but when she did I didn't buy for him

Combined for mum, seperate for Dad, though this year mum is seperate too

No

$450ish

Normal, but we usually spend half at mums and half at dads. This year at home but just the 3 of us so no big plans

We buy for each other, but this year M wont tell me what he wants, other than money for clothes, so that is what he will get. Not sure if I am getting anything at all
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 6:30pm

I usually do most of it on my own but I sometimes get hubby to at least drive he there and then him and McKayla share something to eat while I zip into the shops.

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? Mmmm not really. We dont do big huge stuff on Christmas. We go bigger on birthdays. Christmas to me is not all about the presents and I dont want her to think it is either.

You know what we have decided we are only buying for siblings if they are actually with us on Christmas and then not to go too huge. We did a bit this year with Grants sister but I dont think we will spent several years Christmas with her again. (just circumstances.)

What about your parents? Combined or separate?We dont buy for parents from us but from McKayla. So it usually have something to do with her. This year is calenders and hopefully hand and foot prints if she allows us too.

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles?No it just starts getting ridicilous. We are buying for the kids at the moment but nothing more than 15 or 20 bucks.

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? Mmm bit difficult to say as it changes every year. This year I bought a few stuff beforehand for McKayla. All up it was $100 which is actually a lot for Christmas.

Hubby will be about $140.

Sister was $60.

Then we still have the stockings for the three to go which adds up to quite a bit in the end.

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? This year we are having friends over and it it just a BBQ. So adding another $200 as food and drinks and extra stuff for the holiday season onto my normal food budget.

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? We sometimes buy something we want/need together. Like last year was the BBQ. This year however I am getting him something just from me. Silly but I might actually not get any present. I think the last time I actually really got my own present was the first year we have been together. Guess I am too naughty.

That's about it I think... TIA if you answer my nosey questions...

Naa not too nosy.

[/QUOTE]

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 8:04pm
Wow, pressie limits seem to have gone up a WHOLE lot since I was a kid! My poor deprived children won't be getting anything over $100 (when they're older). When they're younger, I'm going to try and limit that to between $50-75 each. I figure every day is children's day anyway with the amount of stuff they get!

We spend about $200 on presents at the moment (pre-baby), with token $20 pressies for my sis, DH's little brother (don't really know his older two), MIL (don't know FIL well enough either), mum, dad, and grandparents. I like Xmas on a budget - the feast and our holiday away are usually the main expenses (about $1000 all up).
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 8:17pm
I love polls!!

Me. I often ask DH for ideas for the guys, or run my general ideas past him before I go shopping. I try to show him what "we" got before they are wrapped!

We have been living off student allowance for most of our marriage so our (scrimpy) budget for each of us is $20 with a bit extra allowance upwards.

Combo - it's so much easier!! (I buy separate presents for 2 brothers but if a brother is married, he gets a joint pressie with his wife.)

Whatever seems to suit. Usually combo.

No, we have nearly 100

About $360

There is a small allowance in our Christmas savings for this but we don't host Christmas Day, are only expected to contribute towards (e.g.) something for dessert - so not too expensive.

Separate. I like gifts!!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 8:28pm

I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? I do most of it, however DH has to come with me to do his families presents.

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? Not really

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? Combined

What about your parents? Combined or separate? Combined

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? Nope

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? Incuding postage about $500, but it is spread throughout the year.

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? I do xmas club so save for that during the year and then buy food at the time I can, we haven't hosted an xmas lunch so haven't had to buy all the food before.

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? Used to but this year we have decided not to and wait till after he has come back from basic to buy each other something (we'll have more money then).

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 9:38pm
was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? I try to do it on my own

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? It used to be $100, now down to $50.

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? Don't buy for siblings or their partners

What about your parents? Combined or separate? Combined

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? No

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? Budget is $350 but will probably get closer to $500 with Xmas stockings

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? I will spend about 20% for a couple of weeks before and after Xmas. I stock up on softdrinks, stocking fillers etc before, buy last minute food a day or two before, then end up having lots of social things on over the Xmas/New Year period so spend more.

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? We've always bought for each other, considering a shared present this year.

tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 11:07am
I was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own? I do it. the less shopping df does with me the better. he cant stand shopping and he loves sitting there and christmas day seeing what i bought everyone lol

Do you have a limit on how much you spend on your children? yes but i never stick to it

Do you buy separate presents for your siblings and their partners (if they have one) or do you buy a combined present? for dfs family his brother and their partners get a box of chocs and a lotto ticket, but as my brothers and sister are still rather young(my brothers are 3,9 and my sis is 11) i get them eacha pressie

What about your parents? Combined or separate? dfs parents combined(box of chocs and lotto ticket lol) but mine seperate as they arent together

Do you buy for cousins/aunts/uncles? we buy for my auntie and unlce on my mums side, but thats cos we are pretty close. if we bought for all dfs aunties and uncles i would need a loan-his mum is one of 15!

How much do you estimate that you spend all up on Christmas Presents for everyone? nope far to scared at what the answer will be

Do you include your food shopping for Christmas Day in your Christmas budget? Or do you buy as you go each week leading up to Christmas Day? i dont buy food. even though we are hosting this year i rang me grandma and asked if her and mum could sort the food out. my brain is to mushy to think about food.

Do you buy for your partner? Or do you do a combined present to each other? yup. but he has already had it. he will get the normal socks and chocs in his stocking though
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 11:12am
i was just wondering who does the majority of your families shopping, do you do it with your partner or on your own?
we do it together....i say i want to get this, DH agrees

$200 each

yes, we buy combined

combined

not anymore

we spend $200 and that covers all my family, then $400 on the kids, $50-100 on DH parents

save and do a big christmas food shop

combined

Edited by jack_&_charli

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 4:08pm
I do most of it. Try to get DH to think of ideas but he's a bit clueless!

No, but we have spent about $120 and that will be it now.

Yes - BIL and his gf who live together. My bro has a gf and I just giving her a box of choc's. SIL is single, but we are just buying for her daughter, and shes just buying for Isla.

Seperate this year, but combined if it happens that way with what we wanna get- ie if the present is over about $60 then we will give combined, and buy something small each as well.

No

$450

Going to inlaws house, but will take something. Have started adding to weekly shopping stuff fro over the christmas period when stuff on special,..like fizzy drink and sweets to make rocky road- family tradition!

We buy something small for each other.
MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 5:12pm
Well this is my first xmas with a child so.. i dont plan on having a limit but shes 3 months old ya know shes not gonna notice.

I buy seperate presents for siblings partners. Well, for my brothers wife anyway cause she is always around lol.

Definately seperate for parents as so are they lol.

Only my closest cousins, aunts and uncles. The ones i spend xmas with.

I estimate spending TOO MUCH! lol.

I dont do food shopping.

I have no partner. lol.

Hope it helsp.. dont think it will but oh well lol
Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs
 Post Reply Post Reply