FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"No"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "No"
    Posted: 13 December 2005 at 11:11pm
Well darling little Arna () has decided that NO is her new favourite word - and only when she has something she's not allowed and I ask for her to give it to me... before the whole "no" started happening this is usually what would happen...
"Ta for mum" (eg She has a pen)
- Arna will try and run away but I will catch her!
"You know that you are not allowed that (whatever it is) Please give it to Mummy"
- She gives it / throws it at me.

That I could handle - Now it's more like
"Ta for Mum"
"NO NO NO"
"Please can you give (that) to Mummy"
"NO NO"
"OK well I will take it off you then and you can sit in the middle of the floor"
"NO NO NO NO NO" - While she is running away
- So I go up to her and take the thing off her and explain why and sit her in the middle of the floor so she can have the inevitable tantrum.

My dilemma is since she has started learning what No is the tantrums are alot longer, high pitch and nerve wracking (and stressful!) When she says no to me for whatever reason I stop her then and there and explain that backchatting etc is not allowed...

Am I fighting a losing battle for limited backchat (I kow every kid does it!) or do I perservere?

Sorry if I have gone round in circles!!
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 8:33am
well, Jake isn't at that stage yet....but i know it's coming...sigh. It sounds like you are doing the right thing Lena. I mean, it's just a stage right? So just perservere and she'll get the message. Then again, all my knowledge of kids that age is now coming from watching four episodes of "supernanny"
k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 10:24am
hey lena well i did do a reply earlier but i keep changing it so when i went to post it i was logged out so threw my hands in the air and walked away lol. anyway back onto the topic. im sure it is a phase - with my boys a very long one lol. they still tell me no when i take things off them they arent allowed but i just ignored the "no" and focus on the thing they arent allowed as they usually know they not meant to have that item or be climbing onto my computer desk or pulling everything out of the fridge lol i could go on. anyway i was told that kiddies say no heaps cos they hear from us eg being told no you cant have that and its such an easy word for them to say so i wouldnt worry too much about her saying it. shes prob not old enough to understand the concept of backchatting you.
Well on to the tantys. I tell you i thought i had the cruisiest kids until they hit 2!!!!!! OMG i didnt know they could holler and scream for so long and so enthusically (sp?) lol. the first one was at plunket and keegs needed a nap change but has probs with strangers seeing his bits so packed a snot and upturned all the furniture!!! not bad for a skinny little 10kg 2year old

plunket told me typical 2 year old behaviour - i know arnas not quite 2 yet but maybe shes putting in some practice lol
The way i cope with the tantys (and thank goodness they arent too bad now) is to tell them to go lie on their beds until they feel better or if they are having timeout i just go outside or turn the sounds on lol. it will get better i swear
hope this rambling helps you lol
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 10:27am
oh and ps the plunket nurse said to totally ignore the tantys if poss of course making sure your child is safe. as yet i havent had to deal with really public tantys so dont quite know what i would do then!!!!
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 11:07am
Kiya went through this. Here's what I did:

Tantrums: made sure she was somewhere safe, then walked off. When the nonsense ended, I would go back to her and we'd have a cuddle and a little talk about whatever it was she'd done wrong. Kiya quickly learnt that throwing herself on the floor screaming got her nowhere except into time-out, and no attention, but giving Mummy a cuddle and saying "sorry" was better because then Mummy would play with her. If we were out, I would crouch down, and calmly tell her that if she did not stop, we would be going home/going to sit in the car. I was prepared to follow through on my words, and I only had to a couple of times before she got the message.

Backchat: I didn't ignore the backchat altogether, but a simple "This is not how you talk to Mummy" was enough for then, and I dealt with it later on when she was a bit older and not throwing tantrums all the time. Since Kiya had the idea that shouting at Mummy was wrong, it was easy to extend it to that she should speak respectfully to adults. I started working on the backchat when Kiya was about 3.5, and Nathaniel and I are still working on it a little... I have the feeling this is something we'll be dealing with until she moves out of home, but little by little she's getting the idea.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 1:33pm
was going to write a reply - but Becca nailed it in one.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 2:32pm
hehehe My sister and I have only just grown out of back chatting and now they've got my brother going into it good and proper!

Just wait Lena... one year old backchatting is nothing compared to a 13 year old!

Good luck with it though. I think you are on the right track. Just remember to try and smile when kids are throwing tantrums. Stressing about it isn't going to stop them any sooner and only causes problems for you. (Yes, all very well saying this before my child has started throwing tantys... but I'm going to do my best to just laugh)

That's a question I could ask - is it possible to be happy and laugh at a tantrum or am I setting myself up for disappointment???
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 3:28pm
Thanks for all your advice guys - not sure if I said this in my first post (too lazy to look!) but when she packs a tanty I put her in the middle of the lounge floor (when it isn't covered in toys!) and justlet her go for it - go and do something and come back a few minutes later... she doesn't know how to calm herself down on her own so I am going back and giving her cuddles after about 2 minutes... just taking it one step at a time.

I won't focus on the "no" so much now - more the actions and hopefully something will come right!!

Haha Nikki - Laughing will be good so you don't get angry but not sure how Hannah would react!! Don't worry Arna's first MAJOR tantrum I was crying with laughing tears!! Oops...
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 4:54pm
I would laugh at Kiya's tantrums all the time! She started feeling silly, so they stopped - she didn't like being laughed at, and would tantrum about us laughing until I said "if you don't want us to laugh, don't be so funny!"
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 9:56pm
Maya made herself vomit in the car today from screaming so hard (overtired and grumpy). Unfortunately she has been doing this since she was about 6 months old - every so often she will get really worked up about something and scream until she is physically sick. Then I don't know whether to be angry that she did it, or feel sorry for her being sick

But you sound like you have the right ideas Lena (and Becca - supermum ). We use the bathroom for time out but this wouldn't work for everyone - luckily I have a kid that would rather scream than make a mess of get into the bathroom cupboards. But she has learnt now what to expect from time out and will often stop screaming immediately when I warn her to stop.

It is a buggar tho when she runs away and I have to chase her...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 10:01am
lol I'll bet I'll be pretty fit once Hannah learns how to run I can imagine she'll be an escape artist
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 11:38am
Arna LOVES running down the driveway - and our driveway is about 200-300metres long so I get good running practice!!
 Post Reply Post Reply